Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You should always choose experiences over possessions. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think both feed into each other. I have a "special box" which is filled with photos of friends and stuff that means things to me- I have my friendship bracelet my best friend bought for me when I was six, old train tickets from visiting my boyfriend, a pencil I brought back from Latin camp, etc. It's lovely to sit and go through the box and think "remember when..." The items in it wouldn't mean anything without the memories, but in 20 years time I might have forgotten some of those memories without the items to remind me.

In general though, I would rather go travelling than buy a designer handbag or stuff like that. I'm getting theatre tickets for Christmas! And for my birthday I got money towards my interrailing fund for next year.

ReputationRep:
    I agree!
    I have very little affection for objects, I'd much rather have memories.

ReputationRep:
    As with all things, you need to strike a healthy balance. After all, possessions help to make a home in which you can have many good experiences.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I just thought of, is that people who talk about how experiences are better, how many of them have a pc? internet etc.

So would you rather go home to a dingy room with no possessions, only a few clothes, not even a phone etc.

You could go to uni or a library for pc access,go to library for books etc.

But I agree with whats said and I said about a balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Tbf, it is so easy to fake memories really. They are called "dreams". (Not talking about dreams in the sense of one's aspirations, but dreams as in your thoughts).

Essentially, there will be a time in society where we cannot differentiate between a "dream", a "thought" and a "memory". One day we will acknowledge that they are in fact the very same thing.
    what the hell are you on about?!

(Original post by adam_zed)
      what the hell are you on about?!
      How the hell can we tell the difference from a memory, a thought, an experience and a dream?

If I have a memory of a unicorn dry-humping me, how do you know that just isn't a dream of mine?

ReputationRep:
      Experiences cant pay the rent

ReputationRep:
      How the hell can we tell the difference from a memory, a thought, an experience and a dream?

If I have a memory of a unicorn dry-humping me, how do you know that just isn't a dream of mine?
      well an experience or thoughts are memories as are the dreams that we remember? somehow you are justifying frittering away money on things that dont even fulfill the insatiable material appetite because you dream?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Neil_K)
      Totally agree. I actually believe that all of life is memories. As you get older, all you have is memories, and they are either good or bad ones. So choose the life experiences that will give you the best memories.
      You'll probably also have a house, car, and a toaster. You won't be living outside, naked, trying to let your memories keep you warm.

ReputationRep:
      It's a little bit too deep for a 20 year old man like myself to be saying, but the older we get, and the more things we see, the greater the worth of our brains and memory - thus they are better possessions to have than the new spring collection or the shiny new Mac.

I'd rather do things than just have things, personally.

(Original post by adam_zed)
        well an experience or thoughts are memories as are the dreams that we remember? somehow you are justifying frittering away money on things that dont even fulfill the insatiable material appetite because you dream?
        If I think of an experience so deeply, could you say that I've actually experienced it and it's just a memory of mine? How would you ever know?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SuperKell)
        There is no real difference between gaining a possession during or because of an experience because they are both tied to that.

Every possession you have can has a story behind it though, even if its not awesome.
        That's what I'm saying....

ReputationRep:
        I'd say bad and good experiences are worth it, experiences that maintain an inertia would tend not to be worth it. Possessions are generally good if they are good investments - i.e. you get a lot of use out of them. Also possessions you don't really need like a flash car ARE quite important in maintaining social currency because people tend to use filters and be superficial because life's too short to get to know everyone.

ReputationRep:
        If I think of an experience so deeply, could you say that I've actually experienced it and it's just a memory of mine? How would you ever know?
        I understand what you are saying, I just think you are saying it in a very bad way. I have woken up with feelings of anger towards a particular person, before realising that the heated argument I had with them was a dream.

Yet, correct me if I am wrong, but you are justifying spending money on pointless material gain rather than investing it in an experience, in a moment that you will treasure for ever. For example, the money I had set aside a few years ago for a ped, I put towards a trip to Bologna. Standing on top of the Duo Torres overlooking the whole city and hills behind was a sense of peace and happiness that getting a ped to look cool would not have given me.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.