Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the chances of this seriously? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    Lacto-kinesis!! xD
    The ability to move milk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    You inherited Paul the Octopus's psychic powers. Congratulations.
    And look what happened to him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    LIFE MUST BE SO HARD FOR YOU.

Get to a bookies, you either make lots of money and enjoy yourself, or lose lots of money and ditch the silly idea you're psychic.
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHA YESSS DO THAT! also tell them you're paul the octopus' long lost relative, video tape reactions please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillycat)
    are you out of misfts by any chance??
    Do you really think I have time to watch some daft programme when I could be saving the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    The ability to move milk?
    Misfits?

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean that you could be an I Spy pro? If so, I spy with my little eye something beginning with B...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Okay well I always get these hunches on certain things such as sports results and alot of the time I am right, even with really bizarre results. I also seem to be able to predict alot of random stuff too, which can be about anything.

Anyway as one good example of me 'predicting/estimating' something I was just drinking a 2 litre bottle of milk and just as I went to pour the last amount in the bottle into a cup, a thought came into my head that it would fill the cup exactly.
    Now the cup I am using isn't a regular cup I normally use and it is very wide and cone shaped and when I poured the milk it filled the cup exactly, right to the very brim. One more drop of milk and it would have over-flowed.
    It's to complete perfection, and I find this somewhat worrying. I get alot of these kind of thoughts that are almost always correct, on random things. I normally forget them quickly, but I may start noting them down in this thread lol.

I am always either really lucky or really unlucky as well. Even other people have picked up on me being really lucky even when I was younger. I just wana be normal dammit.

Edit: I knew someone would neg me and I sense an overwhelming amount of jealous folk

Edit 2: I am often good at guessing the time to the minute especially with digital clocks. And it's always certain times I can predict. Yeh.... I guess I won't be needing my rolex soon.
    Did someone say 'confirmation bias'?

If you really do have amazing hunches on, say, sports results, it is fairly trivial to make an awful lot of money betting on them. If, on the other hand, you only think you do...you'll probably not make any money at all. And if you find that you can justify it with 'oh, I just had an extreme unlucky streak, I will have a winning streak soon, this phenomenon really does exist', then nobody will listen to you because you'll be speaking tosh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    Did someone say 'confirmation bias'?

If you really do have amazing hunches on, say, sports results, it is fairly trivial to make an awful lot of money betting on them. If, on the other hand, you only think you do...you'll probably not make any money at all. And if you find that you can justify it with 'oh, I just had an extreme unlucky streak, I will have a winning streak soon, this phenomenon really does exist', then nobody will listen to you because you'll be speaking tosh
    I have won fair amounts in the past, but don't have alot of money to play with. It's usually on important stuff that I win. But also even if I don't win on something I get really close. Sometimes I just get a very positive feeling rather than a specific result for instance, but then I bet on them winning and they lose, but I do often get a hunch for a specific result.

ReputationRep:
    I have won fair amounts in the past, but don't have alot of money to play with. It's usually on important stuff that I win. But also even if I don't win on something I get really close. Sometimes I just get a very positive feeling rather than a specific result for instance, but then I bet on them winning and they lose, but I do often get a hunch for a specific result.
    Did someone just say 'confirmation bias'? Again...

Are you serious? Sometimes you get a very positive feeling, but this doesn't relate to how well they actually do? Maybe you just get positive feelings a lot, maybe you just like gambling and it makes you feel good, it seems a strange (and egotistical) leap to jump from there to 'I have psychic powers'.

'Even if I don't win on something I get really close' is a classic example of confirmation bias effects. If you get it completely wrong, your mind classes it as unusual. If you get it right, you congratulate yourself on your predictive abilities. If you get close, you congratulate yourself on your predictive abilities, must have just interpreted them slightly wrong. If you get a little further away, you forget about it entirely.

You might say at this point 'no I don't', but one of the problems with this effect is that you wouldn't actually know. It's easy to test, though, if you want to be objective about it. Embarking on a controlled set of sports bets would probably be one way.

ReputationRep:
    Okay well I always get these hunches on certain things such as sports results and alot of the time I am right, even with really bizarre results. I also seem to be able to predict alot of random stuff too, which can be about anything.

Anyway as one good example of me 'predicting/estimating' something I was just drinking a 2 litre bottle of milk and just as I went to pour the last amount in the bottle into a cup, a thought came into my head that it would fill the cup exactly.
    Now the cup I am using isn't a regular cup I normally use and it is very wide and cone shaped and when I poured the milk it filled the cup exactly, right to the very brim. One more drop of milk and it would have over-flowed.
    It's to complete perfection, and I find this somewhat worrying. I get alot of these kind of thoughts that are almost always correct, on random things. I normally forget them quickly, but I may start noting them down in this thread lol.

I am always either really lucky or really unlucky as well. Even other people have picked up on me being really lucky even when I was younger. I just wana be normal dammit.

Edit: I knew someone would neg me and I sense an overwhelming amount of jealous folk

Edit 2: I am often good at guessing the time to the minute especially with digital clocks. And it's always certain times I can predict. Yeh.... I guess I won't be needing my rolex soon.
    Think of the millions of times you did not make a successful prediction. Those cases are less memorable so you would tend to forget them and then think you are Nostradamus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.