Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you.

Me and my sister have just spent three days in Birmingham airport trying to get home to Switzerland; supposed to fly Saturday lunchtime, flight cancelled, rebooked for evening flight which was cancelled again, left to queue for about three hours (and we were fairly near the front of the queue) before being rebooked for yesterday evening, and then had to stand out in the cold for more than an hour before we got shoved into a bus to a hotel without being told what was happening or where we were going (got to desk to rebook flights again and woman just went 'stand over there' and a while later a guy just turned up with a 'let's go then...' It felt like traficking in reverse; we only kept sane because we were laughing our heads off of the idea that we might end up in Eastern Europe :rofl:).

Then at the hotel we had clearly been put in the crappiest rooms (sound of traffic, the lifts and people making a lot of noise meant I got 3-4 hours sleep maximum) and the food on offer was an indian buffet that was so spicy it just wasn't edible-should have organised our own dinner but it was about half nine by this point so I don't think they'd have been serving for much longer. We then had to check out the next day and hang around the airport all day for another night of accomodation to be arranged-which by half past four it hadn't been, so in the end my wonderful dad booked us into a nice hotel (which he will be trying to claim back from Swiss). I think that is the only thing that saved us both from bursting into tears; that we actually got one good night's sleep and had some proper food Sunday night.

By the time we got our flight yesterday we'd basically been at the airport for three days. The guy at the check in desk seemed astounded we were still there; when he saw us he went 'it's you again!' Then our flight was delayed for two hours; but I have to say 'delayed' has become a rather positive word to me over the last few days that simply means 'not cancelled'.

And the most annoying thing? Listening to people whinging about how they've been at the airport since that morning...:rolleyes:

I think I'm traumatised, I'm now having nightmares about being stuck in an airport.

If you can get together with your mates, definitely do try and do that, if not and you can afford to splash out, book yourself into a nice hotel for a night or two and have a nice restaurant meal for Christmas dinner. If you can't do that, at least find somewhere half decent to have Christmas lunch and try and enjoy yourself. Just hold onto the fact that you'll be home soon after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I'm sure there are ways to get back if you really want to... can help if you want? Probably won't be cheap though.
    Believe me I've looked - it is possible but only if I'm willing to cough up over 2K on top of the flight I've already paid for.

Anyway, merry Christmas everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Go to sleep wearing a really lame hat and have a dream that changes your perspective on Christmas and generosity with the help of 3 festive ghosts.

(Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Come to mine, my family wont mind lol
    Encouraging someone to come and visit Milton Keynes is like encouraging someone to visit Hiroshima right after it had been bombed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coca)
    At least you have a family. Some people have no one.
    I appreciate what you're saying and I consider myself very lucky. However, I haven't seen my parents, brother (and most importantly my dogs!) in over 6 months and was really looking forward to having a proper family Christmas. I'm sure there are thousands of people like me who are in a similar situation and I think BAA have a lot to answer for. It's unacceptable in my view that the worlds busiest airport can be closed because of a bit of snow and ice, and the way passengers have been treated who have been stuck in terminals has been atrocious.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably volunteer at a shelter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Believe me I've looked - it is possible but only if I'm willing to cough up over 2K on top of the flight I've already paid for.

Anyway, merry Christmas everyone.
    http://www.kayak.co.uk/r/NVy4GM
    http://www.kayak.co.uk/r/MYJQmW

??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmlasvegas58)
    STOP Putting everyone down with your sarcastic comments and get a life
    What are you talking about?
    What else can he do apart from volunteer or go stay at a friends?
    It was not a sarcastic comment, just plain stupidity on your part.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that, I was using sky scanner which was quoting me insane prices. Going to try and cancel my BA booking and get on a Gulf Air flight instead on Xmas eve, hopefully will be able to make it!

ReputationRep:
    Watch all the Bond films in chronological order

ReputationRep:
    Make yourself merry through drinking lots, taking drugs and masturbating.

ReputationRep:
    sales start a day earlier online. retail therapy!

Due to a combination of freezing weather and monumental incompetence on the part of BAA I am now faced with the prospect of spending Christmas day on my own (flight out of LHR cancelled, next earliest available one is Boxing Day).

I am in London, but not sure what to do with myself so please give me your suggestions (preferably something that doesn't involve me with a bottle whiskey, hurling cynical abuse out of the window at innocent passers by which is as far as I've got with my current plans).

Ta.
    *Rent a car and drive 'round the country with 80s music blasting.
    *Go into a pub and get absolutely wasted.
    *Volunteer at some shelter or whatever.
    *Stay in your hotel and masturbate.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that, I was using sky scanner which was quoting me insane prices. Going to try and cancel my BA booking and get on a Gulf Air flight instead on Xmas eve, hopefully will be able to make it!
    Check the following:

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/
    http://www.statravel.co.uk/

too...

ReputationRep:
    Stay at the airport, get yourself on BBC/Sky News on Christmas morning, make a sob story on how you have to stay there over Christmas, how much you miss your family, etc, try to cry fake tears and have them roll down your cheeks for extra bonus points. Sell your story to magazines and make a few bob. Claim your 15 minutes of fame.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd try and find a pub and get drunk as a monkey.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can search for venues open for the public on xmas day and see if you can meet some people there and have a hot meal. Better than sitting at home all by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Go to sleep wearing a really lame hat and have a dream that changes your perspective on Christmas and generosity with the help of 3 festive ghosts.

Encouraging someone to come and visit Milton Keynes is like encouraging someone to visit Hiroshima right after it had been bombed.
    These things you say are true, not gonna lie. But hey, kick me while I'm down lol

ReputationRep:
    If i was you I'd take advantage and work on christmas day, you'd get like double the money! I did it last year and made about £130 just for christmas day alone

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get a train to another airport, and fly from there?

ReputationRep:
    Get loads of films in, lots of Christmassy foods, an xbox/playstation game, smoke a fatty, have a fap, see how quickly you can drink 4 bottles of champagne, then put some Christmas carols on and dance around singing at full volume.

That is my ideal Christmas.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.