Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who here does NOT care about politics and current affairs Watch

ReputationRep:
    I keep up to date with what is happening vis-a-vis elections, world news and other events. Though, I have absolutely no desire to engage in political discussion, debate or anything of the sort. I'd be sick if someone suggested it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    People always feel tha if someone does not share the same academic interests as them they are being ignorant or stupid.
    Nah, I don't expect people to share my interest in kids TV and David Dickinson, those are just 'interests'. Politics is more than an interest, if you just turn a blind eye to the way that you personally are being governed because you think that it's 'boring' to intellectually invest in the decisions which are going to greatly affect your life then you're a prat.

ReputationRep:
    Just because not all of it affects you, its still very foolish not to take any interest in politics, especially in a democracy. Governments must be held to account by the public. Apathy is a surefire path to losing rights and freedoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Nah, I don't expect people to share my interest in kids TV and David Dickinson, those are just 'interests'. Politics is more than an interest, if you just turn a blind eye to the way that you personally are being governed because you think that it's 'boring' to intellectually invest in the decisions which are going to greatly affect your life then you're a prat.
    Right.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I am not interested in politics. To be honest, I haven't really given the whole concept of learning about current affairs a chance. I'm eager that I'll eventually start paying an interest because it is a part of every day life, and is an importance that governs the way we live our daily lives.

I fimd it pretty daunting to start learning because there is so much history and I'd feel like a complete dumb*** in comparison to other's knowledge.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit lost as to what's happening with UK politics at the mo. I think that's coz I was really out of it around the time of the elections and couldn't get my head round it then and am too indifferent to catch up :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    I don't get how people can not care about politics. Yeah, it can be really boring. But to not care at all? it AFFECTS you!!
    You could say that about a lot of things though, like climate change. For me, it's one of those subjects that I try to learn about it but it just doesn't stay on my head because I deal better with creative topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    I don't get how people can not care about politics. Yeah, it can be really boring. But to not care at all? it AFFECTS you!!
    It might affect me, but I don't care about it because I have no control over it.
    Also, I don't have the charisma or interest to be an MP, so there's no point being interested imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    You could say that about a lot of things though, like climate change. For me, it's one of those subjects that I try to learn about it but it just doesn't stay on my head because I deal better with creative topics.
    climate change is something far off, which is why most don't care. Nobody can go anywhere in human society without rules or structure. that is what politics essentially is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    climate change is something far off, which is why most don't care. Nobody can go anywhere in human society without rules or structure. that is what politics essentially is.
    True but the point I was trying to make was that anyone can not be interested in things which affect them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.