Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drinking on your own Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Nope, strictly on social occasions. And never to the point of drunkness.

Aren't I a boring person? :rolleyes:
    No, cause that means I am boring aswell :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    Just don't go out on your own after drinking on your own, thinking "I'll meet some random people and have great fun because everyone loves a drunk".It doesn't work out.
    I made friends with an older guy who could apparently get his hands on any type of drugs I wanted and then pulled an ugly girl on the bus home.

It can work out but that horror story of a night makes me wish it didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see why, being drunk on your own is such a social stigma. People give the argument that drinking is a social thing, therefore drinking by yourself is a sign of a problem. There's a few things wrong with this logic, firstly, saying that drinking is only a social thing has problems of its own, it implies that the people who only drink when they're with people, drink, purely to be more sociable. This to me indicates a much bigger problem than those who drink purely because they like the effects of being drunk. Secondly, it completely ignores how much alcohol is consumed, people think, just because someone gets ****faced by themselves, say, once every couple of weeks that they have more of a problem than say, someone who gets drunk three or four times a week by going out to parties. Which is ridiculous.

I have no doubt, that people would call me an alcoholic, if I said to them, I drink twice a week by myself and get absolutely ****-faced (which I don't) compared to if I said, I get ****-faced twice a week but at parties. People seem to automatically call people alcoholics if they drink alone, regardless of how much they drink, which is ridiculous logic. I think it's based on the fact that alcoholics will drink everyday, which means most of the time they're drinking alone, and so people associate drinking alone with alcoholism. It's stupid logic. Alcoholism is defined by a constant need to drink, it is not defined by whether or not you drink alone. In fact, the majority of alcoholics, do not even drink to get drunk, they drink because they need to drink, most of them don't even want to get drunk, they'll just drink in order to maintain a certain level of alcohol within themselves, so that they don't feel withdrawal symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    I fail to see why, being drunk on your own is such a social stigma. People give the argument that drinking is a social thing, therefore drinking by yourself is a sign of a problem. There's a few things wrong with this logic, firstly, saying that drinking is only a social thing has problems of its own, it implies that the people who only drink when they're with people, drink, purely to be more sociable. This to me indicates a much bigger problem than those who drink purely because they like the effects of being drunk. Secondly, it completely ignores how much alcohol is consumed, people think, just because someone gets ****faced by themselves, say, once every couple of weeks that they have more of a problem than say, someone who gets drunk three or four times a week by going out to parties. Which is ridiculous.

I have no doubt, that people would call me an alcoholic, if I said to them, I drink twice a week by myself and get absolutely ****-faced (which I don't) compared to if I said, I get ****-faced twice a week but at parties. People seem to automatically call people alcoholics if they drink alone, regardless of how much they drink, which is ridiculous logic. I think it's based on the fact that alcoholics will drink everyday, which means most of the time they're drinking alone, and so people associate drinking alone with alcoholism. It's stupid logic. Alcoholism is defined by a constant need to drink, it is not defined by whether or not you drink alone. In fact, the majority of alcoholics, do not even drink to get drunk, they drink because they need to drink, most of them don't even want to get drunk, they'll just drink in order to maintain a certain level of alcohol within themselves, so that they don't feel withdrawal symptoms.
    BOOM! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The greater shame is getting tipsy of 3 cans. Are you 12?

ReputationRep:
    This idea makes me tremble with irritation. How is it any f*cking different from drinking any other drink with people as opposed to on one's own?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a couple in front of the tv on occasion, if the football/darts is on for example,i hardly consider that 'sad'. I can't say i've ever got drunk on my own though, just a couple to unwind.

ReputationRep:
    I think canned beer lasts more than a week, but that said, i have a beer on the sofa after work once or twice a week sometimes with a housemate, sometimes not. As long as your not to the point of feeling you need it to relax its all cool imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    One or two, maybe three, drinks on your own isn't so bad.
    I've had quite a bit tonight on my own, while chatting to people online. It's a nice way to relax.

ReputationRep:
    Jheez! I don't get why people drink.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.