Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what age would you let your children have a mobile phone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on the circumstances.

I started going to school myself and getting the bus to my grandmothers house myself when I was about 9/10. I got my first mobile phone the Christmas after my 9th birthday. I think my mother got me it so she'd be sure of having a way of contacting me if the bus broke down or something.

Purely for my child's safety, I'd teach them the importance of always having a mobile with them as soon as they're old enough to use one and are reaching the age where they'll be wanting to go to school themselves.

Regardless of what schools say about banning mobile phones, safety > stupid school rules

ReputationRep:
    I got my first mobile phone when I was 13. That was the age I was really against mobile phones, but I got used to it eventually. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    I'd be extremely worried if my 11 year old child was making a half hour walk to school and a half hour walk back from school by themselves everyday and didn't have a mobile phone with them. Giving one to them at 12 just takes away a whole year of protection.
    To be fair, i dont really see ho having a phone or not makes then safer walking home?

In a car you can break down and need to call for help, etc. Walking doesnt really break in a way the a phone can help with can it. If they get abducted there not going to have chance to use a phone, if they done know there way home and get lost, god help them being able to use a phone, if the break a leg on the walk home they could call for help, but im going put my neck on the line here and say that fairly unlikely!

I like my phone, its very useful, and i have designed my life so that without it i would stuggle somewhat. However, really, im not even sure that a good idea. Ive revised my thoughts. I think a year into highschool is a good time to have a phone. Later than most, but not the last would be ideal i think.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Dedicated to those calling me a rah.
    Loving the video, you big fat Rahhhh... (JK!!) Cracking job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhutch)
    Loving the video, you big fat Rahhhh... (JK!!) Cracking job.
    Haha, why thankyou! I did have another one as well (MC Tarquinius) but for some reason, it vanished when TSR updated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhutch)
    To be fair, i dont really see ho having a phone or not makes then safer walking home?

In a car you can break down and need to call for help, etc. Walking doesnt really break in a way the a phone can help with can it. If they get abducted there not going to have chance to use a phone, if they done know there way home and get lost, god help them being able to use a phone, if the break a leg on the walk home they could call for help, but im going put my neck on the line here and say that fairly unlikely!

I like my phone, its very useful, and i have designed my life so that without it i would stuggle somewhat. However, really, im not even sure that a good idea. Ive revised my thoughts. I think a year into highschool is a good time to have a phone. Later than most, but not the last would be ideal i think.

Daniel
    Normally parents take their children to and from primary school. What parent isn't going to be worried about their child's safety after 7 years of taking them to school and letting them go by themselves to secondary school at 11 years old?

So what if breaking your leg on the way home is very unlikely? It can still happen, and any sane parent would rather spend £9.99 on a mobile phone for their child instead of them having to try to walk home on a broken leg or worse.

When I was 11 my friend and I were walking home by ourselves and she got hit by hit and run driver. Luckily I had a mobile phone so I could call an ambulance. She would have died if I didn't have a phone with me. Obviously the chances of this happening are very rare, but then so is any accident that occurs when an adult carries a mobile phone; it makes everyone safer and lowers everyone's chances of dying in an accident like this.

ReputationRep:
    11ish ie when i got my 1st one, or if I can somehow afford private school by then 8/9 as they will likely be a great distance from home during the day so ill need to be able to let them know if im going to be late picking them up etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    Normally parents take their children to and from primary school. What parent isn't going to be worried about their child's safety after 7 years of taking them to school and letting them go by themselves to secondary school at 11 years old?

So what if breaking your leg on the way home is very unlikely? It can still happen, and any sane parent would rather spend £9.99 on a mobile phone for their child instead of them having to try to walk home on a broken leg or worse.

When I was 11 my friend and I were walking home by ourselves and she got hit by hit and run driver. Luckily I had a mobile phone so I could call an ambulance. She would have died if I didn't have a phone with me. Obviously the chances of this happening are very rare, but then so is any accident that occurs when an adult carries a mobile phone; it makes everyone safer and lowers everyone's chances of dying in an accident like this.
    Im not saying it could help ever, or that i wouldnt save £9.99 for the sake of risking my child's life, what im saying is untill they where ready i wouldnt want to burden my child with the responsibility of owning and carrying a phone with them.

It was clearly not a nice thing that happen, and i wasnt there, and i dont know the full story, but even in your freinds case i would suggest its probably fairly likely there would have been someone near enough whos phone you could hav borrowed or shared the use off.

Im going to see how it goes, im atleast 12 years from having a 11 year old, times are changing fast, but thats my thoughts as they stand currently

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    My daughter got her 1st phone for her 9th birthday, only a bog standard one, but its handy for her to tell us when her school clubs have finished early, etc....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.