Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it immoral to want to hit somebody? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I agree. I don't think any human's opinion/belief is total. It all stems from our unique/subjective view of the universe.
    But I dont want to feel like I am spreading bad ideas so Im going to say that hitting someone can be seen as a form of self violence if you view the other as yourself which ultimately they are. Because the law of karma means that the energy you send out comes back to you. For example if you really loved your pet dog I doubt you would hit them for taking a crap on the floor. How can you if they dont know what theyre doing. I think theres similarities between that and wanting to hit a human if you really loved a human as your brother/sister how could you want to hit them. They dont know what theyre doing also. Just because someones 100 years old doesnt mean theyre perfect.

Violence can sometimes be seen as a loss of self control. Like you feel so angry and resist whats happening so much/feel such an ego loss that you seek to regain it feeling more powerful for a split second or feel like your in control of the situation. Also you are are spreading fear which is the cause of all negativity. Or you fear a situation which doesnt really have much need to be feared.

Many times you hate someone if you feel they are a threat to you for whatever reason a religious person may hate someone of another religion because the other persons ideas may seek to threaten the other persons sense of self. Or you could even hate another male competition because you feel they threaten your chance for love/sex/ which may mean control, approval, security, fulfilment which are natural human desires. It really depends on your subjective view of what is a threat to you. For example if you are a child who has never kissed a girl and you like a girl who is about to kiss another guy you may hate the other guy because you find him to be a threat, in finding him to be a threat you may feel an urge to feel more in control /boost your ego. Whereas if youve married many times and had sex many times this situation wouldnt make you feel threatened.

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether you base your ethics upon the action, the intention, or a combination.

ReputationRep:
    wanting to beat someone up != actually beating someone up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    yes it is immoral. I was hit in the back of the neck for no reason when I was 16 by boys from my class while I was only playing in my front garden with my toys and I am now 21 and my neck always clicks it has ruined my life.
    click waste-man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    It depends whether you base your ethics upon the action, the intention, or a combination.
    this! very well played..
    also, if I may be so bold... you're hotttt

ReputationRep:
    It is immoral, unless you have no other option, like self defence.
    or they said something that boils your blood and you just snap and thwack them.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't conform to social norms. only low intelligence/low class people do.
    Glad to see you're still talking out your arse despite the length of time you've been on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Glad to see you're still talking out your arse despite the length of time you've been on here.
    How am I talking crap? Most people don't follow social norms, it's a simple fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    There is no base for personal ethics.

ReputationRep:
    No. Better than actually doing it, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    lol... are the only answers liberal/PC ideas about being "kind"?

why does it matter if somebody hits another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Morality doesn't exist, it's a social construct. Do whatever the heck you like when you like, but when the hammer of social convention and society pound down upon you make sure it was worth it.
    so you pretty much do whatever you like?

ReputationRep:
    lol... are the only answers liberal/PC ideas about being "kind"?

why does it matter if somebody hits another?
    because humans are social, if we weren't we wouldn't have houses or any scientific advancements or laws which protect and more people would rather have these things. you wouldn't be able to boast about how only unintelligent people follow social norms on the internet if there wasn't any because without society, which is built up of social norms, the ones people feel most strongly about becoming laws, and people living and working together there wouldn't be the internet. I was going to say that you would still be living in a mud hut but that's inaccurate you wouldn't have the luxury of a hut you'd just live in the wilderness searching for food occasionally mating when you came across another human like the rest of the non social animals in the world.
    society is good for humans, people hitting each other every time they feel the urge is bad for society therefore hitting people whenever you feel like is bad.

ReputationRep:
    It is ok to want to hit and hit someone for a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Immoral ha, in Scotland we use screw drivers and .38snubs.

It is a mortal sin NOT to teabag your quarry in public(best done in marks and spencers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    because humans are social, if we weren't we wouldn't have houses or any scientific advancements or laws which protect and more people would rather have these things. you wouldn't be able to boast about how only unintelligent people follow social norms on the internet if there wasn't any because without society, which is built up of social norms, the ones people feel most strongly about becoming laws, and people living and working together there wouldn't be the internet. I was going to say that you would still be living in a mud hut but that's inaccurate you wouldn't have the luxury of a hut you'd just live in the wilderness searching for food occasionally mating when you came across another human like the rest of the non social animals in the world.
    society is good for humans, people hitting each other every time they feel the urge is bad for society therefore hitting people whenever you feel like is bad.
    there are no rules in society. everybody knows that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    so you pretty much do whatever you like?
    Most if not all healthy people do.

ReputationRep:
    Most if not all healthy people do.
    go and punch this guy then

ReputationRep:
    ok. it could be anybody else too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.