Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student revolts, police brutality, Jody Mcintyre... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Brutality of police increasing? Haha! I have family in the police force and if anything they complain about NOT being able to do anything when it comes to enforcing the law because of all the regulations. Had this been a few years ago you'd all be water-cannoned, beaten and dragged into the back of a van...think yourselves lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamon)
    Brutality of police increasing? Haha! I have family in the police force and if anything they complain about NOT being able to do anything when it comes to enforcing the law because of all the regulations. Had this been a few years ago you'd all be water-cannoned, beaten and dragged into the back of a van...think yourselves lucky.
    It's a shame about all the regulations, soon as the riots started everyone thought they were above the law, calling "police brutality" as soon as the police fought back the lines, thinking they could cause violence and destruction with no repurcusions, I say give them the water cannons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesla1993)
    babble....

No I’m pretty sure....

babble
    I'm pretty sure you're a clueless kid with a one trick pony to ride on. All you post is the same crap in each post and quote some guy and a comedy youtube video. Back to school son. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    I'm pretty sure you're a clueless kid with a one trick pony to ride on. All you post is the same crap in each post and quote some guy and a comedy youtube video. Back to school son. Good luck.
    :mad:
    No I have many talents and am certainly not clueless. I’m pretty sure your some assh0le who spends too much time on TSR.

Crap?- That’s your opinion and you are entitled to it.

The main speakers in the videos are all more than qualified to speak on the subject matter at hand.

Where is the comedy you f*ckng clown?

Back to school? I will be continuing with 5AS levels (year 12) in January 2011.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesla1993)
    :mad:
    No I have many talents and am certainly not clueless. I’m pretty sure your some assh0le who spends too much time on TSR.

Crap?- That’s your opinion and you are entitled to it.

The main speakers in the videos are all more than qualified to speak on the subject matter at hand.

Where is the comedy you f*ckng clown?

Back to school? I will be continuing with 5AS levels (year 12) in January 2011.
    More than qualified? They are conspiracy theorists

Also....how old are you...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Undemocratic? Balls.

You only have to look at what happened at Millbank during the first protest when the police let the protesters protest without any intervention whatsoever, clearly it showed that they couldn't be trusted - I suppose it's the police's fault that it all kicked off then?

After that fiasco, it was obvious that the protesters were going to be kept under much stricter control, the police were clearly going to ensure that the same didn't happen again.

Even if the police hadn't been there, there were still plenty of people who turned up intent on criminal damage and rioting.

If you want someone to blame for getting everyone kettled, don't blame the police, blame the likes of Jody McIntyre and the rest who trashed Tory Party HQ in the first instance.
    the point about democracy and human rights is they are absolute principles- so regardless of whether the protesters were out of control or committed criminal acts that is not a justification for the state to arbitrarily curtail people's right not to be detained without charge.

I don't think anyone really denies that milbank showed the protests needed a bigger police presence and more effective regulation, but what makes you so convinced the solution is automatically kettling? quite aside from whether it is legitimate, democratic or mandated, it is very dubious in its effectiveness.

And it is ridiculous to say 'blame the people who provoked the police into kettling them'- it is the police's job and the state's job to protect its citizens from danger posed by citizens. and it is their responsibility to deal with situations and form appropriate tactics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowwdaisy)
    the point about democracy and human rights is they are absolute principles- so regardless of whether the protesters were out of control or committed criminal acts that is not a justification for the state to arbitrarily curtail people's right not to be detained without charge.
    No, but they do have a duty to protect other people's property. And the people who turned up to the first protest showed that they were incapable of behaving in a civilised manner. We know this, because if there had been no rioting during the first protest where there was no kettling, there would have been no police kettling in the second.

I don't think anyone really denies that milbank showed the protests needed a bigger police presence and more effective regulation, but what makes you so convinced the solution is automatically kettling? quite aside from whether it is legitimate, democratic or mandated, it is very dubious in its effectiveness.
    It was very effective. It demonstrated that where there was no kettling during the first protest, it left the protestors free to do as they liked, and instead of chosing to peacefully protest, they smashed Millbank. Then the police kept the troublemakers who turned up for the second protest from smashing up London.

