Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Someone find me an example of just one war in history where this kinda thing hasn't happened.
    just because it happens doesn't make it right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovely88)
    This is disgusting and disturbing!!! I hope he gets raped and killed in jail!
    The pic of his victim is just heart breaking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-family.html
    That should bring an end to the cycle of violence.

ReputationRep:
    War damages people mentally, I wonder had he chosen a different career and not experienced the crushing mental pressures of war whether he would have turned out differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Well obviously he wouldn't have done it if the opportunity didn't arise. However it did, and as a result of him being an evil individual he took the opportunity with both hands to murder that girl's family and rape her. The majority of people in that situation wouldn't do that with/without training, and he'd have done exactly the same thing if the opportunity arose elsewhere - even America. It's a bit like those people who go on killing rampages in the US and parts of Europe with guns, it doesn't happen in the UK because guns are much harder to acquire, if guns were commonplace you'd see it more often as people have the means to satisfy their bloody fantasies.
    i disagree, i think the training was the main factor. obviously there's no way of telling for sure, but there's loads of evidence that the psychological effects can lead normal people to do things they'd never have done otherwise. things they'd never even have DREAMED of or even been subconsciously inclined to do. if you want to see evidence just say and i should be able to find some but it may have to wait until tomorrow :run:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    He rapes a 14 year old girl. Raping is immoral and sick. You hope he gets raped in jail but that isn't immoral and sick? You also believe he should be killed? Well ain't you just one happy sane person rather than a twisted sadistic individual.
    it a tad bit different if the person you want dead is a peadaphlie that raped a young girl and murdered her entire family just because he wanted to

ReputationRep:
    I hope someone cuts him to pieces in prison. Vile, dirty, worthless piece of sh*t like this doesn't deserve to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    same thing happened en masse in My Lai and in countless other locations and times during war.

he's sick, but after studying the psychological effects being trained for war can have on an individual, when he says he wouldn't have done it had he not been in the army, i believe him.

i mean, it's obviously possible he had it in him all along, but so many atrocities like this have happened in similar situations, it'd be naive to assume military training doesn't have a massive effect. they're trained to obey orders; to kill without thinking. it's drilled into them. people on this forum would do the same if they were put through the same training.
    i'm pretty sure most soldiers wouldn't do what he did and they all have the same training hence your explanation for his evil and twisted actions is invalid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    What I also find disturbing is how the general public think soldiers should be immune from criticism. They carry out orders, often against their conscious, and enable injustice to take place. I don't care what their motives are or if they're "just doing their job" -- that's not loyalty, that's just them trying to wash their hands. You can call politicians evil or whatever you like, but the soldiers are making it happen on the ground.
    I completely agree. Although i think soldiers are very brave and mostly responsible, respected and honourable members it does not make it alright for the odd few to break rules.
    Yes they are doing more than a lot would but it doesn't excuse them from acting in an inhuman manor. They do take orders and carry out procedure which they may perhaps not want to however i highly doubt this behaviour is an order and it is an act which anyone should know is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree, i think the training was the main factor. obviously there's no way of telling for sure, but there's loads of evidence that the psychological effects can lead normal people to do things they'd never have done otherwise. things they'd never even have DREAMED of or even been subconsciously inclined to do. if you want to see evidence just say and i should be able to find some but it may have to wait until tomorrow :run:
    They're trained to shoot armed insurgents or soldiers not murder/rape families. As I said before most other soldiers haven't raped girls or brutally murdered helpless families and they were trained just as he was so the bolded point stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrior-1)
    Don't worry they're Muslims. They're use to it.
    Before being Muslim, they are human. Something ignorant people like you won't be familiar with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    He rapes a 14 year old girl. Raping is immoral and sick. You hope he gets raped in jail but that isn't immoral and sick? You also believe he should be killed? Well ain't you just one happy sane person rather than a twisted sadistic individual.
    :rolleyes:

