The Student Room Group

Simon Cowell set for a knighthood... for "services to music"

Scroll to see replies

Has simon cowell ever been even remotely involved with any decent artist?

We should stop giving knighthoods away like loose chance, and give them to people who truly deserve them, not just people to make up the numbers on the list.
Ugh, I'm sick of this cheapening of Knighthood. Slay a dragon!! or at least a pikey or something. What's Cowell done apart from being yet another tv celeb..

no but srs, why has Stephen Hawking not got a Knighthood yet for services to science and science popularisation? He even has a better voice than Cowell's singers FFS.
"Services" :rofl:
Is this a ****ing joke? This man is nothing but a manipulator and a confidence trickster. He deserves a place in the national Hall of Shame, not this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by hothedgehog

Original post by hothedgehog
Services to music my arse. Terrible, autotuned, talentless crap he produces.

What autotuned crap would that be...?
Reply 44
Let's hope the Queen doesn't accidentally decapitate him with the knighthood sword as she's tapping his shoulders, eh?
Reply 45
I can't think of anyone who has done greater damage to the music industry.
Reply 46
Original post by Einheri

Original post by Einheri
I can't think of anyone who has done greater damage to the music industry.

I dread to think what state the industry would be without him. Like what his label produces or not, The X Factor is one of the few remaining shows that can host prime time musical performances, and it's the sales these performances propel that keeps the money flowing. Without The X Factor, there'd be a lot less funding for new artists...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by sammyrj
I dread to think what state the industry would be without him. Like what his label produces or not, The X Factor is one of the few remaining shows that can host prime time musical performances, and it's the sales these performances propel that keeps the money flowing. Without The X Factor, there'd be a lot less funding for new artists...

I draw a distinction between music and anything that comes out of The X Factor.
Reply 48
Original post by Einheri

Original post by Einheri
I draw a distinction between music and anything that comes out of The X Factor.

Well besides the fact that Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are actually very good pop artists, I'm not really talking about the winner's songs and all that stuff. The songs performed by contestants get a massive boost in sales, and the celebrity guests that feature get a huge audience that they just can't get anywhere else since the demise of Top of the Pops, Popworld, Total Request Live, etc. Rihanna, for instance, sold 193 000 albums this week. One hundred and ninety three thousand albums. That's insane, and it wouldn't have been possible without the promo she got on The X Factor.

Whether you like it or not, Matt Cardle's version of Many of Horror will pay for Biffy Clyro's next album.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Simon Cowell is to receive a knighthood before Stephen Fry?

The world has TRULY gone mad.
As if his head isn't big enough already :no:
Original post by sammyrj
What autotuned crap would that be...?

Well, did you hear the live version from the final that the winner of x-factor this year did for his single after winning? That is severely out of tune in quite a few places and I strongly suspect (although I haven't actually listened to it) that it will all be tuned out in the recording and production of the piece.

It's been the same with the last few winners too, some of their singing has been terrible.
Reply 52
A lot of the revenue is tax money so that could be one of the main reasons for it.
Its genuinely not that surprising and undeserved. The guy is the mastermind behind two of the globe's biggest television franchises. His show has helped to produce a few of this country's most successful recording artists of recent times. Part of the proceeds from the winner's singles go to charity and the annual X Factor tour is pretty successful. Although I would argue if he should be knighted for anything it should probably be for services to broadcasting
I don't think a knighthood means very much these days.
It's devalued greatly judging by some of the people that have recieved them.
Original post by sammyrj
Well besides the fact that Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are actually very good pop artists, I'm not really talking about the winner's songs and all that stuff. The songs performed by contestants get a massive boost in sales, and the celebrity guests that feature get a huge audience that they just can't get anywhere else since the demise of Top of the Pops, Popworld, Total Request Live, etc. Rihanna, for instance, sold 193 000 albums this week. One hundred and ninety three thousand albums. That's insane, and it wouldn't have been possible without the promo she got on The X Factor.

Whether you like it or not, Matt Cardle's version of Many of Horror will pay for Biffy Clyro's next album.

X factor is about marketing, not about talent. When the marketing money dries up then the artist is probably going to fail. Last years winners new single went in the chart in 70's-80's the other week.

Biffy's new album would have already been paid for, they are headlining festivals and playing wembly stadium now. They arent some tiny little band, they didnt need X factor.

X factor has been very bad for the music industry. Artists shouldnt be able to go on a tv show for a few weeks singing other peoples songs and then come out of it with a million pound record deal, and a team of song writers. All these people on the X factor would have been able to make it without it if they were good enough and put enough effort it.

To people really think that the likes of Jedward and JLS are good for music?
Reply 56
Original post by DaveSmith99
x

If people like it why complain? if you dont like it ignore it?

i personally dont mind the show but i dont like the music ( Besides loena lewis)
Surely it should be for services to crap music?!
Reply 58
Original post by DaveSmith99
X factor is about marketing, not about talent. When the marketing money dries up then the artist is probably going to fail. Last years winners new single went in the chart in 70's-80's the other week.

Biffy's new album would have already been paid for, they are headlining festivals and playing wembly stadium now. They arent some tiny little band, they didnt need X factor.

X factor has been very bad for the music industry. Artists shouldnt be able to go on a tv show for a few weeks singing other peoples songs and then come out of it with a million pound record deal, and a team of song writers. All these people on the X factor would have been able to make it without it if they were good enough and put enough effort it.

To people really think that the likes of Jedward and JLS are good for music?

If we ignore for a fact that the whole story this thread is based on is inaccurate, untrue and an attempt at stirring controversy, there is nothing wrong with recognising success, benevolence and philanthropy. That is essentially what the honours system does these days, recommended by the Government - not the Queen - as most people seem to forget.

It is patently clear you don't like Cowell's methods or the 'travestoes' he's unleashed on the country. That is merely your opinion. It is not fact. That someone has a different opinion to you is not so much of a jump of logic, surely? Sure, Cowell's made himself tens of millions of pounds off the back of the programme and his decades in the pop music industry before that, but he's also used his position to raise tens of millions for charities around the world. Recognition of that fact is liable to bring these causes again to the front of people's minds and again raise money. Is that really an occasion to be sneered at and mocked?
Reply 59
Services to marketing? Definitely.

Services to lowest common denominator light entertainment television? Sure.

Services to music? What? What music?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending