Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook + embarrassing parents= disaster! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a problem where my granny saw some 'like' which she thought I may be doing to my sister (Saying **** in front of a little kid, then saying **** when you realise how young they are)
    after some family episode I deleted all my adult family member and am better for it

ReputationRep:
    When you update your status, click on the padlock and then customise and then block her from seeing it. That way, she can still see your wall so she has no idea you posted a status, she'll just think you haven't posted one for ages. If you don't post many anyway, it won't even be too suspicious. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I know, my own fault for having my mum as a 'friend' on Facebook but I had to accept or she would have nagged me endlessly!

She's so embarrassing though, she clicks like on every single status and comment on my wall and leaves comments which are cringe worthy and sometimes don't even relate to the status or make sense!

I've gone as far as changing my privacy settings a couple of times so she couldn't see my wall or couldn't click like or comment but then she just had a massive teenage-hissy-fit about it and I had to change the settings and asked her politely to not click like on everything I do but it didn't work and she still clicks like on everything! I don't actually update my status that often but it's usually with something witty and having my mum like it, makes it less witty imo.. She, on the other hand practically lives on Facebook and it's stupid games (farm-thing for example) which I refuse to go on and her own wall is filled with things she has achieved on these games.. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this problem with a parent/ other relative, or perhaps a solution lol

I tried to find a 'my mum likes all my statuses group' to join so she would get the hint but no such luck!
    my mum so does this too. She comments on things when she wouldnt even know what i was talking about. because she thinks that the home page is actually her wall so she has to respond to everything as soon as she signs in! and usually on my status's she'll write 'big hugs love you loads xxxxxx'

ReputationRep:
    older people on facebook will be the main downfall of the website. young teens have already started to move across to things like twitter as facebook becomes less cool/social status with peoples parents discovering it.

all these things have their shelf life

plus add the heightened privacy settings and tonnes of advertising

just like what happened with bebo, myspace etc

ReputationRep:
    blockherblockherblockher!! change your privacy settings so she cant see status updates/wall posts/etc. if she moans, tell her she can keep in touch via PMs.

cant believe you put up with her doing this, so glad my mum isnt a facebook-psycho like yours!

ReputationRep:
    Poke her.

ReputationRep:
    You can edit the privacy of each status as you post it, so that there could be individual ones which she can't see... use the little lock under the status when you post it and go on customise.

Overall though I wouldn't worry too much. I know what you mean about people (usually of an older generation) not knowing the 'etiquette' of facebook. Liking EVERYTHING, typing wrong, all sorts. But to other people reading your statuses, it wont seem embarrassing at all, because everyone knows someone like this, hence they understand it's just what they do and don't look negatively on it.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily my mum's not too bad. Only time she comments on statuses is when I mention playing guitar and she'll ask if I'm playing any Queen (No) or last night when I posted the following:

"Dear flat 6, room C below me girls ,

If I get one more night of this I will personally break down your door, come into your room and pierce your ear drums with a rusty knife before ritualistically burning those speakers over your face.

Sincerely yours,
    Me"

In reply to the room below me blasting out DnB at 1:30am - thus waking me up from a sweet slumber - loud enough to make my floor and/or desk repeatedly go *Bvvvvvvv Bvvvvvvvv*
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Luckily my mum's not too bad. Only time she comments on statuses is when I mention playing guitar and she'll ask if I'm playing any Queen (No) or last night when I posted the following:

"Dear flat 6, room C below me girls ,

If I get one more night of this I will personally break down your door, come into your room and pierce your ear drums with a rusty knife before ritualistically burning those speakers over your face.

Sincerely yours,
    Me"

In reply to the room below me blasting out DnB at 1:30am - thus waking me up from a sweet slumber - loud enough to make my floor and/or desk repeatedly go *Bvvvvvvv Bvvvvvvvv*
    What did she reply on that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    What did she reply on that?!
    "Harsh... but last night I felt like bashing that neighbour with his punchbag"

Our neighbour is a guy who works out at 2am with a punchbag and running up and down the stairs.

Last night's event just really pissed me off though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.