Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my student house one of the residents the year before me died of a heart attack, and whilst we were living there the next door neighbour also died of a heart attack.

One of my housemates claimed he could hear stuff moving around at night and was scared witless. Then we found out it was mice in the walls scrabbling about.

Truth be told though I killed them with the death note... mwahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if I was you, I'd stay at a friend's house till I forgot about the incident (or had decided it was nothing) and would then return to the home.

As a matter of fact, this is my 'omfg-there's-a-spider-in-my-bedroom' protocol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a huge believer in the paranormal although I do like programs like "Most Haunted" because it's entertaining and I do like the Ghostbusters films.

ReputationRep:
    Ghosbusters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    Get a priest to perform an exorcism on the house.
    I know quite a lot about exorcism. Kinda interesting.

Tell me about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    buy a necklace made of garlic... lol your friends will love you...
    That's vampires...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Personally, it would scare me to death! I don't think I could live in the house anymore.. but then again I wouldn't know what I'd do unless it actually happened.
    Rather live in forest?

I've experienced all this exorcism phenomeno.

And to be honest, living in a forest with full of animals is safer than living in a a hunted house. They may have eyes and ears.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few counter arguements for ghosts!

1. Are all ghost naked? Since your clothes dont die.
    2. isnt ghost world severely over populated?
    3.Do animals turn into ghosts? what about dinosaurs?
    4. Is hitler getting his arse handed to him by the ww2 dead?
    5. If cameras can pick up ghost etc then why dont you see ghosts at football matches and stuff thats where I would be or ruining live tv.

I look forward to anyone who would like to challenge me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Whenever I go to sleep I have to have all of my body under the covers, with a peep-hole for my face... If i realise that one of my legs has been hanging out of the covers my facial expression turns into something resembling this ---> :zomg: and I have to slowly retract it. I have a fear that whilst I'm all vulnerable, a ghost will take advantage of my motionlessness... If I'm under the covers however, they will know that i'm not up for any touchy-feely time.

Ahaha I totally do this!
    Have you seen the film, The Entitiy?
    The poor woman gets taken advantage of.I couldn't sleep for days after seeing that film Lol.

ReputationRep:
    The paranormal fascinates me.I cant say for sure if ghosts actually do exist though, not sure anyone can tbh.I imagine living in a house with a ghost must be quite scary though.My mum always swore that our old house was haunted by an old woman, and she swears she saw her standing at the top of the stairs all the time.In fact she wouldnt go upstairs up she was alone in the house.

EDIT: For all of those interested I suggest you have a look at these

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/paranor...pe/index.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Tape

Very interesting indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sime)
    It may be comforting to read up on how human perception can be very faulty, especially when it is dark, and even more so when we are scared.

The brain cannot possibly take in all the sensory information from around us and process all of it, or else we would need a much larger brain. Instead it takes in most of it, and then 'guesses' to fill in the gaps in perception. Often this mechanism can go wrong, especially when senses are dampened (as in the dark) or when people are tired or scared, causing people to sense something that isn't there.

Humans also have this tendency to recognise or invent patterns in random images. This is known as Pareidolia. It is also the reason why most people recognise this -> as a face and not just a collection of shapes. This can also make people think that there are ghosts present by perceiving perfectly normal objects and phenomena, like a curtain in a breeze, as something alive or supernatural.

This mechanism has evolved because it was advantageous as early man to be worried and cautious about unfamiliar sounds and images. In the event that the rustling in the bushes was indeed a mountain lion, it is good that you were already scared and hence already had the adrenaline coursing through you to get ready to run.

There are also studies showing that people exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning or to infrasound (a very low sound caused by weather or machinery nearby) are more likely to experience feelings of anxiety or sensing something that isn't there. So you could check the carbon monoxide stuff out with a monitor you can buy, as leaks can be common in old houses. Infrasound was also used in the film 'Paranormal Activity' to make people feel uneasy subconsciously.

So far there has been not a single incidence of ghost activity over the course of human history that has been proven scientifically. So when stuff like the light happens, just think:

"Okay, so am I currently witnessing something that goes against all known laws of the universe and physics, or am I just projecting this fear onto something quite mundane like an electrical fault?"

