Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the advice, all! I found it particularly interesting hearing what's been said about employment prospects, but strangely I think it's more a matter of my own pride, over what employers think - I'd just like to be able to say that I went to Oxford, I suppose.
    However, I suppose that this isn't worth the extra £24,000 I'd pay in fees.

I'll still wait and see what my 'feedback' from the college/faculty says, and if necessary, if they are too vague, I could always write to the admissions office and try and get some more specific information back from them. At the very least I'd want my PAT score back. Oh, and to those of you asking how the PAT went - it was a mixed bag.
    I felt it went okay, but then after days of evaluating it in my head, I began to realise many silly little mistakes I'd made. I feel that if it was the PAT that had let me down, it would definitely be something I can reconcile. But, as I've said, I'm not sure whether all this fuss is worth paying the extra fees, and having an entire year out. It's a bloody long time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/?o=8285

This link is amazing for seeing what employers think of Oxford students, and says that 50% (out of 300 top employers) think Oxford students are as likely or less likely than other students to have the main 'employability skills'.

So that means 150 think Oxford students might be better, but 150 think they might be worse, or no better. I don't have stats for any other top unis, but Oxford clearly isn't the be all and end all for job recruiters.

From my own experience with law firms, they really couldn't care less that I went to Oxford, and in fact sometimes graduate recruitment people can be quite 'iffy' about it because they think you're going to be really stuck up.
    But the ones thinking OU grads are less likely to have those skills were only a few percent, compared to the ~50% that thought they are more or much more likely to have them, so it doesn't really say anything. It would - as you said - be interesting to see statistics for other top universities. More relevant is your experience, which indicate they are equally good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstractineum)
    But the ones thinking OU grads are less likely to have those skills were only a few percent, compared to the ~50% that thought they are more or much more likely to have them, so it doesn't really say anything. It would - as you said - be interesting to see statistics for other top universities. More relevant is your experience, which indicate they are equally good.
    Yeh, but there are still 40-50% who think OU grads are the same as any others.

I think really it only says a lot if you start from the point of view that going to Oxbridge means you can just waltz into a six figure salary job once you graduate which is what the OP (and lots of other people) seem to think. Obvs that would happen though if we didn't all have such crappy team working skills

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.