Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do black people have a natural gift for music and athletics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redkicker)
    well blacks are a minority in the western world, and they are over represented in music. they prob make up like 2% of the UK anyway.

as for music, well blacks dont just do rap.

some of the greatest music legends in the western world have been black, like michael jackson, smokey robinson, nine simone, beyonce, bobby brown, etc.

they didnt contribute just to rap, theres also jazz and soul music.
    Eh, did I say they only contribute to rap? I said they are over represented in rap, which is true, whereas white people are over represented in rock, which is also true. It's not like I said black people are under represented, I just said that I haven't noticed any massive over representation.

Plus you can't just say that well more than 2% of chart music is by black people and only 2% of the UK is black, when the majority of music in our charts is American, where black people represent a much bigger portion of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Eh, did I say they only contribute to rap? I said they are over represented in rap, which is true, whereas white people are over represented in rock, which is also true. It's not like I said black people are under represented, I just said that I haven't noticed any massive over representation.

Plus you can't just say that well more than 2% of chart music is by black people and only 2% of the UK is black, when the majority of music in our charts is American, where black people represent a much bigger portion of the population.
    we have british artists, and you look at them. or even talent competitions like x factor or pop idol, dont you think blacks are over represented? even when you look at the auditions most of the people you go 'woow' over are black.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16937962

If you're genuinely interested.
    There are also other studies out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    The Beatles started pop, and Elvis Presely started rock.

I'm not saying black people less musically gifted, but they are not more musically gifted either.
    Also i never said they were more musically gifted, i just listed genres of music which originated from black musicians I could list the same for white musicians: classical, pop (possibly), folk(european) music

ReputationRep:
    Why do we insist on trying to find meaningless and misunderstood/untrue differences between ethnicities? We have a lot more in common than what we don't have in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digg93)
    Don't trip- common misconception among A LOT of people. Elvis did NOT start Rock. Elvis brought Rock to White audiences- it used to be called ''race'' music- white people didn't want their kids listening to it, only when Elvis, a white guy made it popular everyone loved it- hypocritical, I'm not suprised LOL. The first people who started singing Rock n Roll were Black.

Rock was created by Black Musicians- Blues and White Musicians- Country music alike. Lewroll is right, most music can trace itself back to Blues and Soul- created by Black Musicians.
    Thanks you, no one ever said I was right on TSR before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Lol and some studies also said that black people are the least intelligent race (race in this context is a disputed word, but I'll use it here anyway).

Not all studies are reliable or are free of bias:dontknow:
    Yes, but I'd argue research involved in studying who is the most intelligent race is not really viable anyway, as intelligence is quite a subjective concept.

However, I quoted some research that studied how much oxygen Kenyans stored in their body - and as an indisputable scientific fact they do carry more oxygen, hence being more able runners.

As for your 'free of bias' comment, I could understand if I quoted some research sponsored by the BNP, but it was from the Copanhagen Institute of Sports Sciences. What racist motive are you suggesting exactly?

It's amazing how as soon as you pull out the facts, how quick some people are to shout racism. Almost pitiful, really.

ReputationRep:
    Athletic wise I would say not really, some races seem to dominate sports that other races don't, but I wouldn't say black people are naturally more athletic.

Music wise... Don't ask me, I know nothing about music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redkicker)
    we have british artists, and you look at them. or even talent competitions like x factor or pop idol, dont you think blacks are over represented? even when you look at the auditions most of the people you go 'woow' over are black.
    Can't say I've noticed, but there you go. Somebody's race doesn't usually cross my mind anyway, so maybe that's why ... but honestly, does it really matter? There are some good white musicians, there are some good black musicians, and there are some good asian musicians, let's not worry ourselves with who is marginally more capable musically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Yes, but I'd argue research involved in studying who is the most intelligent race is not really viable anyway, as intelligence is quite a subjective concept.

