Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabdullah8)
    I watched the first 45min at that pointed, I concluded it wasnt movie for me..
    You've still not seen the film, if someone asked me if I saw that Mona Lisa over in the louvre, and I said I saw less than half of it and concluded it was not for me it wouldn't really be a valid judgment would it? And if I went around calling the Mona Lisa crap after seeing less than half of it, I'd probably be a bit of an idiot

just sayin...

On another note I saw Aronofsky's first film Pi yesterday, very impressed, especially considering that the film cost $60,000 to make, he's a talented director

(Original post by Peachykeen09)
    wash your mouth out with soap :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

wash your mouth out with soap :mad:
    It's only a joke

ReputationRep:
    Probably win Best Picture Oscar, thought it was the best film of the year BY FAR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    It's only a joke
    your always come across ***** like him..

ReputationRep:
    Just watched it, SO good. I mean, don't see it if you want a pretty movie about ballet or anything...

(Original post by a_t)
    Its barely some sort of sex romp though, it is a piece of art, I hope its rated 18 so there's not a load of horny teenagers in there hoping to see some flesh
    Ugh yeah, so glad I didn't wait to see it in the cinema and have had to sit behind some 13 year-old creaming himself because he thinks Natalie Portman's actually touching herself <_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabdullah8)
    your always come across ***** like him..
    lol, u mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Have people seen this yet?

I saw it last night, WOW what a film! This is by a mile the best film of the year for me, it is absolutely jaw dropping and outstanding, and a magnificent piece of true woman's cinema. And I'm not even into ballet, however although a lot of the critical reaction to it has been positive I have noticed that in the reviews it is somewhat polarizing, either one loves it or hates it.

Looking forward to seeing it projected when it gets its cinematic release on the 21st of January
    For a minute there I thought this was a reference to Curb Your Enthusiasm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Have people seen this yet?

I saw it last night, WOW what a film! This is by a mile the best film of the year for me, it is absolutely jaw dropping and outstanding, and a magnificent piece of true woman's cinema. And I'm not even into ballet, however although a lot of the critical reaction to it has been positive I have noticed that in the reviews it is somewhat polarizing, either one loves it or hates it.

Looking forward to seeing it projected when it gets its cinematic release on the 21st of January
    I want to see this, but I'm not a big fan or Ms Portman. I wouldn't say it was the best film of the year. It would be inception for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    I want to see this, but I'm not a big fan or Ms Portman. I wouldn't say it was the best film of the year. It would be inception for me.
    lol well obviously since you've not seen it, I wouldn't call a film I haven't seen the best film of the year either, Inception was good though, especially in IMAX

(Original post by naomidawn)
    For a minute there I thought this was a reference to Curb Your Enthusiasm...
    I do watch a lot of curb...

:mmm:

I've told this joke to everyone I know....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I do watch a lot of curb...

:mmm:

I've told this joke to everyone I know....
    You cannae not laugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol well obviously since you've not seen it, I wouldn't call a film I haven't seen the best film of the year either, Inception was good though, especially in IMAX.
    True lol

ReputationRep:
    what was the point of that film seriously? I didn't even know if she really died or not.

ReputationRep:
    Visually one of the best movies I have seen, I was literally on the edge of my bed watching it on my laptop.Seriously, I was questioning whether or not I was Bi when watching Mila and Natalie. Natalie pulled this one out of bag;her best performance, I never knew she had it in her tbh, but she surprised me, well done portman good for you and kudos.This could not if definite compete with inception.If she is not a nominee for best actress performance for Oscars...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    what was the point of that film seriously? I didn't even know if she really died or not.
    It's a continuation of one of Aronofsky's main topics throughout films such as Pi and The Wrestler, about the divide between one's working life and one's personal life, and how one can infect and overtake the other. The pitfalls of excess in this form, pressures from the outside as seen in her relationship with her mother, and the rigours of trying to be perfect, duality, rivalry etc etc

And the central story of the film itself obviously mirrors Swan Lake with Portman being the White Swan and Mila being the temptress for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    *spoiler*
    FFS, edit your post. I haven't seen it yet and I'm really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Black Swan for me really proved that Darren Aronofsky is one of the greatest directors to prop up in the last decade or so. I'm really interested to see what he comes up with for the Wolverine movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    Black Swan for me really proved that Darren Aronofsky is one of the greatest directors to prop up in the last decade or so. I'm really interested to see what he comes up with for the Wolverine movie.
    lol wtf is this happening?

ReputationRep:
    It's a fantastic film. I'm not usually interested in 'dark psychological thrillers' (if you could call it that) but this film is a truly beautiful piece of work, and Natalie Portman's best performance to date - she deserves the Oscar, and at the very least a nomination.
    To answer a question above without giving too much away, a lot of what happens occurs in her mind, because she loses herself in her desire to let go (and become the Black Swan), until the end when you finally realise what has actually happened.
    And yes, there's a sex scene but it certainly isn't a gratuitous boner dyke scene!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol wtf is this happening?
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430132/)
    Apparently it wont be a sequel to Origins but instead a one off stand alone, which will be interesting as Hugh Jackman is still playing Wolverine. I think the story is based on Wolverine travelling to and training in Japan as a Samurai. It's also meant to be scripted by the same writer that wrote The Usual Suspects.
    It seems to be totally different from anything Darren's done so far and I personally can't wait to see his angle on it and what he produces. It's rumoured to be rated R/18 so I'm hoping he really explores the darker side of Wolverine and his fragility, like he does with most of the lead roles in his movies.
    Part of me is scared it will end up being a disaster but his track record would say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430132/)
    Apparently it wont be a sequel to Origins but instead a one off stand alone, which will be interesting as Hugh Jackman is still playing Wolverine. I think the story is based on Wolverine travelling to and training in Japan as a Samurai. It's also meant to be scripted by the same writer that wrote The Usual Suspects.
    It seems to be totally different from anything Darren's done so far and I personally can't wait to see his angle on it and what he produces. It's rumoured to be rated R/18 so I'm hoping he really explores the darker side of Wolverine and his fragility, like he does with most of the lead roles in his movies.
    Part of me is scared it will end up being a disaster but his track record would say otherwise.
    It sounds like a good idea in it's own right, but I can't disassociate it at the moment from the other X-Men films...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.