Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a bold bb and its pretty sexy. Its really good for emails, texting and bbm.
    If you want a phone for games and internet browsing, iphone is probably better.

ReputationRep:
    haha i got bb bold and ipod touch 4g 2 use 4 game

ReputationRep:
    Phone noob here, so would yo usay BB is the way to go for international students? (With a number of friends and families at home country using BB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    No.

Get an iPhone or HTC.
    iPhone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    iPhone..
    Personally, I would go for a HTC with the latest Android system, but iPhones are not terrible.

However.... ever heard of flash? :rolleyes:

iPhone just died.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would go for a HTC with the latest Android system, but iPhones are not terrible.

iPhone just died.
    Flash is so unreliable though and is incredibly slow on mobile devices.
    I'm forever having the ''flash has unexpectedly stopped working''
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    I have flash on my Desire HD and the browser is quicker than safari without flash. The fact I can just go on Bloomberg and stream the live broadcast is amazing, this is the same for any other streaming website. So no Flash is not unreliable and slow on mobile devices.

ReputationRep:
    No, they are horrible. :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    You're trying to justify iPhones not supporting flash by trying to put down flash? :rofl:

Oh no...

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to justify iPhones not supporting flash by trying to put down flash? :rofl:

Oh no...
    uh no i am just simply stating the many experiences i've had of flash on mobile devices.

ReputationRep:
    NO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenger)
    Simple answer to this thread:

If you call/text people abroad, or go abroad yourself quite often, then you you need BBM = SAVE MONEY

If you don't, then get another phone
    That's incorrect I'm afraid. In order for bbm to work while you're abroad, you need to enable roaming data. This costs you money when you receive/send anything through data like an email, facebook notification, or a bbm.

I should know because I racked up a £70 phone bill while I was away in Corsica for two weeks whilst using my blackberry with data turned on intermittently (as and when I wanted to use it).

(Original post by sophisticated)
      That's incorrect I'm afraid. In order for bbm to work while you're abroad, you need to enable roaming data. This costs you money when you receive/send anything through data like an email, facebook notification, or a bbm.

I should know because I racked up a £70 phone bill while I was away in Corsica for two weeks whilst using my blackberry with data turned on intermittently (as and when I wanted to use it).
      I think they mean you can BBM someone in Australia for free, where as if you were to text them normally you would be charged more than a standard text.

The only problem is with WhatsApp and PingChat, you don't need a BlackBerry to do that any more. Any smartphone will do, and it works cross-platform.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      I think they mean you can BBM someone in Australia for free, where as if you were to text them normally you would be charged more than a standard text.

The only problem is with WhatsApp and PingChat, you don't need a BlackBerry to do that any more. Any smartphone will do, and it works cross-platform.
      Yes, but they also said "if you go abroad yourself quite often" in which case it is wrong.

Granted it's free to bbm someone ELSE who is abroad when they're using bbm on a tarriff in another country and you're at home yourself. But it's not free to use bbm when say you travel from England to Spain and are using your blackberry on your UK contract with roaming enabled. No way. Its cheaper to call and text.

ReputationRep:

iPhone just died.
      Flash really isn't THAT important anymore.
      There are only a few reasons why I want flash on my iPhone:
      Live commentary of Cardiff City games - coming in an update to the Football League App
      Sites like zeropunctation
      And ITV player / 4OD / demandfive.

For pretty much everything else, you have HTML5 or the sites iPhone specific version (like iPlayer for example).

edit - how on earth did I get a neg rep for that??

(Original post by sophisticated)
        Yes, but they also said "if you go abroad yourself quite often" in which case it is wrong.

Granted it's free to bbm someone ELSE who is abroad when they're using bbm on a tarriff in another country and you're at home yourself. But it's not free to use bbm when say you travel from England to Spain and are using your blackberry on your UK contract with roaming enabled. No way. Its cheaper to call and text.
        Yeah, my bad :p: You're right.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)

Also, I imagine its the same with WhatsApp and Pingchat. You can use them abroad, but you have to have data enabled, which costs money in itself. I don't think that there is a free way of keeping in touch with people at home while you're abroad at the moment, not that I know of anyway. Except if you were using Wifi on your smartphone and using Skype or WhatsApp or something through that I suppose. Same with BBM. If you have access to Wifi, its free. Which is a bonus compared to texting and calling I suppose. But no Wifi = roaming data needed = cost.

ReputationRep:
        I have to say the only blackberry worth getting is the bold 9700, and that, with the 0S6 update. It's actually a pleasure to use. The design of the handset and ease of use/email/bbm function couldn't be better on any other phone, and it pretty much does what it says on the tin. The battery life is tremendous, and thats something you don't get with the latest apple/android phones.

If however you're looking for a phone with all the latest apps, and for the fun factor, get a HTC or an iphone. If thats something you don't go for, the bold 9700 is actually an outstanding phone, and I don't think i would want to switch to another phone as it solves all my conveniencies.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        I swore I wasn't going to get anything like that, but I must say I would rather like one. I'm rather attracted to the fact it has an actual keyboard, which would make writing messages on it simpler. The thing is, I can't see myself using half the features, like email and whatnot, so I don't know if it'd actually be worth it. Also, I don't know about the software - if they run Windows I'm not touching.

I need to get a new phone anyway, the one I've got is actually falling apart after being in my pocket for about five years.

What do you think?
        Well I have an 8520 and I like it. I bought the handset for £150, and I have a £10-a-month sim contract (300 mins, unlimited texts, unlimited bb web). The push e-mail thing is really good, but I found it annoying so I don't have that on, I just log in to hotmail whenever I feel like checking. For Facebook and general browsing its okay too, but not amazingly fast when you're using Google. I think its good phone for the price.

ReputationRep:
        Blackberry Torch is awesome :sexface: Especially when I'm getting it for £25 a month, phone was free and 2 year contract :ahee:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.