Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this evening what she does in her free time... I wonder if she watches tv?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    Seems like she just gets a bunch of money for doing absolutley crap. I heard she gets paid £1m a year, id happily do her job for £5000 a year

Why is it that if your born into the Royal family, your automatically seen has something special for doing nothing.

Can someone pls explain to me why the Queen gets paid so much for what she does?

EDIT// Although she is the Queen, we should respect her.
    Actually, I am not sure whether I would do what she does even for £2m a year. I recommend you to watch a documentary named "Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work", if you are really interested.

Her schedule is incredibly busy, she has to represent the whole country restlessly and has not got much of a private life. I just hope that she is satisfied however difficult the work is because she seems to be a very nice person. God save the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I was wondering this evening what she does in her free time... I wonder if she watches tv?
    I think there was a story a couple of years ago that she got Doctor Who DVD's for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    She sends out birthday cards ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    I think there was a story a couple of years ago that she got Doctor Who DVD's for Christmas.
    Wow... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/D...orkingday.aspx

ReputationRep:
    She can do a lot (prerogative powers).
    But, in reality, she does very little.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in this thread are struggling to appreciate that whilst they might not know what the queen does, that doesn't mean she does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    She assents to bills.
    Appoints the Prime Minister
    She dissolves parliament
    Royal visits
    figurehead
    symbolic role
    Technically has the power to dismiss ministers/prime ministers

Despite people thinking she does 'nothing' and is 'useless' her popularity has been far more constant than most governments.

Also, technically she can refuse Royal Assent, so you could argue she is able to keep a check on Parliament - in case it passes some terrible tyrannous law.
    More evidence she shouldn't be in 'power', if you're claiming she is in a role of any significance she should be so due to merit.

Also as she actually does sweet FA it's pretty hard to fall out of public favour.

ReputationRep:
    Really she is not a necessity. She is useless. Popularity is her only savour and while more people like her than don't I don't see why shouldn't stay. Although, I fundamentally disagree with the monarchy.

ReputationRep:
    i think she eats chips.

ReputationRep:
    sucks ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    Seems like she just gets a bunch of money for doing absolutley crap. I heard she gets paid £1m a year, id happily do her job for £5000 a year
    She doesn't receive a penny in salary for her job.

And it's funny how it's only republicans and their fellow travelers who are ignorant of the role of the monarch in British constitutional theory. There have been plenty of books written about it: get off your arse and read them.

(Original post by wallace32)
    More evidence she shouldn't be in 'power', if you're claiming she is in a role of any significance she should be so due to merit.
    Fine, but that's not what you fenian *******s are proposing: you're proposing democratic election, which is anything but meritocratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    Good point. Do I get in your sig for that?

The excellent taste and discernment that led her to pick Philip out of the many eligible bachelors across the world is though.
    Not quite, sorry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.