And it is ridiculous to say 'blame the people who provoked the police into kettling them'- it is the police's job and the state's job to protect its citizens from danger posed by citizens. and it is their responsibility to deal with situations and form appropriate tactics.
    Yes - and they did a good job in my opinion. They protected the citizens and their property very effectively. Unfortunately the minority of vandals only interested in violence spoilt it for everyone - as is the same in many walks of life, as you see from smashed up amenities and graffiti all over the place nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    Nope. I applaud the police for protecting our democracy against violent thugs.

To claim that the student protests became violent because of the police is just completely incorrect.

The students have started the violence on every single occasion. The most obvious time was the first - when thousands of students rioted at Millbank where there were about 6 policemen not even in riot gear.

Jody Mcintyre is a violent thug.
    Spoiler:
    Show

To be fair, he isn't a peaceful protestor at all, he describes himself as 'on the rampage'. He can walk and boasts of attacking police - on his own blog he boasts of shoving his own way through lines of riot police and climbing the 9 storey staircase to the top of CCHQ.

The photographer who recorded the 'confrontation' last week describes how the police put themselves in harms way to be as gentle as possible with him - until he lept up, angrily argued with an officer and tried to assault one of them, having to be held back by another protestor. He describes himself as a 'revolutionary' and if you still think that he is just a peaceful harmless disabled person randomly attacked by the police, i invite you to read another boast from his criminally extremist blog:

"Eventually, around 30 of us managed to break our way through into the Treasury. Unfortunately, the rest never made it".

"Me and Finlay immediately set to work, tearing down the metal barriers."

"We continued down the sixty stone steps at the other end of the Treasury road without so much as a pause for breath. We were on the rampage."

Poor, poor him, how dare the police touch him. #outrage.

IMO he is a violent ****er, who sits in his wheelchair manufacturing outrage amongst people who are ignorant of who he is and his violent past.

He is exactly the sort of violent extremist idiot who hijacks and steals these events and headlines away from the thousands of peaceful protestors for his own side agenda. He is a extremist 'revolutionary' tee double-you eh tee
    Ridiculous. Were you present at any of these events? No, didn't think so. The media have been lying outright since the start of these protests. I was on the big march on the 10th November, the one with 52,000 people. We marched down past Millbank where around 10 people were trying to get through the revolving doors, a couple of people behind me with red flags for some sort of anarchist group went over to join them. We stood & listened to some speeches from Aaron Porter & others, watched a couple of videos and then dispersed. I checked my phone & had had several messages from worried/friends and family... Confused, I checked the news to find several stories talking about 'violent riots'. Turns out those few people had managed to get into Millbank, a few others followed and smashed the place up. Somehow 51,900 peaceful protestors has managed to turn into your 'thousands rioting'. You should be a journalist!

Obviously I'm not condoning the person who threw the fire extinguisher (they dropped it down into a crowd of protestors, how the hell can that be taken as representative?), or anyone else who causes criminal damage or hurts people. But it annoys me that the government's spin doctors distorted the truth surrounding the event. Same with the police, the woman (Julia Pendry I think?) who was issuing statements during the December 9th protest was talking utter cr*p. And during the kettles that day, police were telling people to move over there, where they could get out, & then they were told, once they were over there, that they couldn't get out- it was just a tactic to box them in even further, then those trapped at the edge of the kettle were battered for pushing forwards when they couldn't help it because of being pushed from behind.

Again- not condoning anyone who did cause violence (the media don't seem to know what this word means) at that protest, anyone who provoked the police, I think the police in general do a great job etc., but the media aren't highlighting the other side of the story; police officers who removed/covered up ID badges, hit people with batons left, right & centre, refused to let people leave to go to the toilet or get food, etc. It's not fair on the majority of people who were at the protests, who just wanted to stand up for what they believe in and fight on behalf of those who are too young to do so/to understand what's going on, to be painted as thugs/vandals/yobs when they've done nothing wrong.

As for Jody McIntyre, he may be an idiot but that doesn't excuse what the policeman did. And yes he can walk, so what?! Knocking anyone to the ground and then dragging them along is awful, doing it to someone in a wheelchair is disgusting (they didn't know what his disability/injury was & what consequences there might be for moving him even if they had seen him get out of his chair). In the video you can see the policeman being dragged away by colleagues, hardly professional, good policing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.