Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Republic of Ireland shoud re-join the Union Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    *cough* European Union *cough*

Oh yeah, that's exactly the same. The bailout is composed of funds from the EU, the IMF, and the UK. Where exactly would Ireland be without it? Do you think it's worth literally becoming Germany post WW2 just so we don't have to 'lower' ourselves to accept a bailout? The UK is also a member of the EU and Ireland has benefitted massively from being in the EU, not just now, but in the past.

Anyway, this is never going to happen and it's sheer arrogance to suggest it. Oh no, the precious Union broke up. 90 years ago! If we can accept a divided Ireland then the UK should get over the 'loss' of Ireland. From the other perspective...really, you want to absorb this debt..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Oh yeah, that's exactly the same. The bailout is composed of funds from the EU, the IMF, and the UK. Where exactly would Ireland be without it? Do you think it's worth literally becoming Germany post WW2 just so we don't have to 'lower' ourselves to accept a bailout? The UK is also a member of the EU and Ireland has benefitted massively from being in the EU, not just now, but in the past.

Anyway, this is never going to happen and it's sheer arrogance to suggest it. Oh no, the precious Union broke up. 90 years ago! If we can accept a divided Ireland then the UK should get over the 'loss' of Ireland. From the other perspective...really, you want to absorb this debt..?
    What the hell are you taking about? Someone mentioned Ireland fighting long and hard for it's political independence and they wouldn't sign it away - well they did by being members of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    Who agrees that Ireland should become part of the kingdon again?

Who also agree that we should have forced them to do it and withholded bailout money (obv the EU prevent us from doing this in reality so hypotheticallY)?

Is it likely that Irlenad coming back would be good for Btitain economically and politically?
    It should never have been part of it. The six counties should be given back to Ireland. Do you want India back also?

ReputationRep:
    If they came back to Britain we would get their debt. Plus we have no reason to force anyone to join us if they don't want to nor do we really have the military to do so. We are already in too many wars as it is.

ReputationRep:

^ That's not exactly true is it... The secession was hardly peaceful.

Ireland was no loss to the Union either, it was a burden from the time of the Corn Laws onwards. Admittedly not Ireland's fault, but still a drain on union resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    What the hell are you taking about? Someone mentioned Ireland fighting long and hard for it's political independence and they wouldn't sign it away - well they did by being members of the EU.

It is still independent, that's what I mean. The UK is also in the EU! It's not the same thing, independence and membership of the EU/bailout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clens)
    ^ That's not exactly true is it... The secession was hardly peaceful.

Ireland was no loss to the Union either, it was a burden from the time of the Corn Laws onwards. Admittedly not Ireland's fault, but still a drain on union resources.

No it wasn't, but what I mean is that although the North has had major problems obviously and there is a united ireland movement...the majority of the people have long since accepted that this is the way it is, the north and the republic. Most people here are absolutely indifferent of it. So I don't see why the UK doesn't do the same- it's even less of a deal there- the loss of Ireland.

Oh yeah, and even before the Union, Tudor era especially.

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly? I don't see how Britain will benefit from regaining a country that's barely functioning right now (and I say that as an Irish person) and I don't think anyone fancies Troubles Mark II, because the last time was so much fun...

ReputationRep:

Who also agree that we should have forced them to do it and withholded bailout money (obv the EU prevent us from doing this in reality so hypotheticallY)?

Is it likely that Irlenad coming back would be good for Btitain economically and politically?
    You can't spell withheld, your argument is invalid.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Ireland will probably become part of the 'kingdon' again speaking klingon (which is about as stupid as the initial question). Irlenad, not a chance, no way. How could you even suggest it?

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, oh dear, I just had a nice little nervous laugh to myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandyMann)
    It should never have been part of it. The six counties should be given back to Ireland. Do you want India back also?
    India was never part of the UK.

It is still independent, that's what I mean. The UK is also in the EU! It's not the same thing, independence and membership of the EU/bailout.
    I'd question whether you can call EU member-states 'independent'. A united parliament, legislative primacy, directly effective legislation etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    India was never part of the UK.

I'd question whether you can call EU member-states 'independent'. A united parliament, legislative primacy, directly effective legislation etc.
    It was part of the Empire.

ReputationRep:
    It was part of the Empire.
    Whereas Ireland was part of the 'mother country'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Whereas Ireland was part of the 'mother country'.
    The Australians once referred to Britain as the mother country.

ReputationRep:
    The Australians once referred to Britain as the mother country.
    The UK was the mother country. The other parts were colonies. Our imperial adventures were quite a different thing from our home affairs. Ireland was part of this country, without any colonial relationship, the non-UK empire was not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The UK was the mother country. The other parts were colonies. Our imperial adventures were quite a different thing from our home affairs. Ireland was part of this country, without any colonial relationship, the non-UK empire was not.
    No unlike Australia Ireland has its own language.

ReputationRep:
    No unlike Australia Ireland has its own language.
    I think the Aboriginal peoples of Australia may dispute having a unique language group. All the same, this is utterly irrelevant to anything.

(Original post by sputniksweetheart)
    this is a really good idea. IRA bombs in London added to constant threat of "Muslim extremists" would make the commute to uni that bit more exciting.

YOU ARE A BLINDING F**KING IDIOT!!
    Putting the merits of this particular suggestion aside for a moment, I think it'd be true idiocy to dictate political policy out of fear that a few nutter extremists may blow themselves up in opposition to it.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland was under British occupation

ReputationRep:
    Ireland was under British occupation
    In a strict sense, everywhere is 'occupied' by a sovereign power. I assume, however, you are inferring military occupation - which clearly did not happen in Ireland during the 1801-1922 period, and indeed presupposes a state of hostility between two powers which did not - and as a result of the shared monarchy, could not - exist then. It was governed by civil laws as an integral part of the British state.

I'd suggest you think twice before posting wildly inaccurate remarks here. People will call you on them.

(Original post by sputniksweetheart)
    but ireland are the only country who vote for england in the eurovision...if for no other reason think of the points
    I think you mean the United Kingdom.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.