Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In every offer letter I've received so far (not Oxbridge unfortunately, or at least not yet ) the wording is "we (the departement/college/admissions team) are to recommend that the University makes you the following offer"

They all do make the offer on the letter, but I found it a bit weird that all 4 letters were phrased in this way. So it probably is so for a reason - to stop it becoming legally binding.

I can only imagine that Oxbridge letters will say the same.

Of course, once it's on UCAS it's binding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    In every offer letter I've received so far (not Oxbridge unfortunately, or at least not yet ) the wording is "we (the departement/college/admissions team) are to recommend that the University makes you the following offer"

They all do make the offer on the letter, but I found it a bit weird that all 4 letters were phrased in this way. So it probably is so for a reason - to stop it becoming legally binding.

I can only imagine that Oxbridge letters will say the same.

Of course, once it's on UCAS it's binding.
    Why would the offer on UCAS be binding? Quite ignoring the fact that it's only electronic, the wording UCAS chooses is hardly definite ("We have been asked by the University of What-Have-You-Upon-Thames" and so on)...

Neither of my two offer letters included that wording, by the way.

My letter from Oxford is signed by the Tutor for Admissions of Mansfield college, and begins with:
    I am very pleased, on behalf of Mansfield College, to offer you an unconditional place for admission in October 2011 to read Physics, a 4-year course.
    Sounds pretty definite to me.

Manchester also sounds rather definite, my letter was sent in the name of somebody in the "Student Recruitment, Admissions and International Development Division", with a printed-on signature. It reads:
    I am delighted to make you an unconditional offer of a place on the above course.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is scaring me ... I got an offer in late December by letter (which was signed by the college principal) ... Ahhhhhhhhh please don't be a mistake! If not, I'll just lay on the whole "I'm your problem now" thing
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake people: unless you have a very good reason to doubt your offer/rejection, you should assume it's correct. It's like living in fear that your mum lied when she said the sky is blue when you were younger, even though you've got no reason to suspect that the sky is, in fact, green!

Life is too short to waste time doubting things for no good reason! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Life is too short to waste time doubting things for no good reason! :yes:
    The New Cartesians will come and see to you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    The New Cartesians will come and see to you.
    I've no idea what that means but I'm not sure I like the sound of that :ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.