Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaws010)
    orange because it wouldnt react and Br + organic solvent = orange
    yeah orange/brown is what i thought but then before idonie solutions are displaced the solution is brown and chlorine is pale-green :/.
    ahh well easy paper might not have gotten 100% but defineately an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredmc)
    Yeaaah thats right for ionisation energy definitely, I did consider that answer on Group 7 but I thought that the outermost electrons wouldn't matter as they're gaining electrons, not losing them usually, so wrote Van der Waals instead - _ - To be honest I had 15 seconds left and panicked :P
    Haha I know I coudn't actually believe how close I was to not finishing... I have done so many papers and that's never happened before. Lets hope I get an A this time so I don't have to do it AGAIN...

ReputationRep:
    I actually loved this paper, i finished with 10 minutes at the end, just enough time to check all my maths and stuff. i'm pretty sure the fluorine + water question was 2F2 + 2H2O --> 4HF + O2. i had to be 2 waters because there was o2 at the end, meaning there had to be 2x f2 as there's now 4 hydrogens and hydrogen is +1, fluorine -1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hattie.s)
    I actually loved this paper, i finished with 10 minutes at the end, just enough time to check all my maths and stuff. i'm pretty sure the fluorine + water question was 2F2 + 2H2O --> 4HF + O2. i had to be 2 waters because there was o2 at the end, meaning there had to be 2x f2 as there's now 4 hydrogens and hydrogen is +1, fluorine -1
    that was my reasoning too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaeveEllen92)
    That's the reaction I put if i remember correctly.

F reacts the same as Cl, so I would have thought its just HF :|
    But Oxygen goes to 0 cause all elements are oxidation state 0. and H is always +1 so in HF F would be -1. Soo.. It F goes from 0(F2) to -1(HF) andd O goes from -2(H2O) to 0(O2). F has been Reduced and O has been Oxidized .
    omg im so stupid. how did i not know o2 would be 0. iv'e made so many stupid mistakes. i just hope the grade boundries be low. fingers crossed. and for F i answered it from 0 to -1 but a second b4 the end i changed it to 2+. i feel like banging my head against the wall.

ReputationRep:
    What did u get for the question about the shape of a 5s orbital??

ReputationRep:
    sphere

ReputationRep:
    sphere
    I had a completely stupid momment and put circular :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaws010)
    I had a completely stupid momment and put circular :banghead:
    a circle, nice 3D shape

ReputationRep:
    a circle, nice 3D shape
    i know right , my head went blank :/

ReputationRep:
    a circle, nice 3D shape
    lol hopefully we all get A's as the paper was fairly easy. I go to a private school and quite a lot of the students there found the paper quite difficult :/ Never know, they might decrease the Grade boundary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yinkx92)
    lol hopefully we all get A's as the paper was fairly easy.I got to a private school and quite a lot of the students there found the paper quite difficult :/ Never know,they might decrease the Grade boundary!
    they might, but they do not tend to decrease them much for AS january exams (i retook this today).... but in june exams an A can be as low as around the 60% mark

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it was that hard tbh, there were just quite a few that weren't in the big topics and you had to really know the course to know how to answer them

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it was that hard tbh, there were just quite a few that weren't in the big topics and you had to really know the course to know how to answer them
    agreed, this was much easier than the first time i took it

ReputationRep:
    The second electronegativity question was rather annoying. Where you had to apply the delta - and delta + to the N-F and N-Br molecules. The first was obviously easy, Flourine being the most electronegative element in the periodic table, but the second, dear lord, they have such close electronegativities.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pauljoseph)
    The second electronegativity question was rather annoying. Where you had to apply the delta - and delta + to the N-F and N-Br molecules. The first was obviously easy, Flourine being the most electronegative element in the periodic table, but the second, dear lord, they have such close electronegativities.

Didn't you just look up at the table where N had electro negativity of 3 and Br was 2.8...

ReputationRep:
    thats what i did for the electronegativity diagram, i just mucked up on the definition, by only putting "the ability of an atom to pull in surrounding electrons" or something like that, but i should of mentioned its in covalent bonds, though ive just checked google which seems to confuse me http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ctronegativity
    would I have got any out of the two marks?

its been said on another thread, but thought i'd ask it here, what did people get for the conc. of hydroxide ions?
    i got 0.01048 dm^3 mol^-1, as there were two moles of hydroxide ions out of the 250 cm^3 solution. I did (0.00131*2)/0.25 and got that answer most likely got it wrong! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredmc)
    thats what i did for the electronegativity diagram, i just mucked up on the definition, by only putting "the ability of an atom to pull in surrounding electrons" or something like that, but i should of mentioned its in covalent bonds, though ive just checked google which seems to confuse me http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ctronegativity
    would I have got any out of the two marks?

its been said on another thread, but thought i'd ask it here, what did people get for the conc. of hydroxide ions?
    i got 0.01048 dm^3 mol^-1, as there were two moles of hydroxide ions out of the 250 cm^3 solution. I did (0.00131*2)/0.25 and got that answer most likely got it wrong! :P
    You need to say the attraction of an atom for the shared pair of electrons for1mark,and for the 2nd mark you have to mention that it is in a covalent bond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Didn't you just look up at the table where N had electro negativity of 3 and Br was 2.8...
    Ouch... there was a table? Where? I must've been more tired than I thought lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeeTay)
    Anyone thinking of emailing OCR to complain about either the lack of time or the amount of questions/comprehension ?
    That's a no go. It wouldn't get you anywhere, besides, if literally everyone struggled to finish with all the questions answered in depth, and correct, then the grade boundaries will be lowered accordingly. If not there is always May/June retakes.

I personally think an A in this paper will not be 80%- 48 marks, I reckon perhaps between 42 and 45 marks will get you an A, which was definitely doable (here's to hoping anyway).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.