Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all your dubstep haters Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatthedirac)
    If you've got good speakers/ headphones this will sound amazing. Otherwise don't bother, you won't get the spacey sound you need.

Urg that's a horrible version...there's lots of better dubstep versions out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I'm 23. And don't "brah" me. Or I'll tell you a story about "brahs" and your Mum.
    Hurr hurr. Go on, brah, tell me the story. I could do with a good chuckle. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Hurr hurr. Go on, brah, tell me the story. I could do with a good chuckle. :teehee:

I don't want to, I cba wasting my time on idiotic 17 year olds who need to grow up.

Now back on topic:

I haven't heard better versions of "Archangel" Unless you mean Mt Eden to which I'll laugh in your face..

(Original post by Gunnerzz)
      Mount Eden Dubstep. I love. In-between that very chilled and nice bass line. Pisses me off when amateurs stick a 'filthy wobble' and a kick over a perfectly good song and ruin it.
      Chase & Status <3
      Magnetic Man <3
      All great artists.
      You do realise that Mt Eden, Magnetic Man & Chase & Status are mostly what 'amateurs' listen to?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by whatthedirac)
      It's kind of the point, he was going for this huge empty space kinda sound, filled with muffled tones and modulated voices. He was trying to recreate the sound of London at like 4am at night. When he made his first album, he told his mates to drive around the city and night and listen to it in their car. That's the perfect atmosphere to listen to Burial, I guarantee if you invest your time in checking him out, eventually it'll 'click' and you'll love him forever more.

This is one of my favourite tunes of all time.

Is it just me that thinks thats 9 minutes of a boring repetitive beat with random noises added here and there?

ReputationRep:
      I don't want to, I cba wasting my time on idiotic 17 year olds who need to grow up.

Now back on topic:

I haven't heard better versions of "Archangel" Unless you mean Mt Eden to which I'll laugh in your face..
      Mature enough to dismiss me as a kid, not matur enough to stop using 'your mum' jokes. :lol:

ReputationRep:
      Yawn. Someone put on some Skrillex plz&thx. :rolleyes:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      :rolleyes:

Chase and Status=amazing, back before they collaborated with all the big names and got very mainstream, look a their old dnb like Hurt You and Take Me Away. Then Saxon and Eastern Jam, bona fide classics. But then they just got ****.

Magnetic Man, again, far too mainstream for me to ever like them. The three artists as individuals (Benga, Skream and the little known Artwork) are most probably good producers. I know Skream is because I love his stuff, but his underground stuff.

Now as an aspiring producer, and a listener too, I want to obviously get as successful as possible myself but stay true to the underground roots (I started off listening to Caspa and Rusko then progressed outward) but we don't hate Chase and Status because they're successful, just that they sold out the genre and served to make it mainstream. Now this point is to emphasise I don't have anything against mainstream music, I listen to the Kings of Leon like the next person, but it's just contravening the unwritten rule of underground music that you don't make as many ps as possible in the name of getting as known as possible. Chase and Status still had a big hardcore following but they weren't satisfied with that.

Any self respecting reggae fan will lilke the older stuff, Skream's early stuff, Digital Mystikz (Haunted especially) but the thread is about the chilled stuff.

Now anything with a vocal I'll give a chance. I've made mediocre remixes of old trance tracks and they were pretty bad. I just literally threw a wobble over a beat and an acapella. But I love remixing, some remixes. I'm a closet Jakwob fan
      But it depends how tasteful the remix is/how well produced the track is.
      Mainstream yes, bad no. Cant say you dislike an artist because theyve made the genre mainstream. Tbf my itunes library is so random. I dont have favourites. If i like something i like it. I listen to Skream, Benga, Joker, Caspa, Rusko and the likes. Pendulum, Prodigy Deadmau5. Ill give anything a chance.

But hey. Music is music. Cant we just listen to it because we like it? If we dont then well i guess we dont have to...

