Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone like the Hollister shops? Watch

ReputationRep:
    One thing I don't understand is just people's general unimaginativeness; several people I've spoken to have bought stuff from there just because it's seen as "cool", even if they're not that keen on the pair of jogging bottoms they've just bought for £50. Fair enough if you like it, but it's been so over hyped, and as someone earlier pointed out, children younger than 10 are worried as to whether or not they're going to get their Hollister t-shirt. . . which I don't think is a positive message.

(Original post by Lucyyy)
    I've never actually been in to Hollister, but they opened a store in Norwich about 3 weeks ago.. and people still queue from both sides to get in. There's barriers up to keep the lines in order. Seriously, is it that great? I've looked online and the stuff is okay and the prices aren't too ridiculous, but it all just seems a little pretentious by the looks and sound of things.
    It's really not. I've been to the one in Westfield in London (dragged in by my younger sister) and it was ridiculous. I refuse to go into the one in Norwich, complete waste of time being in there let alone queueing up. I arrived back home from uni a couple of weeks ago also to see we have a Jack Wills too in Norwich. . . :n:

My sister's boyfriend works at the new Hollister too, and even she's admitted that all the male workers look exactly the same, the standard sweepy hair, tan skin etc. :rolleyes: . . .

ReputationRep:
    I like the clothes, but hate the stores. unfortunately, it's so much cheaper to go in there than get it delivered for a rip off of £20!

ReputationRep:
    yes love them!

ReputationRep:
    Hollister is a more mans Abercrombie or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Not seen one around the notts area lol. Might have to check it out though if only for these half naked men :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Well the girls are all aspiring models there, for some reason I don't get why even in my local town where I know everyone, the hollister girls, I have never met before. Weird. Maybe they ship them in from abroad.

It's taken hold here this past 18 months and now every 16-19 year old is wearing a hollister t-shirt. Hollister slacks (my god he actually spent £50 on those) and sporting a bad hairstyle such as the models all over the walls of the shop, only not as good.

It's the ultimate retail tactic against the middle-class ***** kids I have come to resent after spending 20 years beign amongst them, cos you know, I am one.

It is a good thing now because before I used to have to listen to a c*nt before I knew he/she was ****, now the ''hollister'' logo is like a huge flag saying ''c*nt'' in a bar, so now before I get in a conversation with one, I know right away not to pay any attention to them.

And the shop, it's so dark I don't know what colour I am buying, and the albums they sell? Dear god they have marketed that to these *****? Just look at the albums they sell, dear god I might cry. Anyone every bought one? ACtually paying 50% extra because it's from a hollister shop? I bet that makes the music good, but no worries, at least you can put it in your car and pretend you're cool some more.

Anywhoo, it's a shop for pretenders and posers who used to wear river island and topman, but now went a bit more exotic and now pretend they are surfers.

I work for a real surfer's brand, cos you know I am actually into those sports. Hollister on the other hand, it's for mid-pubescent guys who need the **** attitude smacked out of them that only dress and do those sports to try and impress girls such as the ones that work in that shop. They sport half patchy grizzle and unproportionate bodies, either because of the puberty, the masturbation or the simple bicep workouts they do everyday to try and look better in their £30 t-shirts.

I hope they enjoy being ***** and wondering where the best years of their life went. I myself although socially challened at the best of times can get the affection of a girl without making penis jokes and acting like a c*unt.

So yea, I don't shop at hollister anymore.
    I got a top from there the other thinking it was blue, only realised it was brown on the way home.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been in a Hollister, but if it's anything like A&F, it's hell on earth. It's too dark and everything is too high up for me to reach, so I have to ask a tall pretty girl to get it down for me and I just feel silly. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Too dark to shop in their Brent Cross branch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like it at first but now I don't mind it, I'm considering buying some jeans from there with my Christmas money, I really like the Gilly Hicks store that's just opened in Westfield though.

ReputationRep:
    Just been to the newish one in Norwich...the decor and stuff is nice and I love the exterior, but its way too dark and cramped in there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armageddonbride)
    Just been to the newish one in Norwich...the decor and stuff is nice and I love the exterior, but its way too dark and cramped in there!
    I was in there today and also found it too dark- it was a nightmare to see the prices and sizes. Got some really good shirts/hoodies though and the girls that work there are really attractive

ReputationRep:
    I'd like it if i was a superficial racist, but i'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously I don't see why so many people love Hollister so much. I mean £15 for a t-shirt that probably cost less than half of that to make and just says "HOLLISTER" on it is a rip-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I'm supposed to be writing a Lab Report right now but I'd prefer to post pointless threads on TSR.

