Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nice beaches in the UK? (no pebbles!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    North Devon, Croyde, Woolacombe or Saunton Sands (best quieter place on the last is Crow Point at the southern edge of the Burrows).

or Gwithian in Cornwall.

ReputationRep:
    The coast around Northumberland is beautiful. Embleton for example:

Also West of Scotland/Scottish islands!

ReputationRep:
    Sandbanks in Poole

ReputationRep:
    Formby beach is amasing

ReputationRep:
    Camber Sands.. And quite warm (for England!)..

ReputationRep:
    Three Cliffs Bay in Wales has been declared the best beach in Britain a few times. Go on, google it. Prepare to set your eyes upon the gorgeous beast that is Three Cliffs Bay.

ReputationRep:
    These all look gorgeous.

http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches...iona-beach.jpg

http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches...e-scotland.jpg

http://www.supanet.com/britains-best...y-12955691.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...55_468x286.jpg (Porthgwidden Beach, St Ives, Cornwall)

http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches...each-water.jpg (Porthcurno Beach, Cornwall)

http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches...sles-beach.jpg (Higher Town Bay, St Martin's, Isles of Scilly)

In addition, there's many lovely beaches in the Gower Peninsula and in Pembrokeshire in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Probably the south :dontknow:

The UK isnt particularly well known for good beaches...
    There are something like 120 Blue flag beaches in the UK and the Kent coast was designated one of the top 12 worldwide destinations people should visit in 2011 by a renowned travel group (controversial yes, our tourism minister thought it was a wind-up at first! but still significant).

British people tend to moan about the beaches, but then what don't they moan about? I'm sure the UK isn't the first consideration when people are asked about beaches, but they are very decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    There are something like 120 Blue flag beaches in the UK and the Kent coast was designated one of the top 12 worldwide destinations people should visit in 2011 by a renowned travel group (controversial yes, our tourism minister thought it was a wind-up at first! but still significant).

British people tend to moan about the beaches, but then what don't they moan about? I'm sure the UK isn't the first consideration when people are asked about beaches, but they are very decent.

Does this renowned travel group happen to be UK based?

Anyway, coming from Greece, I don't really see UK beaches as that much of a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Bude is quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of cornwall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosmof)
    Me and my girlfriend want to go on holiday next summer, but we want places where the beaches and nice and sandy (not pebbly).

Does anyone know of any places?

We've been looking for weeks.. we are clueless.

Thanks for any replies!
    Get a decent job and go to Spain on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Rhossili bay.

South Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Crantock is gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    Overcombe - Dorset, if you like the less high profile beaches.
    Absolutely gorgeous down there.

ReputationRep:
    Margate beach

ReputationRep:
    I'm a local to the Dorset area, and I can safely say without a doubt that you will get no better beach here then Sandbanks - it is my favourite beach in the region and you can get a ferry across from there to some of our other nice beaches such as Shell Bay . Bournemouth is good, but i prefer Sandbanks as it can get extremely busy at Bournemouth in peak season . Boscombe is also a lovely beach I'd also recommend Swanage. It's lovely there, but it's quite a way from any major town.

ReputationRep:
    Skegness?

There is also a nice beach in Brancaster (Norfolk)

ReputationRep:
    I'll always have a soft spot for Woolacombe beach, even though it's usually quite busy. Croyde bay is nice as well

I'd also recommend places such as Hunstanton/Wells-Next-To-The-Sea/Cromer in Norfolk - the only downside is the North Sea. It's always cold and looks horrible

Blue Anchor which is next to Minehead - it's lovely! Although it's quite a small area and not much to do unless you do go to Minehead and walking around Dunster is nice

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has already said, Devon and Cornwall are probably the best bets.

Although if you've got a few extra pounds to spend you could always consider Jersey, too. Pretty sure my flight there only cost £40 return and it was amazinggg! The beaches are all gorgeous and no matter where you stay it's easy to get to one since the island is only 9 by 5 miles. Plenty to do there too, like the zoo, castles etc.

Wales has some lovely ones but in my experience weather is much more temperamental than down South.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.