Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it racist to acknowledge difference? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyDoughnut)
    Black people ARE GENERALLY better at sport- it's genetics, they GENERALLY have more muscle twitch fibres and put muscle on faster.

Is that ok to say?

Now what if I put it in a negative light, they are also GENERALLY less intelligent than white counterparts in terms of IQ tests/career development etc (obviously there's a lot of socio-economic issues invovled there) but to say black people are better at sport implies white people are worse, so why is it so bad to say black people are less intelligent.

neg me all you want but you're just being ignorant and in your strong desire to appear non-racist, simply mask that inherently you probably are racist.

and fyi, no i'm not racist.
    ALL PEOPLE ARE THE SAME HERP LIBERAL CRAP DERP

You can not mention a difference because liberals are racist and think different = bad, even though there is a large difference between these people. :rolleyes:

(Original post by jvasos)
    its not racist to acknowledge difference, however how you acknowledge difference can be potentially racist.

For example i acknowledge that you're a fool for posting a pointless thread.
    Or you are an ignorant liberal who does not understand something called genetics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    ALL PEOPLE ARE THE SAME HERP LIBERAL CRAP DERP

You can not mention a difference because liberals are racist and think different = bad, even though there is a large difference between these people. :rolleyes:
    How is not mentioning a difference racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    How is not mentioning a difference racist?
    Not mentioning a difference is not racist...... I think you may have worded your question incorrectly though. :confused:

However pretending that there is no difference is a simple lie and is racist as it means that the person thinks that being different is a bad thing, and therefore that race is inferior.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...-swimmers.html

Black people ARE GENERALLY better at sport- it's genetics, they GENERALLY have more muscle twitch fibres and put muscle on faster.

Is that ok to say?

Now what if I put it in a negative light, they are also GENERALLY less intelligent than white counterparts in terms of IQ tests/career development etc (obviously there's a lot of socio-economic issues invovled there) but to say black people are better at sport implies white people are worse, so why is it so bad to say black people are less intelligent.

neg me all you want but you're just being ignorant and in your strong desire to appear non-racist, simply mask that inherently you probably are racist.

This is what I've been saying. True equality is treating people equally, not considering them to be the same. We are different. We evolved apart for thousands of years, of course we're going to be different!

ReputationRep:

Is that ok to say?

Your original statement, one of which is considered positive among the masses in favour of people of black skin colour, is still a stereotype. Stereotyping is a grey area amongst the debate on racism in my opinion. It's something largely untaught, it's undecided on it's offensiveness and people seem unaware of it in general.

There's a very fine line here.

What you have pointed out about intelligence, career development etc, arguably is opinion determined from studied resources and surveys. But at the same time, there are many highly successful black persons in our world. Skin colour is just a difference in pigment of DNA, it's trivial, it determines very little in terms of intellect.

However, you are on the thinnest boundary there is when it comes to this subject. You will be surprised at how many make comments such as you have and then use it as a stepping-stone or justification to actually make racist comments further down the line.

I hope you're not doing this yourself and are hopefully intend on keeping within the narrow boundaries here in a genuinely non-racist way.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Spexzzz)

Too bad swimming in a club doesnt attract girls.
      OI!

:mad:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by B-Man.)
      But you can't dance
      I'm black and I can't dance. :cry:
      It's the bane of my existence... whenever I go to a club I feel like a failure of the stereotype of my race. :sad:

But OP, I don't think it's racist to acknowledge differences, provided there is actual evidence for the claims you're making. For example, saying black people are generally less intelligent than white people is absolute BS because IQ tests aren't *really* a viable measure of intelligence anyway. Look up the chilting test. Even though it's completely outdated, it does illustrate that cultural bias can potentially skew IQ test results. If you're acknowledging a difference that can be proved, for example, the muscle mass thing you mentioned, I don't see a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is pseudo scientific 'proof'. I think there are some unintelligent black people, just as there are unintelligent white people and asian people. Are there *more* unintelligent black people than white people? I honestly don't think you can say. The only way you could truly say anything about differences between races is if you took one baby from each racial group and raised them in the exact same way with absolutely no differences. I read a book where that happened actually, it was very interesting but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. But yeah, unless you do that, you'll never be able to generalise... so... don't.
      /tangent

Edit: Oh, just realised someone else said the baby thing before me!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lewroll)
      I dont know if you are ignorant or trying to be funny, but I will still discuss your point. Lets pretend what you said was correct and you are an intelligent individual (remember i said pretend) The sample size would not be representitive, for my study to work we would need 100s of black white and asian children in order to account for individual differences.And they would all need to be brought up in the same environment. What you said didnt really add anything to the discussion, i could have said the white children would still be weak and chavvy, however that would be an ignorant thing to say, wouldnt it.

What white children?

ReputationRep:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.