Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police liable for shooting innocent victim?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    I am yes, although we haven't started Criminal Law yet.

When you join the police service you start off as an ordinary (unarmed) PC, and can apply for firearms training. Upon completion of the relevant tests (medical, fitness, psychological etc) you will be granted AFO status. This means that you are authorised to carry a firearm. Depending on the situation you may be armed with a Hechler and Koch MP5 sub machine gun, a Glock 17 9mm semi automatic pistol, or recently, a G36C carbine assault rifle.

Just because you're an AFO however, it doesn't mean you always carry your gun. You have to be authorised to do so by an "appropriate authorising officer" which is usually the Chief Inspector.

The use of firearms is outlined in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, and the Human Rights Act.

An interesting sidenote which you may want to mention in your essay for bonus marks is that several ex-SAS soldiers have came out and said that the training that AFOs receive is poor. This can be evidenced by various cases on the subject. I can't remember the exact name of the case but there was an instance where SEVEN police officers open fired on a solicitor who was brandishing a shotgun. Only FIVE hit their target.

Hope I've helped.
    you haven't started it yet? :eek: So have you not been given any coursework for other topics? So that's what the right to carry firearms is, (in more detail as you have put it of course). Have you not been given any coursework for public law ? thanks alot for this extra info, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamorgan)
    This is going to be fact-specific, but generally, it is not going to be murder. Think about the mens rea element of murder. If you could post the question, I will do my best, but it's been two years nearly since I did criminal!
    Lord Coke's definition is “the unlawful killing of a reasonable creature in being under the Queen’s Peace with malice aforethought express or implied".
    Mens rea=Express is the intention to kill and implied is the intention to cause grievous bodily harm or GBH. GBH is more serious I would have thought. I will PM you the ? Thanks alot mate much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetgyal24)
    you haven't started it yet? :eek: So have you not been given any coursework for other topics? So that's what the right to carry firearms is, (in more detail as you have put it of course). Have you not been given any coursework for public law ? thanks alot for this extra info, much appreciated

We've started Public Law, not Criminal

We've also had coursework for Contract, English Legal System, Lawyers' Skills, and Public. I've done 3/4, with Public due in on the 11/01.

ReputationRep:
    what universtiy is this for anyway?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.