Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many songs do you have on iTunes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've migrated to Spotify so I have millions now mwahaha

But back in iTunes I had about 10-15 thousand

ReputationRep:
    1705 on itunes. Though I've switched over to Spotify now, so it varies really. I'm such a lastfm geek, constantly checking what are my most played and stuff!

ReputationRep:
    I feel concerned for those who have millions of songs; you clearly can't be discerning customers, to say the least

ReputationRep:
    3492 but a lot of it is stuff I've borrowed from school to do work etc, so the amount I listen to regularly is a lot smaller

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    2415 :yep:

ReputationRep:

I must admit that I prefer downloading to listening :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    About 300.

I really don't see the point in having tens of thousands of songs. If you listen to them all evenly it would take months to get through all of them, and if you have a few dozen favourite albums then there's going to be thousands of songs you've never heard by artists you know nothing about. If you ask me it's a waste of hard disk space.

ReputationRep:
    613. I should probably put on some more, but tbh I don't listen to them all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    7715, 27.6 days, 48.77 GB

not including podcasts which are a further 6.75 gb due to a near complete archive of Mark Kermode's film reviews lol

I deleted all my audio books recently too gonna have to do a purge again

ReputationRep:
    i have 1671
    bf has like 8366
    housemate has roughly 60,000 0_o

ReputationRep:
    3297 - 26.37gb :d

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people keep saying "I don't see what's the point in having so many songs, you can't listen to them all" and I don't understand why people will 'clean out' their library.

Firstly, it gets boring listening to the same music over and over, having a large library gives you the freedom to listen to something different all the time. Secondly, even if you don't want to listen to something all the time, having the other music there, isn't doing any harm, I mean if you're not short on space, there's really no point deleting it. If you delete it, that's it, you can't ever listen to it even if you want to, unless you go through the hassle of downloading it again, whereas, just keeping it there, gives you the option. You might not listen to it often at all but it's still there should you ever feel like listening to it. So yeah, I see no reason to 'clean out' songs, doing so only restricts my choices and offers no advantages compared to keeping it, which gives me an option, which is clearly a good thing.

Of course you can't listen to so much music all at once but you know, there's no time constraint on how long you have to listen to it all. You may have some favourite artists you listen to all the time but every so often, you might want something different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    I don't get why people keep saying "I don't see what's the point in having so many songs, you can't listen to them all" and I don't understand why people will 'clean out' their library.

Firstly, it gets boring listening to the same music over and over, having a large library gives you the freedom to listen to something different all the time. Secondly, even if you don't want to listen to something all the time, having the other music there, isn't doing any harm, I mean if you're not short on space, there's really no point deleting it. If you delete it, that's it, you can't ever listen to it even if you want to, unless you go through the hassle of downloading it again, whereas, just keeping it there, gives you the option. You might not listen to it often at all but it's still there should you ever feel like listening to it. So yeah, I see no reason to 'clean out' songs, doing so only restricts my choices and offers no advantages compared to keeping it, which gives me an option, which is clearly a good thing.

Of course you can't listen to so much music all at once but you know, there's no time constraint on how long you have to listen to it all. You may have some favourite artists you listen to all the time but every so often, you might want something different.
    The point isn't really cleaning out songs you already have, but questioning why you have them in the first place. Of course you can have as many songs as you want to, but if you do have literally thousands it's just unnecessary, because you could have a thousand more, and a thousand more on top of that, and why don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    The point isn't really cleaning out songs you already have, but questioning why you have them in the first place. Of course you can have as many songs as you want to, but if you do have literally thousands it's just unnecessary, because you could have a thousand more, and a thousand more on top of that, and why don't you?

What? Your argument makes so little sense, that it's a stretch to even call it so. The reason you have them in the first place, are for exactly the reasons I already outlined. It gives you the freedom to listen to whatever you want, whenever you feel like, instead of being constrained to the same set of songs week in and week out.

As for the last bit of your 'argument'. Well, there's nothing to say other than, are you serious? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Are you seriously saying, a reason not to have a large library is because it could always be bigger? Just...wow. Just to humour you, the reason I don't have thousands more and then thousands more is because I don't have all the time in the ****ing world you know, not to mention all the hard drive space. I could say the same thing about your library. Why don't you just have zero songs? I mean if you have, however many songs you have, you could just have more and more, you know? No. You don't know. Because that's a ****ing stupid thing to say but oh wait, that's exactly the 'argument' you made.

I find music I like, when I have the time to do so, I continously do this when I feel like it. I end up with a large library of songs since I don't delete any previous things I've downloaded due to HDD space not being an issue, and so to do so would be counter-intuitive, as like I said before, it does no harm having them and it expands my choice, rather than contracting it by deleting.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I guess my aim to just be able to write a succinct post without need to overtly explain failed.

