Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

40-60 minutes per day at the gym Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rest is as important as the exercise itself.

If you keep going 6 days a week you will get injured or fall into exhaustion.

Been there, done it, got the t-shirt.

However...you can go 6 days a week, if your mixing up cardio with weights. I do this, and it works well. But, I do often find myself quite exhausted going 6 times a week on top of other daily commitments.

So the best thing to do would be to go perhaps 4-5 days a week, and throw in a couple rest days. And make sure you get your 8 hours of beauty sleep.

ReputationRep:
    It is very important to incorporate "rest days" into your weight training program so that you allow time for your muscles to recovery in between workouts. Try to avoid weight training on consecutive days, even if you are targeting different muscle groups.

Don't forget that your body only builds muscle tissue when you are not weight training. Simply put, you build muscle while you are sleeping, not while you are at the gym! If you weight train and don't get an enough sleep, or train too often it can become nearly impossible to build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you are doing.

For weight lifting, generally you can get away with 3 45 minute full body sessions on non-consecutive days, or you can work out each muscle group 1-2x a week with 2-3 days off.

For hard running/interval cardio training, you almost treat it like a weight training session in terms of stress on the body, so the same 'rules' apply (they're aren't really any rules, but to low risk of mental/physical burnout).

For light cardio, you can do it up to 7 times a week - things like light biking, incline walking etc.

If you want to go 40-60 mins a day, I'd 40 minute of weights then 20 minute of hard cardio twice a week and then 3-4 days of lighter cardio for an hour. That along with a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight, ideally with healthy foods for health purposes (not body composition where generally calories in/calories out is everything), will be healthy and sustainable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZolaCFC25)
    It really depends on what you are doing.

For weight lifting, generally you can get away with 3 45 minute full body sessions on non-consecutive days, or you can work out each muscle group 1-2x a week with 2-3 days off.

For hard running/interval cardio training, you almost treat it like a weight training session in terms of stress on the body, so the same 'rules' apply (they're aren't really any rules, but to low risk of mental/physical burnout).

For light cardio, you can do it up to 7 times a week - things like light biking, incline walking etc.

If you want to go 40-60 mins a day, I'd 40 minute of weights then 20 minute of hard cardio twice a week and then 3-4 days of lighter cardio for an hour. That along with a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight, ideally with healthy foods for health purposes (not body composition where generally calories in/calories out is everything), will be healthy and sustainable.
    Congratulations on bumping a 4 year old thread.

Srsly I don't even know how people manage these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)

FFS. Not sure how that even happened.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 warning from mod

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    My goal is to lose weight not turn into female hulk hogan lol
    Pink female hulk hogan! :woo:

Lol

ReputationRep:

The OP could be a female bodybuilder now, or it wasn't sustainable after all. I guess we'll never know.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      wow, good lord, talk about a thread bump!

Well if y'all must know, I went to the gym for about 3 months, but was tied into a contract for a year which pissed me off. Then I gave up on the gym, counted calories, and walked. I lost all my weight and got down to 9 stone 5

Then I had another child and after he was born I was 12 stone 12 and had to start from scratch again.

So I did it all again, and on 1st August this year I was 9 stone 10

Since then I went on holiday, ate like a pig, and got hooked on monster. I'm somewhere in the region of 10 stone 10 now and very annoyed with myself. (top of normal BMI for me is 10 stone 6, so I'm only JUST overweight).

It'll come off though, I'm not going down the gym route again, it was a total waste of money.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by IanDangerously)
      The OP could be a female bodybuilder now, or it wasn't sustainable after all. I guess we'll never know.
      why would you never know? I'm not dead you know lol

ReputationRep:

Whats the issue with people bringing up old threads?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.