Makes me laugh all the haters on youtube. Get a life. Appreciate music for what it is.

ReputationRep:

Brap

ReputationRep:
      Mature enough to dismiss me as a kid, not matur enough to stop using 'your mum' jokes. :lol:
      If I knew anything about you I'd rip you for that. I'm assuming from what I've seen of you you're a bit of an imbecile though, so I kind have to humour you with "your mum" jokes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gunnerzz)
      Mainstream yes, bad no. Cant say you dislike an artist because theyve made the genre mainstream. Tbf my itunes library is so random. I dont have favourites. If i like something i like it. I listen to Skream, Benga, Joker, Caspa, Rusko and the likes. Pendulum, Prodigy Deadmau5. Ill give anything a chance.

But hey. Music is music. Cant we just listen to it because we like it? If we dont then well i guess we dont have to...

Makes me laugh all the haters on youtube. Get a life. Appreciate music for what it is.
      I would listen to "mainstream" music if it were good, but it's not. It's not lsitenable, it's cheesy and mostly badly produced, churned out for the masses, rubbish.

With some exceptions in the artists you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DaveSmith99)
      Is it just me that thinks thats 9 minutes of a boring repetitive beat with random noises added here and there?
      Open your mind to new stuff and you will like it i assure you. Burial is one of the most critically acclaimed and talented acts to come in the last decade, but a lot of people (I find it is often rock music fan elitists) who just want the same generic ear friendly structure they are used to of just a guitar, bass guitar drums and vocalist. (Don't get me wrong i am a fan of a lot of this stuff such as the Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, The Doors, Deep Purple etc but honestly only listening to stuff like that and i've come across many people like that makes you have a very narrow perspective on music). Forgive me if i'm wrong about you or a few other people in this thread but i find this too often about people who complain about modern music. It's elitists who live in the past usually. Rock reached its peak long ago, electronic music is still evolving hugely, mainly i guess because of the infinite options it offers with the amount of sounds you can produce.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      I would listen to "mainstream" music if it were good, but it's not. It's not lsitenable, it's cheesy and mostly badly produced, churned out for the masses, rubbish.

With some exceptions in the artists you mentioned.
      Exactly. With some exceptions. Cant blame them for wanting more.

Just because its not to your/our tastes doesnt make it ****.

ReputationRep:
      If I knew anything about you I'd rip you for that. I'm assuming from what I've seen of you you're a bit of an imbecile though, so I kind have to humour you with "your mum" jokes.
      K, brah.

ReputationRep:
      Aren't you like 30, brah? Don't you think you should act your age instead of trying to impress kids on the internet?
      You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gob Bluth)
      Open your mind to new stuff and you will like it i assure you. Burial is one of the most critically acclaimed and talented acts to come in the last decade, but a lot of people (I find it is often rock music fan elitists) who just want the same generic ear friendly structure they are used to of just a guitar, bass guitar drums and vocalist. (Don't get me wrong i am a fan of a lot of this stuff such as the Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, The Doors, Deep Purple etc but honestly only listening to stuff like that and i've come across many people like that makes you have a very narrow perspective on music). Forgive me if i'm wrong about you or a few other people in this thread but i find this too often about people who complain about modern music. It's elitists who live in the past usually. Rock reached its peak long ago, electronic music is still evolving hugely, mainly i guess because of the infinite options it offers with the amount of sounds you can produce.
      I remember you a while back from another thread and found you to be a music elitist.

Classic rock did reach its peak in the 70's, but there are many sub genres around now a days that are fantastic and still evolving. I'm listening to a lot of hardcore and mathcore at the moment, which is definitely not easy on the ears. Its hugely innovative and technically difficult to play, and the bands give the most intense live shows around. Theres also more mainstream bands who are still fantastic, Biffy Clyro are one of the most talented and innovative bands for a long time and you wont find any other band who sounds the same. Rock music is far from dead.

