Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chruchill)
    Yes and you are very welcome to your opinion, based on subjective criteria as are mine. I think you some how missed the point I was making and the word you are looking for is 'contradiction' not 'oxymoron'. Enjoy going to your far superior university.
    No, I meant oxymoron - it is a phrase which contains apparently contradictory terms in conjunction to one another. Which is indeed what you did - saying that I should provide objective data, then moronically giving such subjective bias as a "general consensus". Enjoy going to a far less superior university

(Original post by Chruchill)
    Oh and by 'general consensus' it's pretty obvious that means amongst my tutors, the ones who have actually taught or studied at both and have far more experience than either of us.
    Yes I know - you have a habit of missing the point don't you? Just as you formed a general consensus from the "tutors you've spoken to", I also spoke with tutors who have taught at both schools when trying to decide if I could move to the US for university or not, and the general consensus in this case tended to be that HYP > Oxbridge for undergraduate too.

Thus either both of the general consensuses we observed are equally valid, in which case your initial claim of Oxbridge >HYP for undergraduate teaching if utterly ridiculous, or both of our perceived and subjective general consensuses are wrong, in which case again your initial claim of Oxbridge >HYP for undergraduate teaching if utterly ridiculous.

Feel free to choose whichever one you wish :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    the difference between oxford and cambridge and other uni's is so marginal, it is not only shallow, tactless, and downright a violation of morality to even engage in this debate, it is very arrogant wishful thinking as well.

You come out with the same degree, and will get to the same point in life.

Lord Sugar didn't even go to uni.

if your applying for the name and the ability to boast to your friends and boast to other people, then it is a great place to boast.

ReputationRep:
    It is time for mods to close this thread now - manchild007 engaged this thread with the obvious intention of starting an argument not really connected to the original topic (which concerned why Oxbridge is good, not how good it is compared to Ivy). First attempt failed, he tried again and here we are with destructive and repetitive posts...

(Original post by manchild007)
      Its not really time I think - take the top American universities, they were formed much later than Oxford and Cambridge, yet they are head and shoulders above/better than Oxbridge.
      World 'university rankings' suggest they are not 'head and shoulders above'.

(Original post by manchild007)
        As for students applying to Oxbridge can get into HYP - I highly doubt that. I'm not saying no student admitted to Oxbridge could not get into HYP, as thats just false, some could. But the US admissions process is different (for the better in my view), whereby you have to consider the EC's of an individual. At Oxbridge therefore, as long as you have the grades and perform well at interview (something which can be couched quite easily), you're set. Whereas at the likes of HYP, in addition to having the grades, you need to excel in your EC's - some do this by having published scientific work or journals, others are olympic level athletes in their fields, others world champions in their respective academic fields. My point being this, I think it is foolish to say those who get into Oxbridge could get into HYP when the system is so different; HYP requires a lot more from students in addition to just grades (because otherwise, they could fill classes 10x over with the amount of people who already have perfect grades and SAT scores).
        And some simply buy their way into university. THe special EC of being loaded.
        Cough* BUSH *cough

ReputationRep:
        With first attempt failed I meant that no-one followed up on your first post. You then posted something in the lines of "HYP>>>>>>Oxbridge", which started this rather pointless discussion (I don't think that comparing universities is pointless - it should be done - but the way this discussion is conducted deprives it of purpose).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by sixthformer)
        the difference between oxford and cambridge and other uni's is so marginal, it is not only shallow, tactless, and downright a violation of morality to even engage in this debate, it is very arrogant wishful thinking as well.

You come out with the same degree, and will get to the same point in life.

Lord Sugar didn't even go to uni.

if your applying for the name and the ability to boast to your friends and boast to other people, then it is a great place to boast.
        I can see shallow, tactless, marginal, silly, time-wasting, absurd--any number of adjectives. I'm not really sure how I see this debate as somehow morally reprehensible. Care to expand on that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.