My point is this:
    The masses of songs we have is arbitrary in that if we have these masses so that we have 'choice what we want to listen to', then where do we stop with our freedom of choice? Building a collection of say, 3000 songs that you won't ever have time to listen to, or even want to listen to to even bother in the first place, is the same as 6000, is the same as 100,000: it still ends up not being listened to, even though you have 'the freedom to'. I don't see the point of hoarding songs if they are just passing fancies. Surely you spend/waste the same amount of time downloading a song as deleting one

It's obviously a personal thing: I have music that never tires with me, and I think that's a good thing. And personally (since you seem to have taken my post quite so), if you get bored with your music to such a level that you have thousands of songs on hand to listen to, all presumably equal in your estimation, then you need to find some real music to listen to. As someone said, quality not quantity.

My argument has nothing to do with being able to add and expand your musical tastes, rather, questions your musical tastes in the first place. Though it would be nice if I liked as much music as you seem to. I would never have to listen to one song more than once: how freeing that would be

ReputationRep:
    11 songs all from ITAOTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Silk Cobra)
    Just wondered how many songs people had on their ITunes?
    I'm at 17,000
    ~1400

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    Hmm, I guess my aim to just be able to write a succinct post without need to overtly explain failed.

My point is this:
    The masses of songs we have is arbitrary in that if we have these masses so that we have 'choice what we want to listen to', then where do we stop with our freedom of choice? Building a collection of say, 3000 songs that you won't ever have time to listen to, or even want to listen to to even bother in the first place, is the same as 6000, is the same as 100,000: it still ends up not being listened to, even though you have 'the freedom to'. I don't see the point of hoarding songs if they are just passing fancies. Surely you spend/waste the same amount of time downloading a song as deleting one

It's obviously a personal thing: I have music that never tires with me, and I think that's a good thing. And personally (since you seem to have taken my post quite so), if you get bored with your music to such a level that you have thousands of songs on hand to listen to, all presumably equal in your estimation, then you need to find some real music to listen to. As someone said, quality not quantity.

My argument has nothing to do with being able to add and expand your musical tastes, rather, questions your musical tastes in the first place. Though it would be nice if I liked as much music as you seem to. I would never have to listen to one song more than once: how freeing that would be
    I'm tired of hearing people say 'you won't have time to listen to it'. I don't plan on dying anytime soon, sure I may get hit by a bus but that's not something you normally take into consideration. The fact is, there is no time limit in which I must listen to all this music, I can listen to it at my leisure, sure, there may be some stuff that I only listen to very occasionally and other stuff I listen to far more frequently but the point is, I still have as long as I want to listen to it. So the time thing isn't relevant. Secondly, I don't download artists who I don't want to listen to at all, I might not listen to them as much as other artists, everyone has favourites they listen to more but the fact is, I still enjoy listening to them. So the not wanting to listen to them, again, isn't relevant.

You say, you don't see the point in hoarding songs that are passing fancies. When did I ever say they were only passing fancies? Everything I have in my library, I listen to, as I've said, some artists more frequently than others but I still listen to it. I still like it, I still enjoy it. So again, that's not a problem. Even if, hypothetically, it was just a passing fancy, that shouldn't stop it being in your library, you liked it once - hence downloading it, it's not doing any harm being there and you may possibly like it again, so why delete it?

I never said I tire of my music. I have a lot of artists I adore listening to a lot however as much as I adore them, I do not wish to listen to them over and over again, everytime I listen to music. Similarly, everyone has favourite foods but no one wants to eat the same thing every time they eat (ignoring nutritional values). So as long as I keep finding music that I like, I will continue to download music and since I'm not deleting music, my library will continue to grow and I will end up with a larger variety of music. The amount of music I have has no bearing on the quality. You may have 10 artists, you can listen to over and over again and still enjoy, I however, may have 50 artists I can listen to over and over again and still enjoy, that means, I can listen to something different, every time I listen to music and still gain the same satisfaction from it and still end up listening to a much larger variety, instead of listening to the same thing all the time.

You seem to be making this strange assumption that having a large library means you never listen to the same thing. You do realise, you still get to choose what you listen to right? I may want to listen to one album and then feel like listening to another artist after that finishes, I may not know what I want to listen to, so I'll scroll through and see what I like the look of at the time. Everything gets listened to at some point because, like I've already said, I don't download music I don't like and thus there will always be a point where I want to listen to said artist. I don't have to listen to something different every time either, I'll go through phases of listening to one artist a lot but that doesn't mean I should delete the rest of my music as it's not being listened to, just because I'm not listening to it at that particular time, doesn't mean I don't like it and in a months time I may start listening to things on shuffle again, I may start almost listening to one other artist or I may start listening to a wider range of select artists. Who knows, I have the option to do whatever I want with it.

ReputationRep:
    2190. (15.28GB)

There's about 1500 as well on my old laptop that I haven't bothered to copy over. I only brought over about 800 songs from my old laptop.

I only have 1445 song on my iPod though (that's about 10GB out of the 16GB of space). Those are the ones that I listen to regularly...

This thread has made me want to get some more music... Off to amazon MP3 I go! (Even if I wanted to illegally download, I couldn't as I'm in uni halls and it's monitored )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.