Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pretty children don't tend to grow into pretty adults. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it works the other way as well! There's still hope.....xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    I think you're wrong.

Children can't judge looks. If you think of who you found attractive on TV, for example - you may realise that as an older individual your taste has dramatically improved. This is all that has happened with the "pretty children". You may also have mistaken "popular" for "pretty" when you were a kid, and perhaps you are less likely to do that now.

You could look back on school photos and test my theory.

Obviously sometimes a genuinely pretty child will become much less attractive with age, but generally an adult can look at a pretty kid and think "they'll be pretty when they're sixteen" and that's true. Think of scarlett johansson, hayden panettiere, elija wood. They were all adorable creepy little child actors, and they continue to be "adorable" today.

There weren't kids at your school that opined on others' looks, even though in a cuter, more innocent way?

BTW, Scarlett Johansson has gone significantly downhill, (she peaked in the early noughties), and Hayden whatshername has never been any more than bang on average.

ReputationRep:
    I was an ugly baby, then cute until I was about 6 or 7 then I was ugly again lol, I'm 19 now and I think I just look average!

ReputationRep:
    On of the reasons why people are attartive is something called sexual dimorpism, how masculine (big square jaw, strong brows, big nose, high forhead) and femanin (big eyes, plump lips ,small chin) your face is. The process of making the face masculine or femanin occcours during puberty (although sometimes in the woomb as well), and so many of the children who arent conisdered attrtive grow into attrative adults, and others don't. But by and large most preety kids do grow into attrative adults certain aspects such as symmerty are constany on a face from childhodd to adulthood and so most remain preety. Also, if you want to see if a child will grow into a preety adult take a look at the ssame sex parent facial masculinty/femanity, belive or not children exbit a very similar degree of facial masculinty/femanity to the same sex parent.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I've noticed. I think I was cute as a child and I'm fairly attractive now. I was quite ugly as a teenager though. I think it's mainly because I was very awkward and clueless about fashion.

ReputationRep:
    That may be true a lot of the times, but not always.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree tbh, but it doesn't always happen.

I've also noticed that ugly children become pretty adults quite often, from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think this! Glad i'm not the only one haha

ReputationRep:
    True. Just look at Macaulay Culkin and Mara Wilson.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, I was a pretty child once...

ReputationRep:
    They just appear uglier because you remember them looking like little angels.

ReputationRep:
    I think pedobear messes up their looks when he has his way with them.

I jest. I have noticed this though, it's one of the reasons why child actors usually fade into obscurity. Some examples:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was an ugly child.. does that mean I'll grow into a pretty adult?? *Fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    I fine it really strange that i look completely different now, but 99% of the people i used to go to primary school with just look like taller and sluttier versions of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I still look pretty much the same as I did as a kid, for better or worse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.