Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best real time strategy game? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Command and Conquer series. More specifically, C&C: Generals.

ReputationRep:
    AOE
    The first one
    <3

ReputationRep:
    Anno 1404 for me.

ReputationRep:
    Any of the Command and Conquer series.

Oh I remember playing the original on PS1

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft I
    Starcraft II

Warcraft III with frozen throne expansion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAXED)
    ...for the PC

...and Why? Try to qualify your answer.. how many RTS games have you played to compare it to?
    How long did you play it for?
    Game: Rome: Total War
    Developer: Creative Assembly
    Publisher: Activision
    Year Released: 2004

Synopsis: Creative Assembly's third entry in the Total War series represents some of the deepest, most polished, and addictive strategic gameplay out there. Fusing a 4X style overworld map with riveting real-time battles, there was a near overwhelming amount of expertly designed content to chew through. The A.I. always put up a challenging fight, making aggressive overworld map moves and employing effective tactics on the battlefield. Rome offered even more complex siege battles, cities whose appearance reflected the structures placed therein, a wide range of highly detailed units, and unprecedented sound design. This is one of those games that when you start playing, it's near impossible to stop, and is certainly worthy of being considered one of the top PC games of all time.

ReputationRep:
    CIVILIZATION 5?

I love it, but it sucks when you lose after playing a 'quick' game for 5 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick50)
    Game: Rome: Total War
    Developer: Creative Assembly
    Publisher: Activision
    Year Released: 2004

Synopsis: Creative Assembly's third entry in the Total War series represents some of the deepest, most polished, and addictive strategic gameplay out there. Fusing a 4X style overworld map with riveting real-time battles, there was a near overwhelming amount of expertly designed content to chew through. The A.I. always put up a challenging fight, making aggressive overworld map moves and employing effective tactics on the battlefield. Rome offered even more complex siege battles, cities whose appearance reflected the structures placed therein, a wide range of highly detailed units, and unprecedented sound design. This is one of those games that when you start playing, it's near impossible to stop, and is certainly worthy of being considered one of the top PC games of all time.
    Really? I found the AI on RTW so much easier than MTW 1 or 2 , weird.

ReputationRep:
    SC2 all the way

The fact that im a korean doesnt make it biased at all
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires 2: Conquerers. I lost the majority of my pre-teen years to that game. I'm a sucker for the Dawn of War series too.

ReputationRep:
    Total Annihilation is quite good if you download extra units.

ReputationRep:
    Company of Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Supreme commander 2 is the one for me!

I know it causes a lot of arguments that Forged Alliance is better but for pure pick up and play Supcom 2 is amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, of course!

RA3 had so much potential... but it just felt watered down in comparison. No guard unit ability? Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    The Total War series isn't really an RTS series, though. It's turn based til you get into the battles, so is much more of a hybrid.

I'm not a big fan of RTS games, really. Mostly cause I'm ****e at them. Did quite enjoy Red Alert back in the day, though, so I'll say it.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get age of empires 3 with all the expansion packs for 10p just before Christmas?

What a bargain that was!!! And an awsome game!

ReputationRep:
    Rome: Total war all the way and back again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    Age of Mythology was an absolute classic.
    I remember how amazed I was when I found out that the trees actually fell down when woodcutting. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAXED)
    ...for the PC

...and Why? Try to qualify your answer.. how many RTS games have you played to compare it to?
    How long did you play it for?
    LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth II, because each type of soldier is directly weak to another type, and strong against another. Basically you have a very complicated game of rock, paper, scissors going on at multiple times with different numbers of hands in different locations each with different special abilities dependant on which race you're fighting, it's very challenging but very rewarding. It also has a good online ranking system that'll get you games after only around 30 secs queueing.

It's getting on in age though (2007/8 perhaps?) so if you want something more modern then go for StarCraft II, though I hear that the multiplayer gives a lot of room for specific pwnage strategies, which can be off-putting unless you learn a few in order to avoid losing at the very start of the match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    Rome: Total war all the way and back again.
    Absolutely agree with that.
    That was a great game!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but will it work on a windows 7 64 bit laptop?
    I heard different things about compatability.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.