Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most people about Python being lovely and C being a good choice too.

Lua is an interesting one. It's about as fast as java but takes a completely different and very dynamic approach to programming. Its source code is also relatively short at maybe 20,000 lines or so of C, which is pretty impressive.

Maybe you could download the source code and use it as an example of a real C project while you're learning C.

Anyway have fun!

ReputationRep:
    One of the best languages in the world!! SPL

http://shakespearelang.sourceforge.n...akespeare.html

(Original post by paper-wings)
      Hey guys,

I am currently on my gap year, so I have a bit of free time, and I would like to learn another programming language, for fun and also to keep my brain active before I go to uni to do Maths and CS in Sept 11.

I currently know: VB.NET (the shame! ), PHP, XHTML/CSS, Javascript and I have done a tiny bit of python. I am pretty good in all of the above, I can make decent programs (I am best in VB.NET just because it was the language my college taught)

I'm just looking for something to enjoy really, and something that will help me in my degree next year, I think we learn C, Java, Haskell.

Any ideas? I did think of Python, but does anyone else have any suggestions?
      Get a Linux box and learn Go. www.golang.org

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wactm)
      My dad is a proffesional developer and nowadays i think he just hires the devs and manages stuff. As far as he is concerned a scripting language (php/perl/python) is way more useful than C.

And you say your good at php? Make something amazing then package it and sell it.
      It really depends on what you're doing. Scripting languages are great for prototyping modules or writing short programs. They can be harder to use well for bigger applications. At that point something like Java, C, C++ can be much better.

For larger web sites scripting languages like PHP can be used but they tend to require a lot of thought as to how they're going to be used. Especially in terms of how are you going to maintain it after a few years. A more structured language might be better (Java through JSP).

Personally I've only really written webapps in php and am now stuck with maintaining something I wrote several years ago.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.