He killed her and her family too. This guy is a monster, he should be brutally executed for the evil scumbag he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    They're trained to shoot armed insurgents or soldiers not murder/rape families. As I said before most other soldiers haven't raped girls or brutally murdered helpless families and they were trained just as he was so the bolded point stands.
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    i'm pretty sure most soldiers wouldn't do what he did and they all have the same training hence your explanation for his evil and twisted actions is invalid
    they're often trained to see the enemy as inhuman so they're able to follow orders to destroy live humans without thinking twice. i'm not trying to condone his actions at all, just trying to offer an alternative viewpoint to that of him just having the innate nature of a crazy murdering rapist, nor am i attempting to suggest that the training would affect every soldier in the same way, just that a culmination of factors including but not limited to a violent disposition, previous life experience, susceptibility to the methods of training that dehumanise the enemy in the minds of the soldiers and orders and situation at the time all played a factor in what he did.

i used the example of My Lai before because it's a good example of a whole regiment raping and murdering a village. the chances of that whole regiment (in which there were nearly 30) being like that before the training is tiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre - worth a read

it's one of far too many examples.

ReputationRep:
    So, if a civilian in America raped a kid and killed someone, they'd face the death penalty right?
    Why is it, just because he's a soldier, that he receives a custodial sentence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovely88)
    This is disgusting and disturbing!!! I hope he gets raped and killed in jail!
    The pic of his victim is just heart breaking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-family.html
    I agree with OP. dirty *******. he's got a f**n grin on his face as well. he gave such a **** excuse too - "oh my mates died so i decided to kill a family and rape a 14 year old girl to cheer myself up" - ****.

ReputationRep:
    they're often trained to see the enemy as inhuman so they're able to follow orders to destroy live humans without thinking twice. i'm not trying to condone his actions at all, just trying to offer an alternative viewpoint to that of him just having the innate nature of a crazy murdering rapist, nor am i attempting to suggest that the training would affect every soldier in the same way, just that a culmination of factors including but not limited to a violent disposition, previous life experience, susceptibility to the methods of training that dehumanise the enemy in the minds of the soldiers and orders and situation at the time all played a factor in what he did.

i used the example of My Lai before because it's a good example of a whole regiment raping and murdering a village. the chances of that whole regiment (in which there were nearly 30) being like that before the training is tiny.

sorry, but there's absolutely no justification whatsoever. have you seen the photo of him? he's happy about it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    :rolleyes:

He killed her and her family too. This guy is a monster, he should be brutally executed for the evil scumbag he is.
    Yes mate, something we agree on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Any loss of human life is tragic and wrong. How can someone show remorse and regret and come to terms with what they've done if they're dead?

Wishing death upon someone, and showing glee that that has been done to them, is just as bad as wishing to go out and kill yourself.
    Depends on your view of what's right and wrong, there are some who'd argue from an utilitarian standpoint that the benefits of killing such men, i.e. deterrence, public safety and in this case the satisfaction of people's desire for revenge, outweigh their respective desires to continue living. Therefore they should be killed..

On a personal note, imagine this girl was your daughter or sister, wouldn't you want the 'man' who raped her and then killed her in cold blood put down? Sometimes all it takes is a bit of perspective in order to wish somebody death..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The worst thing is people deciding that everyone in every single Armed Force is the same, that they're all inhuamne, murderous, vicious people. That's the bigger crime, the bigger perpetuation of ignorance.

The Armed Forces are a cross section of society, sure there are bad apples, people who are inherently not nice, but there are people like that who've never come close the Armed Forces who've done far worse.

By all means ciriticise and vilify those who commit crimes, heinous or not, but painting every single serviceman with the same brush? Makes you look like the idiot, tbh.
    Yet when a handful of Muslims (literally handful) fly planes into buildings, 2 countries get invaded... who is the generalising idiot now?

ReputationRep:
    at least he wasn't British...

ReputationRep:

What about his sentencing? Do you think he should be released because his training may have played a part in this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.