I also listen to many other genres, not just rock. Folk, blues, reggae, ska, rap (most of it is gash but there are a few brilliant artists), hip hop (although i think this also reached its peak a long time ago, and a little electronic music. Daft punk are fantastic, but most electronic music I have found is just awful.

ReputationRep:
      Well me and a few others a few ***** decided to pick out, yeah why? Don't talk like I'm some anti celebrity or something. And also, you're better of lurking on the fringes of TSR rather than getting involved with subbing and things cos there's some nasty people on here who need to stop trolling the internet and get lives.. Don't worry though that's getting dealt with.
      "there's some nasty people on here"

I could probably make it through a day without crying for my mummy from what some fat potato couch vampire thinks.

You have serious self esteem issues man. It was a question. You are in no way a Celebrity or something important to me - just another faceless name on a thread I happened to comment in today.

ReputationRep:
      Why has this become a ****-swinging contest on who listens to the widest range of music? Shut yr damn mouths and listen

ReputationRep:
      This is lame, it's so elitist, just listen to the music you like and stop trying to have a 'mine's bigger than yours' contest about the variety and credibility of your music tastes.

Anyone who claims that they don't like 'mainstream' music because it's rubbish is being just as close-minded as the people who never listen to anything outside the top 40.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DaveSmith99)
      I remember you a while back from another thread and found you to be a music elitist.

Classic rock did reach its peak in the 70's, but there are many sub genres around now a days that are fantastic and still evolving. I'm listening to a lot of hardcore and mathcore at the moment, which is definitely not easy on the ears. Its hugely innovative and technically difficult to play, and the bands give the most intense live shows around. Theres also more mainstream bands who are still fantastic, Biffy Clyro are one of the most talented and innovative bands for a long time and you wont find any other band who sounds the same. Rock music is far from dead.

I also listen to many other genres, not just rock. Folk, blues, reggae, ska, rap (most of it is gash but there are a few brilliant artists), hip hop (although i think this also reached its peak a long time ago, and a little electronic music. Daft punk are fantastic, but most electronic music I have found is just awful.
      I am a music elitist? And i presume you are that troll/idiot who is as close minded as they get with music. First time i've ever been called that. Daft Punk to me are electronic pop perfection. Easy for everyone to like and Discovery is easily one of the best albums ever. I presume you are joking about Biffy? Biffy Clyro were apparently good once but i have only heard their new stuff which is laden with big choruses and same old generic pop rock music today. If you think that is the definition of good music today god help you lol. Rock isn't dead, never said it was. I said instrumental quality was achieved to its maximum standard in the 60s/70s. You won't beat the likes of Dylan, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Bonham's drumming, Clapton's guitar skills. So trying to beat them at their own game is an impossible task. Indie music is the only thing going on now and there isn't a fat lot going on there. Last decade started strong with the likes of The Strokes but i can hardly name many decent new bands from the past 5 years.

I will name some bands/artists which i have never really heard any criticism about and are very highly acclaimed:

Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff, Leftfield, Orbital, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Moderat, James Blake, Orb, Moby, The KLF, Massive Attack, Aim, Stone Roses (more rock but still they are brilliant), DJ Yoda, Future Sound of London, Plaid, Portishead, Air, Zero 7, DJ Shadow, Burial, Autechre, Propellorheads, Venetian Snares, Underworld ....

I mean, i could go on for days. All those artists have produced at least one highly acclaimed album, most have produced thoroughly fantastic albums throughout their careers. And you know the artists are so diverse, and fantastic it is just a shame that people might actually dismiss electronic music and never ever listen to such artists as i listed. I am actually confident anyone who listens to most of those artists above and gives them enough time will be a converted fan to so called electronic music.

You don't have to listen to those, and can just ignore me, but if you or anyone else are comfortable with finding new music and not sticking to the same old i'm sure you would give some of these a go.

Ftr I'm only trying to help those elitists who are sticking to the same old narrow band of music and have the cheek to call stuff like this crap when they clearly have no clue about the genre and such like.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.