Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people think we will contact aliens? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I know that and I explained that in the OP, but my point was that the universe is 15 billion years old so it's unlikely any intelligent civilisation will exist now the same time as us, and it's even less likely we will be able to contact them right now.

What makes you think all life that is possible must exist right now?
    I'm not saying all life exists now. I'm sure there will life that will only start in a couple of millennia.
    I just believe that we're not the only intelligent life in the universe at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Stupid scientists?At least they use logic and scientific facts. What are you classed as for predicting that our civilization will vanish within the next century or so. A stupid prophet maybe?
    it's quite blatant. just look around you. the way today's society works will never last, we need to live in a completely new type of society and it is inevitable this will happen.

ReputationRep:
    You have a valid argument (even if you have presented it amazingly poorly) but you make a lot of assumptions. You're assuming that humanity will destroy itself within the next few centuries - there's no evidence to suggest that we will. Yes, it's a possibility but I think that there is at least an equal probability that we will establish a colony on another planet or moon within the next few centuries in which case we are very unlikely to destroy ourselves.

Secondly, you are assuming that any advanced intelligent alien life will share our destructive and violent tendencies and will therefore also have destroyed themselves quite soon after splitting the atom or learning how to manipulate genes. This may be the case but there are so many billion stars in our galaxy alone which could potentially host solar systems where intelligent life may have evolved that it is highly unlikely that (if life is as common as it logically should be) this will always be the case. Some intelligent life may be remarkably peaceful - others may be similar to or even more volatile than ourselves but may have managed to create colonies and therefore almost ensure their survival.

Finally, you are assuming that advanced alien life would be limited by the same technological capablities that we have now. A hundred years ago few people could have believed that wireless communication would be possible, let alone landing on the moon. It would be foolish I think to assume that intelligent life would not be able to rapidly communicate over or travel massive distances between stars. Also, you assume that intelligent life must be 1,000's of light years away when this isn't necessarily the case, they could be living within 100 or so light years of Earth and we wouldn't know about it. It's also possible (probably more likely) that we will encounter an alien probe if anything, such a probe could have been travelling for millions of years before finding us - if it had VI or even AI then it could still interact with us.

ReputationRep:
    What.... you didn't know that the pyramids were built by power crazy aliens as giant landing pads. The earth has made contact in the last 10 years with a wide range of aliens some who would have conquered the world had it not have been for the efforts of 4 people....

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Drake's Equation takes into account how long a civilization releases signals into space (though its only an estimate).
    See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_e...n#The_equation

ReputationRep:
    I know that and I explained that in the OP, but my point was that the universe is 15 billion years old so it's unlikely any intelligent civilisation will exist now the same time as us, and it's even less likely we will be able to contact them right now.

What makes you think all life that is possible must exist right now?
    what if their stupid? Or still evolving which takes a long time in order to become intelligent. You are just basing your argument on a being very similar to humans or things on this earth that you have seen, how far do you know that aliens aint something completely different or it could just be bacteria or something alike it still makes them aliens as they do not live on the same planet.
    I think you are the one being very narrow minded about this look at the big picture! its not as iff these intelligent beings are going to kill themselves and thats the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but my point was that it is extremely unlikely we will be able to contact other life while we exist on this planet. It is impossible for there not to be life in the universe before or after we exist, but there's no guarantee any intelligent life exists right now.
    True, maybe foreign lifeforms have already contacted us in the past. Also it is very very very unlikely that we are the only intelligent life force in the universe, im sure amung the millions of ''habitable'' planets, there are a dozen that harbour intelligent life.

ReputationRep:
    We all know life has, does and will exist throughout the universe - there's no questioning we are not alone - but consider my point. Humans have only been technologically advanced for maybe 60 years now after evolving for a couple hundred thousand years and there's no doubt we will probably only last a century or two more before our civilisations collapse or we kill ourselves. The universe has existed for 15 billion years. This means that any life that has existed probably doesn't exist now and there will be a very tiny number of civilisations with whom we could contact, which is diminished further when we look for civilisations close to ours. Thus, there is almost zero chance that we will ever make contact with another civilisation while we exist.

Why are people so ignorant of this fact? People (scientists) seem to be so narrow minded that they believe life must exist and it must exist right now, completely disregarding the fact that intelligent life doesn't last long (1000 years is a huge time scale, if we make contact with a civilisation 1000 light years away they probably won't be around by the time we receive their first message) and the enormous time scale for the existence of life in the universe. Is it because they are stupid, narrow minded or just sad?

Also give me your opinions on aliens, etcetera.
    How can you say that humanity will collapse? You can't compare the way people interact and live now to civilisations of the past. We live on a global scale and it's completely different to 500 years ago.

If hawkings is a fool, what are you? Because you're by no means the genius you think you are.

Scientists believing what they believe is definitely not narrow minded, they have a much broader vision than you do.

ReputationRep:
    Because the human race is desperate to take over another habitable planet and destroy its civilisations, and experiment on the possible aliens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    SKYLINE

edit:

Stephen Hawking: “If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans…

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.”

:sexface:
    for what was pretty much a B-movie I rather liked Skyline. The moral of the story is try and fry someone's mind with shiny lights too many times and his brain will glow red and mess you up if you put it in your head.

But anyway OP I see your point and I imagine most realise that we're more likely to find ancient ruins then a living civilisation but the odds are slim either way. Also I suppose the idea is that if a civilisation is able to become so advanced FTL travel is simple to them(only way they'll meet us) then they may have means of scanning incredibly distant worlds for signs of advanced life, so it's more likely they'd find us at the moment. Obviously they may not act, for all we know an alien species is aware of our existence right now and simply does not wish to make contact...wouldn't blame them if they'd watched us for the last few hundred years to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Or that what we conceive as life is not in fact the only type of life, there may be aliens all around us, each mutually unable to conceive of each other because our way of existence is so different. Like imagining a 3d world if you were entirely 2d - impossible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.