I went shopping a few days ago and this was the first time I'd ever been into a Hollister store (Bristol). I've been looking for some new jeans and my flatmate was raving about Hollister so I had a look on the website and found some that I quite liked. I sashayed into said store avec younger sister (who loves Hollister) was not particularly impressed. Seriously, why is it so dark in there? It was like being in the reptile house at the Zoo. Do they not want you to be able to see the clothes or something? The decor is really tacky, especially the outside of the store. The music was also really loud, I couldn't hear a word my sister or the dressing room assistants were saying. I had a pounding headache within five minutes of being in the store.

I thought that some of the clothes were quite nice and I liked the jeans and am considering buying them on-line. The prices are reasonable, albeit at the high end of what I would pay for most items.

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up. I wanted to try on the smaller size, but my sister had buggered off and the assistant ignored me as she was talking to another assistant, so I went and got them without putting my shoes back on. I know this is abnormal behaviour in a store but I didn't really care at the time, I do it in other shops. The assistant looked horrified when I returned and she let me back in the changing room.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:
    Hollister is owned by A&F...

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine got a job at the one in Glasgow recently. From what they said at her interview, you are pretty much paid to model.

And sprout of cheesy catchlines in a faux-American accent. Sounds like a bit of a cushy job XD

ReputationRep:
    No, I always get a bad vibe in those shops.

I like the male models that stand outside though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Hollister is owned by A&F...
    Yeah, we established that about.. 9 days ago. I didn't realise this thread was still active

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I'm supposed to be writing a Lab Report right now but I'd prefer to post pointless threads on TSR.

I went shopping a few days ago and this was the first time I'd ever been into a Hollister store (Bristol). I've been looking for some new jeans and my flatmate was raving about Hollister so I had a look on the website and found some that I quite liked. I sashayed into said store avec younger sister (who loves Hollister) was not particularly impressed. Seriously, why is it so dark in there? It was like being in the reptile house at the Zoo. Do they not want you to be able to see the clothes or something? The decor is really tacky, especially the outside of the store. The music was also really loud, I couldn't hear a word my sister or the dressing room assistants were saying. I had a pounding headache within five minutes of being in the store.

I thought that some of the clothes were quite nice and I liked the jeans and am considering buying them on-line. The prices are reasonable, albeit at the high end of what I would pay for most items.

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up. I wanted to try on the smaller size, but my sister had buggered off and the assistant ignored me as she was talking to another assistant, so I went and got them without putting my shoes back on. I know this is abnormal behaviour in a store but I didn't really care at the time, I do it in other shops. The assistant looked horrified when I returned and she let me back in the changing room.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:
    I know alot of the people who work in Hollister Bristol & yes, most of them are quite stuck up. Especially the girls. I think it is because they are carefully selected on the basis of their looks. In fact, I'm pretty sur I know the girl you are on about from the changing room, she is a stuck up cow.

Yes, the lighting really annoys me too. We were discussing this the other day. They must think the clohes look crap if the dim the lighting that much. --'

ReputationRep:
    I went into Hollister to buy a friend a gift voucher and also to apply for a job.

I couldn't hear anything the girl on tills was saying due to the music being so bloody loud, the perfume made me sneeze and I couldn't even see what colour the clothes were because it was so bloody dark.

Besides that all the sales assistants really done was stand around and look like spare parts. Needless to say I did not apply for a job there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky-x)
    I've never been in a Gilly Hicks store, what is it like? I can imagine previous advocates of Hollister (people who wore the stuff from America before it came mainstream over here) moving away from Hollister and shopping there instead. And before you know it Gilly Hicks will be everywhere too!
    It's actually quite nice, it's not as crowded or overpowering as Hollister and Abercrombie can be, a lot of people don't seem to know about it yet so it's worth a visit before everyone starts going there!

As for the clothes, obviously it's quite similar to Abercrombie and Hollister, probably more Abercrombie-like though, the prices are roughly the same as Hollister.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.