And if ghosts are real:

- Where the hell are the dinosaur ghosts?!

Sources:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/mi...deception.html (A good watch!)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost#S...fic_skepticism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
    Science is good, and I'm strictly a science/engineering student.

But I've experienced the exorcism in action, Christians believe in exorcism and so do some other religons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)

5. If cameras can pick up ghost etc then why dont you see ghosts at football matches and stuff thats where I would be or ruining live tv.

I swear to god I felt my dead cat climb on top of my legs in bed one night. And think I sometimes hear her. Lol. I won't challenge anything else, thats it.

ReputationRep:
    Ghosts don't exist. Now stop being such a silly goose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Manic Mechanic)
    Science is good, and I'm strictly a science/engineering student.

But I've experienced the exorcism in action, Christians believe in exorcism and so do some other religons.
    People believe in a lot of things, it doesn't make it any more real or any more true.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you should so go to my great aunts massive house, they have a converted chapel there and short path down to some castle ruins with a moat around it (our family owns it).

My dog was constantly growling at the wall, I got into my bed, we didn't have duvets just like 6 or so thick sheets as it was cold, I heard something charge up the stairs, laugh, then slowly walk up to me (floorboards creaking) and scratches me through the sheets. (have a photo from the next morning of it too)

Also me and my stepbro went up to the castle and just saw random shadows moving in daylight and the dog growled again.

Constant feeling like you're being watched, and also when you're on your own you can hear laughing... :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    In our house we have a history of strange this happening, for the fifteen years we have lived there, all six of us (three now living in their own houses), have experienced and "seen" many "things".
    Now I won't go into every story, for the sake of looking idiotic or like a drama queen.

Nothing has been heard or seen for a couple of years now, we used to hear the computer keyboard being smashed around for hours at night and when we'd open the door, it would stop. Bearing in mind, this would happen in front of five or six of us, including visitors.

That has since stopped.

TONIGHT: Me, my step Dad and my Mother are sitting watching some film,- Die Hard I think.
    All of a sudden the main light of the room comes on,- it is switched off at the wall, and the cords are.
    The light stays on for a few minutes, I **** myself, and then it turns back off again.
    We hear no clicking sound, or anything.

Now loads of thing happened as I and my Sisters were growing up,- banging in rooms, chairs scraping when everyone is in bed, tv's turning on randomly, people apparently seeing things on the stairs (including my mother), doors being thrown wide open by thin air and most often the computer keyboard sounding like it's being typed on really harshly with the room empty. But nothing for a good few years.

What would you do about the above? Are we just paranoid?
    I mean, I am 100% not trolling here, I really don't think it's paranormal even with everything else which i've experienced here,- but what could have caused that?
    HAHAHAHAHA.

What a mug.

ReputationRep:
    This **** happens all the time. The earth is just a weird place that we don't really understand. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    When there's something strange,
    In the neighbourhood,
    Who you gonna call?
    The police, I would assume so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)

I don't really have any convictions regarding ghosts but even I feel I can answer these!

1. I think the idea is that its a spiritual representation of what they were, so clothing is part of that image. Your approach is a bit too literal..
    2. Not everything that has ever died still walks the earth - that whole unfinished business lark
    4. A lot of people who believe in ghosts, believe in heaven and hell - I think we'd all like to assume that if there is a hell, that Hitler is there!
    5. I think this refers back to 2, in that there aren't ghosts of everything that has ever died roaming everywhere. I mean if ghosts are around because of unfinished business then presumably haunting a football pitch is not a priority for a lot of spirits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morematterlessartx)
    I don't really have any convictions regarding ghosts but even I feel I can answer these!

1. I think the idea is that its a spiritual representation of what they were, so clothing is part of that image. Your approach is a bit too literal..
    2. Not everything that has ever died still walks the earth - that whole unfinished business lark
    4. A lot of people who believe in ghosts, believe in heaven and hell - I think we'd all like to assume that if there is a hell, that Hitler is there!
    5. I think this refers back to 2, in that there aren't ghosts of everything that has ever died roaming everywhere. I mean if ghosts are around because of unfinished business then presumably haunting a football pitch is not a priority for a lot of spirits...
    Im not accepting these answers

DENIED! LOL!:p:p

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.