Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    The thing that annoys me is when people drive with a foot of snow on top of the car and like instead of clearing the snow they just make like the tiniest hole in the windscreen.
    when he snow is falling off on the motorway people behind can't see a thing.
    Same when they don't bother scraping the snow off their brake lights. Do they think that faint pink glow the person behind would be lucky to see though the snow is going to satisfy their insurance company when someone goes into the back of them?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAXED)
    How much are they? Do you have them on your drive wheels only?
    If you're getting them, DON'T put them only on the driven wheels.
    My dad thought it was a great idea to do that when I was using his car for a bit last year. It was **** scary... couldn't touch the brakes without the rears locking. Had to resort to using only engine braking to slow it down a lot of the time.

I recommend Michelin Alpin tyres personally. They're not great in the dry, but in the rain or snow they really make quite a difference.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by py0alb)
    That's absolutely fine. No-one is saying that you should drive faster than you feel comfortable. But if some poor sod is stuck behind you for miles on end, then most people would pull over and let him go past. Why would you want to needlessly delay him? Do you go out with the intention of pissing other road users off? Are you some kind of motorway troll?
    I broken the speed limit numerous times on the motorway :ninja: and i've been done before :ninja::ninja: not that I am proud of that

ReputationRep:
    Don't let idiots like that affect your driving. You're infront so you're in charge, the ******** can wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAXED)
    How much are they? Do you have them on your drive wheels only?
    hiya
    'continental contiwintercontact ts790' - i paid £65 per tyre sometime during the summer months. i just checked the net and have been unable to find the same tyre for less than £80 at the moment, though.

i have them on all four corners, not just fronts.
    but my winters are with 'wolfrace' alloys, not the official fiat 500 alloys that are on the normal tyres for the rest of the year.

*peace sign*

ReputationRep:
    I have Kumho KW27 and KW17 tyres on my car, these are winter tyres. They are in 16" and are:-

Rear:- 225/50/R16 (KW17)
    Front:- 205/55/R16 (KW27)

They cost me £300 fitted onto my spare set of OEM alloys which were £100 from ebay, so I have a skanky set of alloys for winter and a nice set for summer with my original Bridgestones on.

They have made a massive difference, I have a RWD sports car and it is overtaking 4x4s going uphill. You should see the look on their faces! I can stop in snow in a tenth of the time on people on summer tyres and I can drive fairly normally, obviously they don't defy physics, but I can pull away and not have any wheel slip or back end action.

I would highly recommend getting these! They are awesome and mean you can still get out and about without fear of sliding off the road into a tree or kerb.

In addition, they are also optimised for working below 7C, they are not just snow tyres, they also offer superior grip to summer tyres in all winter conditions, including rain, ice, cold dry roads and snow. They are put simply, the correct tyres to be used in cold weather.

You change your shoes in winter, why do you think your car is any different?

I would recommend getting them in the summer though, I got mine at the end of September. Winter tyres are ridiculously expensive now and supply is very limited as demand has soared.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    Don't let idiots like that affect your driving. You're infront so you're in charge, the ******** can wait.

This is exactly the kind of moronic and selfish attitude I have a problem with.

"You're in front so you're in charge". Wtf? Do you think you own the **** ing road? Responsible driving is a case of constant negotiation.

ReputationRep:
    An Limited Slip Differential helps a lot.
    • TSR Support Team

Would have been easier if I found somewhere to pull in

ReputationRep:
    Winter tyres are completely unnecessary, this is England not Greenland, you only drive on snow or ice about 10 times a year, and its not dangerous unless you're a complete idiot.

Lets be frank: 300 quids worth of fancy rubber is no match for actually knowing how to drive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    What's annoying me more at the moment is the fact that pedestrians think it's okay to walk in the middle of the road just because there's snow on it.. and not even move to the side when I'm trying to get past them!
    Don't worry, keep driving if they don't move apart...R.I.P.

ReputationRep:
    You should have driven even slower. That's what I would have done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellophane11)
    You should have driven even slower. That's what I would have done
    and I would have reported you to the police for dangerous and aggressive driving :top:

On another note, I actually know a guy who did this in North London: the guy pulled in front of him, forcing him to stop, then got out and smashed all his windows in with a baseball bat while he cowered in terror in the footwell.

But yeah, good idea. Deliberately antagonising other roadusers is the key to safe and responsible driving :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    and I would have reported you to the police for dangerous and aggressive driving :top:

On another note, I actually know a guy who did this in North London: the guy pulled in front of him, forcing him to stop, then got out and smashed all his windows in with a baseball bat while he cowered in terror in the footwell.

But yeah, good idea. Deliberately antagonising other roadusers is the key to safe and responsible driving :rolleyes:
    Driving a wee bit slower is not dangerous and aggressive driving.
    Speeding up behind me, tailgating me, and continuously flashing your lights is agressive driving and that antagonises me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    You change your shoes in winter, why do you think your car is any different
    Because we're humans and they're machines. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    The idiot driver behind has the power to crash into the back of you. I always like to be behind or a few cars in front of a bad driver.

ReputationRep:
    I understand people have to go slow when driving in conditions like snow and ice. But some people go a little too slow even when its safe to go faster by 10 miles or so. And everyone complaining about the snow and driving conditions, some people are just pussies when it comes to driving in the snow.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem the other day but it was coupled with hellish fog. She actually overtook me, then out of nowhere a car comes her way (literally out of nowhere because of the fog) and she had to pull back. Haha she hung back after that probably crying her eyes out at her stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Why is it that people have to speed in icy conditions, I had a situation tonight where I was going quite slowly because of the bad conditions and this prat behind me starting flashing his lights at me and shaking his fist, all because he couldn't over take with the amount of ice and snow in the middle of the road, just why?
    Argh! I totally agree!

It annoyed me too, 2 lanes were covered in snow yet some prick in a BMW thought he's flash at me when going a safe & steady 40mph during a snowfall and slushy motorway. Right up my backside- then overtook me & 2 other cars!

Its not the snow thats the hazard its bullies & idiots .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    What's annoying me more at the moment is the fact that pedestrians think it's okay to walk in the middle of the road just because there's snow on it.. and not even move to the side when I'm trying to get past them!
    :rofl2: LOOL! im one of those annoying padestrians, the pavements are bare icy :nopity:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.