Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    So basically, Americans are doing GCSE level work while we're in 6th form? :lolwut:
    Yes, but then they also have the greatest number (and thee) best universities in the world to advance those very students :cool:

ReputationRep:
    There's also the issue of having to take almost every subject until you graduate, so obviously there's going to be less depth. For example, my career will have nothing to do with math, but most people take four years of it (I also would've had to take a year of math in college if I hadn't tested out of it) whether they like it or not. Same for English, history, science, languages, etc. There are pros and cons to both systems, but I sure was tired of (unnecessary) math by my second year of calculus! I would've loved the chance to specialize and focus on a few things I really enjoyed, but that just wasn't going to happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraziiFreak)
    Hii there

I was just wondering about American high school system, cause in UK, I'm currently in year 12(sixth form) but in USA it would be Junior year (Grade 11?)
    I wanted to ask about the subjects in grade 11/12. i heard you must take core(compulsory) subjects such as maths, Science, History.. etc and then choose electives?? but in uk you only take 3 to 4 subjects of your interest to study in Year 12 & 13(A levels).. Can somone please tell me little about the subjects and courses you have to take in Grade 11/12 in USA. and what sort of exams/qualification are there?

i've done my gcse's which won't be any use in America or will it?
    I'm asking this because my family has decided to move to America next year.. possibly after my Year 13 (a levels are done). I want to know what grade will i be put in or will i be able to go straight to University in America becuase i will have done my A levels here in UK??

THANKS to all in advance x

So basically if you're done with your A-levels you have to apply to American universities and as an international student.
    What you would need is to take the SAT I and SAT subject test as well but that is it !!
    You will then get credit at college because you would have taken "advanced classes"' ie A-level

If you move for year 13, you will be doing grade 12. So you will have around 8/12 subjects, i don't know how many exactly because i guess it depends on the school (i had 11).

College: when there's only undergraduate
    University : when there's both undergraduate and graduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    So basically, Americans are doing GCSE level work while we're in 6th form? :lolwut:

Well that certainly answers a few questions...
    No, you can take the normal level classes or the advanced level, which is called AP (advanced placement). You have to have around 26-28 credits to get a high school diploma. You can't really compare the two.

ReputationRep:
    Thankss a Lot everyone for the great responses
    btw would it be wise to take SATs this year, I'm still doing AS level (year 12) or when i'm in year 13??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraziiFreak)
    Thankss a Lot everyone for the great responses
    btw would it be wise to take SATs this year, I'm still doing AS level (year 12) or when i'm in year 13??
    Most people do it twice.
    And yes, better now!
    But you need to practice first, buy the practice book and they tell you what you've got to now + practice tests.
    I would recommend you either the Official College Board book or Barron's. (i prefer barron's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    Most people do it twice.
    And yes, better now!
    But you need to practice first, buy the practice book and they tell you what you've got to now + practice tests.
    I would recommend you either the Official College Board book or Barron's. (i prefer barron's)
    yes i heard its quite difficult and requires time and effort in practising before hand.
    Indeed i've already started looking at college board but thank you for the practice book recommendation! very helpful!
    Thanks hun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.