Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Virgin media are an awful ISP Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could get Virgin media. It can't be as bad as any ADSL service where I live. The maximum speed I can get is about 3Mb on any ISP. I have Be who might be good, but there's no way they can offer me reasonable speeds because they're dependent on BT's terrible line. I've just been on the phone to Virgin to figure out why the flat above me can get it but I can't.

ReputationRep:
    I bet the majority of people moaning are using WiFi connections at the other end of their house using a 802.11a wireless adapter.

I get extremely fast speeds with Virgin Media, even over a wireless adapter 802.11n. I have only ever noticed my internet speed drop significantly if I've been downloading things that are massive in size.

Other than that my browsing experience is top notch especially with Chrome, I get turbo speed browsing.

My download speeds are usually in the 2-5mb's range over wireless and I can watch SkyPlayer on the highest setting without a problem. If I set it at Auto it streams at 2.9mb's without any issues at all.

Those moaning about their connections probably have

a wireless connection
    portable phones on the same frequency 2.4ghz
    microwaves in the area of either the router or adapter
    extremely thick walls in their homes
    A loose or damaged coax connector which can disrupt speeds

If you have a wired connection and still get rubbish speeds then

you either are paying for a crap package
    your area is not yet setup for the speeds you want

You should check what you can get here

http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/

My results are

Download speed : 17.03Mbps
    Upload speed : 1.84Mbps

Lines in your area usually support speeds of up to 4Mb over a standard telephone line (ADSL Max). This is 77.1% slower than this test shows you are getting. Next generation broadband (ADSL2+) is available in your area. This allows lines closer to the telephone exchange to achieve faster connection speeds. Lines in your area usually support speeds of up to 5Mb. This is 71.3% slower than this test shows you are getting.

Virgin Media fibre-optic-based cable broadband is available in your area providing speeds of up to 50Mb. This is 186.7% faster than this test shows you are getting.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I would always keep my BT Phoneline and so I have the ability to pick and choose who I wish to go to for my Internet service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrettyBored)
    Exactly mate, it's shocking. They seem to be limiting bandwith on supposedly unlimited accounts, and caping transfer rates to obscene levels at peak times.
    Well it's only gonna get worse. Digital signatures are coming out on films/mp3s etc. now, which Virgin are gonna use to block any downloading of such files. And also torrenting will be limited to 0.01 kb/s through packet detection. They will be losing a lot of customers I predict!

ReputationRep:
    It boggles me how you see the exchange of money for satisfaction of service as mutually exclusive.If you own the business, imagine You're a customer, you'd care about yourself in this context (and invariably every other customer - it's YOUR money, YOUR service, YOUR (potential) job, YOUR family, YOUR business) Your perception of the is issue is quite quaint like every other fu**er.

I was projecting that on solely business/monetary terms, and In my experience and perspective on the overall situation - business no longer invest in their customers, relying on sheer market size and exposure to recouperate their short comings.

Is that acceptable as a customer?
    virgin dont give a **** about this one guys problem.

i wouldnt when all he seems to do is go on a forum and moan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    This is why I would always keep my BT Phoneline and so I have the ability to pick and choose who I wish to go to for my Internet service.
    But then what if BT is the weak link like in my case? I've got loads of ISPs to pick from, but they're all going to suck because it's going through BTs network.

ReputationRep:
    So... You're a new customer, as opposed to someone who'd been with them since long before their very existence as a company?

You're very good at proving my point, Virgin media has no interest but growth beyond it's means to provide the service it promises.
    We've been with them since they were Diamond Cable here, we've generally never had problems apart from the capping for downloading too much and the VERY occasional outage which usually only last about half an hour anyway
    Nottingham Service is obviously good ahaa

ReputationRep:
    They were fine for us last year. A bit of a pain to cancel, but fine otherwise.
    And at least they are upfront and honest with their traffic management. A lot of ISP's do it, but totally deny it.

ReputationRep:
    VM are a brilliant ISP and decided to place their own infrastructure in to place, instead of using BT's old network that was meant for telephones and not for broadband. They have installed FTTC at the very least, and it's coaxial cable from there. When we were using VM and paid for 10Mb broadband, we received 9.71Mb normally or a theoretical 1.21MB/s

They have great service, but their customer service is absolutely horrible. We are now with O2, as quite frankly we were happy on 2Mb broadband(before we were upgraded to 10 by VM). O2 give us an "up to 8Mb" service and we receive around 5-6Mb normally. Our line should be able to handle about 20Mb, from what I've online. They are cheaper, have good service and excellent customer service. The downside of VM is that their customer service is not exactly great, and they seem to be more expensive than other ISPS(though that could be because they are using an expensive fibre network)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.