However, I quoted some research that studied how much oxygen Kenyans stored in their body - and as an indisputable scientific fact they do carry more oxygen, hence being more able runners.

As for your 'free of bias' comment, I could understand if I quoted some research sponsored by the BNP, but it was from the Copanhagen Institute of Sports Sciences. What racist motive are you suggesting exactly?

It's amazing how as soon as you pull out the facts, how quick some people are to shout racism. Almost pitiful, really.
    That is because most grew up in high altitudes, so they are more adapted for distance running that. White people would be just as good at running if they grew up in high altitudes too.

ReputationRep:
    i heard they do with big penises. is it true?

ReputationRep:
    Black people do have a disproportional number of athletes though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Lol what the **** are you on about. At what point did I say anything about being racist? You are the one that mentioned the word racism! Racism didn't even cross my mind. It's funny how quick people are to shout "stop using the race card"!. See I can jump to conclusions too.

ReputationRep:
    What is with all the racial threads? I'm black, can't sing and am terrible at sports.

I don't think it matters what your race is. Some people are more gifted in different areas than others.

ReputationRep:
    Lol what the **** are you on about. At what point did I say anything about being racist?
    5 minutes earlier...

Not all studies are reliable or are free of bias
    Obviously if a study involving ethnicity has some kind of bias, this is otherwise known as racism - a bias for or against a certain race.

ReputationRep:
    The only way we can prove anything would be to get a large amount of white, black and asian babies, raise them in exactly the same environment with exactly the same upbringing and opportunities and see how they progress. However this is probably unethical, so the only way we could do this would be to observe somewhere where this occurs naturally. So I'll just give Angelina and Brad a call shall I?

ReputationRep:
    5 minutes earlier...

Obviously if a study involving ethnicity has some kind of bias, this is otherwise known as racism - a bias for or against a certain race.
    I just meant in general, studies aren't always correct and do have bias or try to look for things that confirm their ideology. And I also never said the study you showed set out to do this. I mearly implied that it may not be 100% correct. I also never called you a racist or reffered to any sort of racism what so ever. You are jumping to conclusions. If i think someone is being racist I will outright say they are being racist. So seriously chill out and stop being weird.

ReputationRep:
    I just meant in general, studies aren't always correct and do have bias or try to look for things that confirm their ideology. And I also never said the study you showed set out to do this. I mearly implied that it may not be 100% correct. I also never called you a racist or reffered to any sort of racism what so ever. You are jumping to conclusions. If i think someone is being racist I will outright say they are being racist. So seriously chill out and stop being weird.
    Why were you talking about general studies, when I specifically highlighted one study in particular? Also, the nature of the research was absolute - either it is or it isn't a scientific fact, hence your comments about bias were pointless and irrelevant.

When did I ever suggest you were implying I was racist?

I think every point you have made in this thread is pretty invalid, which is why you're now *****ing about something totally off topic. Get some backbone m8.

ReputationRep:
    Why were you talking about general studies, when I specifically highlighted one study in particular? Also, the nature of the research was absolute - either it is or it isn't a scientific fact, hence your comments about bias were pointless and irrelevant.

When did I ever suggest you were implying I was racist?

I think every point you have made in this thread is pretty invalid, which is why you're now *****ing about something totally off topic. Get some backbone m8.
    You think I'm *****ing about about something off topic or are you just upset that I questioned what you were saying (in a respectable way might I add). And you got upset because I actually did make a valid point that not all studies are correct.

To be honest I still want to know why you menioned racism in the first place. Because your earlier explantion was quite frankly crass. You jumped to conclusions and I pointed that out, and now you can't be the bigger person and admit your mistake. Quite sad if you ask me.

Oh and don't worry I'll try a find some backbone somewhere 'm8'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    yes ........ and they also cannot swim.

course not

its just inherent in many black cultures to put alot of effort into music and naturally that is passed on through generations
    What's with the whole black guys can't swim. Every black guy I know can swim perfectly with no problem?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.