Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    If we forget the bigger picture for a second, from an acute point of view the Harry Potter books are so much more readable and easy to engage with. At times The Lord of the Rings saga is, well, downright boring. I'm no literary critic and nor will I ever be, and maybe I'd think differently if I was. As it is though, I'll always enjoy HP more.
    Spot is a lot more readable than Lord of the Rings too. There's a reason for that. It's aimed at children, as is Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is a literary masterpiece written for adults.

I've never found Lord of the Rings boring and I read it at least once a year. Harry Potter is something I go to for light reading.

You can't ignore the big picture when discussing things like this. Lord of the Rings has more depth, more history, more detail, more symbolism and meaning and is just all round better than Harry Potter.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    Harry Potter has captivated me slightly more in the past. I haven't seen a LOTR film in cinema, only on TV. aren't the movies like 3.45 hours looooooooooong bloody exhausting but good. I'm planning on watching both from the first movie to the last in a sort of marathon. for a whole day dedicated to that film. I'm also planning to do the same for star wars watch em in order from 1 to 6

this would be totally badass:sexface:
    Already done a marathon for Harry Potter

Already done a marathon of the Extended Editions of LOTR

It's epic :ahee:
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    books wise - LOTR. Okay the long winded poetry gets very tedious, but skipping over those, the rest of the books are far better written than The HP books.

film wise - LOTR again without a shadow of a doubt. How can you compare an epic fantasy, to fluff?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Harry Potter, but it's a bit like comparing pavarotti's voice to that of justin timberlake, ya know?

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings. I like the Harry Potter films, but Daniel Radcliffe angers me!

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the rings is epic !!!

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the rings, no competition whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Spot is a lot more readable than Lord of the Rings too. There's a reason for that. It's aimed at children, as is Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is a literary masterpiece written for adults.

I've never found Lord of the Rings boring and I read it at least once a year. Harry Potter is something I go to for light reading.

You can't ignore the big picture when discussing things like this. Lord of the Rings has more depth, more history, more detail, more symbolism and meaning and is just all round better than Harry Potter.
    You clearly can. I hate people who present themselves as experts and then analyse entertainment to death. LotR is a better literary piece, Harry Potter more enjoyable to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    You clearly can. I hate people who present themselves as experts and then analyse entertainment to death. LotR is a better literary piece, Harry Potter more enjoyable to read.
    In your opinion, maybe. I prefer Lord of the Rings; many people prefer Lord of the Rings, as evidenced by The Big Read a few years ago where it came out number 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    In your opinion, maybe. I prefer Lord of the Rings; many people prefer Lord of the Rings, as evidenced by The Big Read a few years ago where it came out number 1.
    Had the movies not been out at the same time, I think the results might have been a bit different...

ReputationRep:
    They are really different and cannot be compared.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and have been so half my life. (10 years). I also love Lord of the Rings. And I think the films are superior to the Harry Potter films, but I love both. I'm much more 'into' Harry Potter, but I also really love Lord of the Rings.
    Extended versions :ahee:

I cannot choose. But If I was forced to choose, I'd go with Harry Potter. 'Quality' doesn't matter, it's how much I enjoy books etc that does. And I believe Harry Potter to very well written books. The LOTR books, brilliant as they are, well I'd pick the films over them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Had the movies not been out at the same time, I think the results might have been a bit different...
    Quite possibly, but it remains that Harry Potter was fifth on the list, it also had movies out at the time and was an "international phenomenom". Lord of the Rings was first. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy beat Potter without a movie.

So, I'm inclined to believe that Lord of the Rings would still have beaten it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artie)
    Film wise, I'd have to go for Lord of the Rings. Epic battles, Epic setting, Epic Soundtrack.

But Book wise, I'd have to say Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is a nice read, but a bit heavy going!!
    I couldn't have put it better myself. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    The Lord of the Rings. It's an absolutely amazing trilogy, which I honestly don't think HP can be compared against.

I've not read neither of the books, so can't really comment on that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    The Lord of the Rings. It's an absolutely amazing trilogy, which I honestly don't think HP can be compared against.

I've not read neither of the books, so can't really comment on that matter.
    I love your sig :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult because while the LOTR films blow any other film out of the water, I've grown up with reading the HP books, so am slightly biased! I read LOTR when I was 10, so it didn't quite make too much sense, so I'd have to read it again to make a slightly better judgement. But while HP is more accessible, LOTR is much harder, but more worth it I'd say. Plus, Sauron beats Voldermort any day

ReputationRep:
    LOTR for quality, Harry Potter for pure nostalgia.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it all comes down to this:

BATTLE OF THE THEME TUNES!

Vs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I think the more important question is:

Gandalf vs Dumbledore - who would win?

What about Sauron vs Voldemort

Sorry Tom. Sauron has bigger enemy, cooler 'Death Eaters' who rides on dragons, and better looking.

(Original post by alharrison4)
    Gaaah, you beat me to it!

Harry Potter/ Dumbledore forever
    Ah but you see, Dumbledore did not survive forever

ReputationRep:
    The real question is:

OR

Although, I don't wanna know what Arwen is doing to Frodo in that picture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    The real question is:

OR

Although, I don't wanna know what Arwen is doing to Frodo in that picture...
    More like what she isn't doing, that's the perfect opportunity to pull a prank.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.