Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by King of Fools)
      totally, 'history boys' and 'an education' (both excellent films though predictably depressing in the fact that the protagonists get offers while we don't)

gap year? might as well attend imperial for the time being right? I sent an e-mail to oxford and they told me our apps would be treated like any other even if we're already starting year 1 at a different uni. sides a year in london is never wasted :P
      Lol, I think I love you for wanting to go to Oxford because of its film credits. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MISSION!! (no sarcy)

ReputationRep:
      go for it........
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Got rejected, but I really want to try again. Would it be possible to start at another uni and then apply while I'm there, so if I get rejected then I can still stay on and if I get accepted I'll just be repeating my first year? Also, would I have to declare this on UCAS, even if I send it off before I've started the course?

ReputationRep:
      I don't think you have to tell the uni if you've not started the course.
      Do what you want.

ReputationRep:
      oh and i did put my other uni on my ucas but its not compulsory to do so.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dothesnowdome)
      oh and i did put my other uni on my ucas but its not compulsory to do so.
      Thank you very much for the advice!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sangin Know)
      Well I considered Cambridge, but I havent been through the interview process so I thought it might be safer to reapply to Oxford again as I've been through it. And I loved the three days being there and I really enjoyed the interviews but just didnt get an offer... T.T
      Did you say 'shadowing lectures??' (or something like that?) What do you mean? I've got a friend who reapplied for Maths and got in the second time. Well, it wasnt straight maths though it was maths with phil.
      Hi, I applied for Maths and Philosophy at Magdalen College. I was predicted 43 IB points, I had a pretty strong personal statement, and I think I did alright on the MAT. Got rejected, without an interview. However, I am reapplying again next year... I would be very grateful if you could put me in touch with your friend.
      Thanks!
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Do you have to declare on UCAS / to Oxford that your already an undergrad?
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Noodlzzz)
      Do you have to declare on UCAS / to Oxford that your already an undergrad?
      Well, the UCAS website states you have to enter 'details of all of the schools, colleges and universities that you've attended' and 'all qualifications for which you are currently studying or awaiting results', so I'd say that's a yes.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hobnob)
      Well, the UCAS website states you have to enter 'details of all of the schools, colleges and universities that you've attended' and 'all qualifications for which you are currently studying or awaiting results', so I'd say that's a yes.
      But if I apply before I start the course, would that still be required? And would I be in a worse / better situation for doing so? Sorry for all the questions, currently in a bit of a turmoil of my future atm
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      But if I apply before I start the course, would that still be required?
      Well, I suppose if you apply before you've actually matriculated, you wouldn't technically be obliged to mention it, but it still seems a bit like cheating, no?:dontknow:
      And would I be in a worse / better situation for doing so?
      I have no idea, to be honest... My guess would be that they probably don't approve of people jumping ship in principle, but if they get the chance to poach an exceptionally good student that way, they'll still seize it. So I don't imagine they'll be using this as a criterion for deselection before interviews. Beyond that, though, who knows?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oxfordlf)
      Hi, I applied for Maths and Philosophy at Magdalen College. I was predicted 43 IB points, I had a pretty strong personal statement, and I think I did alright on the MAT. Got rejected, without an interview. However, I am reapplying again next year... I would be very grateful if you could put me in touch with your friend.
      Thanks!
      If you were rejected before interview, it would seem you didn't do alright on the MAT. You (or rather your referee) could email the college and ask for detailed feedback on your application.

But if I apply before I start the course, would that still be required? And would I be in a worse / better situation for doing so? Sorry for all the questions, currently in a bit of a turmoil of my future atm
      Your UCAS details have to be up to date. If you started a university course after sending your form off, much like if you were to take up another A level, I'd have thought you would be obliged to let Oxford know. At any rate, they'll probably want to know what you're doing with yourself, since it will be clear that you're not at school any more.

ReputationRep:
      Carry on at Imperial.

ReputationRep:
      This is no where near a decision you need to take now.

There's nothing wrong with going to Imperial and then making a perhaps speculative application to Oxford in the first month. You can always not go if you like Imperial etc.

But seriously, don't worry about it now. You are in the reaction stage of your rejection, so let it simmer down and see what you think of Imperial.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.