Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically saying (months ago) that if I were given the opportunity to become CIMA or ACA qualified, I would choose ACA, I think most people would.

ReputationRep:
    That depends on if you want a more practical accountancy experience or you are interested in being a finance professional who wants to focus on industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meatball1)
    I notice most of the debate in this forum concentrates on big 4 grad schemes and ACA. I would just like to say to people that it is not the only way, or indeed the best way.

There are disadvantages of working for PWC, KPMG, EY and Deloittes.

1. Apart from corp finance, the work of Tax and Audit is extremely dull.

2. ACA focuses on technical accounting. If you decide to work in industry after qualifiying you wont have the commercial awarness of somebody that has qualified in industry.

3. The salaries in practice are low compared with industry and commerce.

4. Industry and commerce jobs are much more interesting. Project Accounting, Management Accounting, Financial Accounting and Financial Planning and Analysis are much more interesting that Tax and Audit.

5. If you plan to leave the big 4 to work for Coca Cola or IBM why not work for them in the first place? They offer grad schemes that will throw you in at the deep end doing real accounting and analysis. Not like a big 4 scheme where you will be doing grunt jobs to begin with.

6. Once you are qualified its not about what body you qualified with ACA/CIMA/ACCA. It matters more what experience and personality you have. So why not get a 3 year head start and qualify in the industry you expect to move to eventually?

Qualifying with CIMA and 3 years experience in a Technology company (IBM, HP, Siemens) would be much more beneficial than 3 years experience at KPMG and applying to be a finance manager at IBM, HP, Siemens etc...

Just something to think about. Big 4 is good if you want to stay in practice, but I think there are better ways of qualifying if you intend on being senior management in a FTSE100 company.
    You are right! That's why I want to do CIMA. Do you know of good companiies? I mean graduate-friendly ones which offer CIMA in their graduate programmes?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing CIMA at an engineering company. I have also done an internship at one of the big 4 so I know at least a little about both options.

The advatanges for me of doing CIMA at my company as opposed to ACA at big 4 is:
    I earn more
    I will earn more when I qualify (than if I were to stay at a big 4 post Q)
    I work on a product I am passionate about and enjoy
    I get experience in a diverse range of accounting roles
    I find the work more enjoyable (it is not as repetetive as many accountancy roles - it is not just monthly reporting!)
    I get discounts on cars :P
    Graduate retention rate at my company is way higher than big 4 (this is a major issue for big 4)

What is the same:
    I am part of a large graduate intake with a great social atmosphere (arguably second to London)
    I will come out with a great qualification that will open many doors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P-K)
    I am doing CIMA at an engineering company. I have also done an internship at one of the big 4 so I know at least a little about both options.

The advatanges for me of doing CIMA at my company as opposed to ACA at big 4 is:
    I earn more
    I find the work more enjoyable (it is not as repetetive as many accountancy roles - it is not just monthly reporting!)
    Graduate retention rate at my company is way higher than big 4 (this is a major issue for big 4)

What is the same:
    I am part of a large graduate intake with a great social atmosphere (arguably second to London)
    I am starting my CIMA on a graduate scheme with an energy company in September and the reasons you have highlighted are exactly why I selected a company. In addition, I am more geared to business so CIMA was definitely for me.

Tell me something, how do the CIMA exams compare to university level exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P-K)

I earn more

What is the same:
    CIMA is the poor mans ACA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Yes, it is the experience, attitude and skill. Obviously they gained all that thanks to the job they had previously. Based off their qualifications I would imagine that's a Big Four.

And the auditors will be telling you what to change in those accounts. Different people like different things. Have you worked in tax for more than one year?

I never would have worked on the projects I have and talked to the people I have if it wasn't for picking tax. It's not all compliance either. In fact, I'd say a large % of that is being pushed down and outsourced. Transfer Pricing is a good example of a department that's solely project based.

I'm not saying the Big Four is the way to go for everyone. I'm simply punching holes in your disadvantages. You didn't once give advantages of industry, you just listed disadvantages of services.

Out of interest, what is your experience in the Big Four? Specifically for how long?
    Hi, I am a recent graduate and I am thinking for joining tax, hopefully at the Big 4. Can I ask what Big 4 you worked or working in and for how long? Also if you could tell me some of the pros and cons of working in tax if you dont mind?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simstar)
    CIMA is the poor mans ACA
    They're not really comparable. Cima is for management accounting, whereas ACA is for audit/financial accounting. ACCA is a poor mans ACA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    They're not really comparable. Cima is for management accounting, whereas ACA is for audit/financial accounting. ACCA is a poor mans ACA.
    I don't think you should be looking down on any qualification. Neither is better than the other. They are all respectable qualifications, require just as much commitment,dedication, intelligence as the other. They can all get you very far.

I know someone's who's done CIMA - Finance Manager at a hospital
    ACCA- Relatives who have their own accountancy practices and live very comfortable lives.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnisaurusrex)
    particularly as the very best graduates will be earning six figures in their first year after leaving university.

We all know who the troll is now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    can working at a big4 get you into IBD/AM/HF's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    can working at a big4 get you into IBD/AM/HF's?
    Whats AM?

ReputationRep:
    Asset Management.

ReputationRep:
    yes and no, stay away from big4, if you want a happy life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rza89)
    yes and no, stay away from big4, if you want a happy life
    Why did you resurrect a 5 month old thread?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.