Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel when meeting your gf/bf's parents the first time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No big deal. Why is everyone scared to meet them? They're just people.

ReputationRep:
    Nervous, naturally. I'm quite flippant in general life so I'm always worried I'm going to put my foot in it (e.g. walked in the door last weekend and said 'I'm just going to remove all my clothes' meaning get rid of coat, jumper, scarf etc. - her mum gave me rather a funny look!).

Fortunately they both like me, think I'm charming, handsome and a good influence.

Little do they know...:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    This has been somewhat disastrous. Her mom is one of those "I hate all men" type due to a succession of failed relationships.

Plans had to be turned around, we were supposed to drive to her mom's, but with all the icy roads decided to get her to come on the train instead. She's been moaning non-stop the day she got into the car.

Conversations, almost always I sense she is attacking me over something or else it becomes a yes/no answer type thing.

I excuse myself from cooking the xmas dinner so both mom + daughter can do something together, she starts attacking me of being a lazy bum.

I decide to hide in our bedroom to do my reading so mom + daughter can catch up, she starts asking my gf if I felt I am too good to be around.

Since our place is only 2 bedrooms and 1 of it is the room my gf and me sleep in and the other is a spare room that is kept as a guest room or sometimes my gf's 3 year old daughter sleeps there. Since I thought it would be rather crowded and decided to let them spend time without me being in the way, I told them I was going to check into a hotel, then again her mom starts out the usual "oh show off" and the oh are you feeling too good to be around. I ignored it and after dinner was cleared up, I took the keys to the car and made my way out, my gf got ticked off and prevented me from leaving.

Each time my gf tells me to do something I notice her mom throwing one wicked smile or grin.

Then came the xmas presents issue, I gave my gf something she wanted. Then I had full set collection of piggy banks for her daughter. The background to this is I have a game going on with her that each time she lives with us and she finds any money laying around she should put it into the piggy bank which I had bought for her earlier. It's a fun game we play all the time. What the ***** does? She starts opening her big fat dirty smelly mouth to say its obvious I only liked the mommy but not her.

Finally she had to open her mouth to almost ruin the xmas dinner, I had 2 overseas students who are close friends of mine come join our dinner since they were stuck and couldn't go home. She never bothered to say hi and just snubbed the 2 of them when they wished her. Then at the dinner table she started again that the dinner was supposed to be a family only event. Ignoring her rants, I asked my 2 guest in the language they spoke that I also knew to help themselves to the food and to do me a favour and just ignore that lady for my sake. Again she started her ranting. Then for no reason at all she started asking my gf whether she preferred the xmas here or back home. My gf said a change is nice. Somehow or rather that got her mom all riled up.

Now my gf and her mom are having a go at each other and I could think of a hundred different places I much rather be.

ReputationRep:
    Her mum/aunties/sisters/uncles/grandparents get on with me just fine. Have not met the dad and will not be planning on meeting the dad any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I've never met the parents of any of my girlfriends.

ReputationRep:
    generally pretty pissed off they came home early!
    a lil bit embarrassed, but at the same time slightly proud

ReputationRep:
    Nothing can be worse than the time I met my ex's mam.
    Ex's mam: "So, where do you work?"
    Me: "I don't, I'm still in school."
    *awkward silence*
    I should make it clear I was 16 at the time, nothing illegal was going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Nothing can be worse than the time I met my ex's mam.
    Ex's mam: "So, where do you work?"
    Me: "I don't, I'm still in school."
    *awkward silence*
    I should make it clear I was 16 at the time, nothing illegal was going on.
    Ha! How old did she think you was? How old was he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    Ha! How old did she think you was? How old was he?
    He was 19, nearly 20, and I think she thought I was 14 or 15.

ReputationRep:
    I've never found it scary. I suppose if you meet someone at uni it's different, when I met my gf we were both in college so we thought nothing of hanging out at each others houses when we didn't have anything else to do.

Big difference between seeing parents when you're watching a film at her place, and 'meeting her parents'.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I really wasn't nervous when I met my boyfriend's parents. I knew they would like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    You may try to make conversation - but again, don't overdo it.

Like everyone else here said: smile, be polite, remain calm.
    You can make as much conversation as you want, as long as it's interesting.

Just be nice, with good manners etc... talk when they talk to you (ie don't give one word answers all the time) and try and get to know them a bit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.