Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamiFFXIII)
    Shut up, you idiot, just because you don't see them as good, oh and btw did you do the actually subjects yourself?! Damn people are full of preconceived crap here, honestly so judgemental.
    I agree.

To the OP : http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...uirements.aspx

Sociology and Psychology aren't mentioned on their list of least preferred subjects, so to the person who stated these A Levels were 'crap', go do some research before you make such a stupid accusation as that.

ReputationRep:
    LSE are academically rigorous, if you seriously want to apply there then I suggest you do something along the lines of Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. The same applies for other highly competitive, top universities. If your GCSE grades are mostly A/A*, then I recommend you take the more well respected subjects such as (but not restricted to) the ones I listed above, as long as you find them interesting.

My general advice is for you to seriously consider what subjects you have greatest interest in, and think what you want to do at university. If you want to study law at uni, why not take the A level?

Psychology and Sociology are not particularly bad A levels, but having them both could give you a slight handicap for the most competitive places. Why is it you want to study them, exactly? (Ask and answer that question to yourself not me!). Have a good look at the courses. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpot)
    ...unless you want to go to Cambridge to study psychology or sociology...
    That might be true if Cambridge OFFERED psychology or sociology. Even if it did it might not want the A level though. I know they don't particularly like Law A level for law applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    That might be true if Cambridge OFFERED psychology or sociology. Even if it did it might not want the A level though. I know they don't particularly like Law A level for law applicants.
    Oh bugger...I must be applying for a non-existent course then...

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...pps/index.html

S'called PPS-Politics, Psychology and Sociology, formerly SPS-Social and Political Sciences...
    True you don't need any specific A Levels to apply for PPS, but you'll have an exciting time at interview if don't know the subjects to A Level standard. And as a Cambridge student, I'm sure you know how scary the itnerviews can be even if you Do know the subjects!! So I reckon the A Levels help.

ReputationRep:
    Swap Psychology for Philosophy and Sociology for a language?

ReputationRep:
    they are actually quite a decent bunch of art/humanities subjects, It doesn't matter if its too easy as long as you do really good in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    You're completely wrong. In this context, the word is describing an adjective, and since "to" is a preposition, it is incorrect. "too" is correct.
    Oh I know, I know. I thought that she was talking about the question in the thread, not the title.

ReputationRep:
    Grammar Nazi pedantic **** you are!

Anyway to answer your question, no they are not. Besides who cares, so long as they're subjects that interest you.

No, I just think people should learn to write properly. Especially when they are considering doing an A level in English literature.

But hey, I've clearly missed a trick, I should have sworn at him instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpot)
    Oh bugger...I must be applying for a non-existent course then...

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...pps/index.html

S'called PPS-Politics, Psychology and Sociology, formerly SPS-Social and Political Sciences...
    True you don't need any specific A Levels to apply for PPS, but you'll have an exciting time at interview if don't know the subjects to A Level standard. And as a Cambridge student, I'm sure you know how scary the itnerviews can be even if you Do know the subjects!! So I reckon the A Levels help.
    I guess I got told

I never knew what PPS stood for, I just knew it was something humanities/social sciencey. Never mind

ReputationRep:
    Shut up, you idiot, just because you don't see them as good, oh and btw did you do the actually subjects yourself?! Damn people are full of preconceived crap here, honestly so judgemental.
    It is not me that matters - it is admissions tutors and employers. Why don't you set up a campaign and make them realise how amazing these subjects are. I have done psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    It is not me that matters - it is admissions tutors and employers. Why don't you set up a campaign and make them realise how amazing these subjects are. I have done psychology.
    What nonsensical comments you spew, people get offered university places with subjects such as business studies, i do the aforementioned subject along with politics and philosophy and managed to get offer from universities, and those who did not give me offers based those rejections on predicted grades rather than 'easy' A-levels. I didn't know you were an admissions tutor though, i must believe your crap, you generalising dimwit.

i am sorry but what is wrong with business studies? i don't know what exam board you are doing. but i am doing cambridge and it's not easy.

to the OP: i don't know what exam board you are on. because the level of difficulty really changes from exam board to exam board. but maybe you should replace either sociology or psychology for a language.

ReputationRep:
      Sociology is ****!

ReputationRep:
      What nonsensical comments you spew, people get offered university places with subjects such as business studies, i do the aforementioned subject along with politics and philosophy and managed to get offer from universities, and those who did not give me offers based those rejections on predicted grades rather than 'easy' A-levels. I didn't know you were an admissions tutor though, i must believe your crap, you generalising dimwit.
      Well I guess I will have to apply for a sociology degree then. How can I fail with this supreme subject under my belt? I will probably be prime minister in several years thanks to you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Samc12)
      Oh yeah sorry, I was supposed to mention I want to do an LLB at the London school of economics and political sciences. Please can you help me more now. Also apologies to the grammar police.
      Don't do Sociology and Psychology. Do one of them if you have to, but I reckon you'd be much better off doing something like History. LSE say "at least two traditional academic subjects are preferred" for Law, meaning that with your current combination of subjects you'd be fulfilling the minimum, putting yourself at a bit of a disadvantage. Someone above said History, English, Maths and History would be a good combo; I'm doing all of them at A2, and it seems to have served me well.

Oh, and LazyWorseThanInfidel is on the money, Sociology and Psychology aren't as well respected as many other subjects.

ReputationRep:
      I am taking, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and ECONOMICS.

I am finding Economics the hardest currently. Maybe because it's the only subject I havn't revised for (exam in june); but my mind as of right now does process Economics well. Why did everyone tell me it was a doss subject? Bull****.

ReputationRep:
      No A level is going to be categorically 'easy' - it all depends on your strengths. If those are your strongest subjects and you are looking at a career in that field, their level of difficulty is negligible. If you don't know where you're going in life, do what you like.

ReputationRep:
      I was thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I'm assuming maths is a "traditional" subject, are any of the others? I'm aiming for LSE, I want to do economics there and am aware of its intense competition. Could I get in with my subjects or are they to "dossy"?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.