Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student suing Kings college Medical school for racial discrimination Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    Can you elaborate?
    mutie, i am suprised you 'avent eard about their selection computer that was programmed to deselect foreign names!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    mutie, i am suprised you 'avent eard about their selection computer that was programmed to deselect foreign names!
    I really haven't! :eek: do you have any links with more info?

Or if any Georges people are reading this, do you know what this is about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    You've pretty much nailed it there.
    but you see this is part of the problem, people being racially unaware.

you must know that indian and black are not just one big group operating non-racistly towards each other - in fact, indians and blacks have a history of being racist towards each other without a whitey within 10 miles of them.

that only made the problem much worse by completely misinterpreting it, the opposite of nailing it.

ReputationRep:
    I really haven't! :eek: do you have any links with more info?

Or if any Georges people are reading this, do you know what this is about?
    you'll need to search yourself sorry, macca. Joe COllier was the guy who blew the whistle.

they dont know about it on the whole, not the new students, but you can bet they'll jump up and down any minute in denial....

ha i got curious , heres the link -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...8/?tool=pubmed

it mentions that a lot of the peole involved have moved on... but hey... you dont really believe that. It made me very aware that med schools are not the shiny towers we want them to be. There are some very evil people working in med schools, and the emphasis is on development of the med school and their careers, not us the paltry and transient students.

ReputationRep:
    Probably failed at her degree and has an axe to grind. The race card is ever so tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it's not true, but it wouldn't surprise me. Medicine can be an elitist profession, like a lot of the older white-collar jobs (eg. law/politics). I'm not saying it's true, but if it is it's disgraceful, I'd support severe punishment, possibly even a crossing off of the doctors involved. A public institution can have no place for any form of racism or discrimination. The allogations have to be taken deadly seriously.

Also, whoever say people who get BBC at A Level are too stupid to be doctors needs a slap, and has quite possibly in one sentance surmised the issues some medial students suffer. Arrogance.

A point to the people who have automatically accused her of the "race card". It's quite a judgement to make based on one newspaper article. It is possible, certainly, but to nonchantley dismiss it just because she's black (which is essentailly what you're doing) is a dangerous stance to take.

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop using the term "race".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    I wish people would stop using the term "race".
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    you'll need to search yourself sorry, macca. Joe COllier was the guy who blew the whistle.

they dont know about it on the whole, not the new students, but you can bet they'll jump up and down any minute in denial....

ha i got curious , heres the link -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...8/?tool=pubmed

Here's two more I've found:

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b2693.full

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...sectioncode=26

To be fair it did happen in 1986, so they've had plenty of time to shape up it's act! I also think that would have been before they moved to Tooting. And judging by the ethnicities of cohorts I've seen, on the surface it's just as racist a kings.

ReputationRep:
    Here's two more I've found:

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b2693.full

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...sectioncode=26

To be fair it did happen in 1986, so they've had plenty of time to shape up it's act! I also think that would have been before they moved to Tooting. And judging by the ethnicities of cohorts I've seen, on the surface it's just as racist a kings.
    it happened after the move, toots, macca. they are an example of one place that was caught being racist, and it doesnt disclude others from carrying that policy unnoticed. but yes, i dio feel we are inm different times, and these places have nothing to gain by being racist.

i mention it just to say be aware, that institutions can be bad.

(Original post by veux)
      Experience.
      You are
      a) 17 according to your profile. What experience?
      b) Talking crap.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      Medicine is an incredibly racist snobby institution - too many middle class white girls hate that their BBF didn't get in and feel all threatened when there is a working class person there, even more so when they're a 'different colour'.
      Why is it then that medicine is one of the most diverse degree programmes? And why is it that the profession itself is a smoshboard of different ethnicities? It's not the 1930s anymore.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      Medicine is an incredibly racist snobby institution - too many middle class white girls hate that their BBF didn't get in and feel all threatened when there is a working class person there, even more so when they're a 'different colour'.
      very inaccurate.

as a group, you are making them look far too nice!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      experience.

you serious???

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      Why is it then that medicine is one of the most diverse degree programmes? And why is it that the profession itself is a smoshboard of different ethnicities? It's not the 1930s anymore.
      While I'll concede that there are a number of different ethnicities, most of them are middle-upper class. A middle class snob isn't going to care if the girl in the lecture with her is the daughter of a rich asian who speaks like her and went to a reputable private school - if she's a working class girl (different background and way of acting speaking), a colour many middle class people associate with violence, and got in with lower grades than them through an easy route (which would be seem as doing no work and not deserving it, getting a place when her friend didn't even though her friend was better educated and a better applicant) snobbery is clearly rife.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      Experience.
      Do one. You're a lying **** and you're boring.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      While I'll concede that there are a number of different ethnicities, most of them are middle-upper class. A middle class snob isn't going to care if the girl in the lecture with her is the daughter of a rich asian who speaks like her and went to a reputable private school - if she's a working class girl (different background and way of acting speaking), a colour many middle class people associate with violence, and got in with lower grades than them through an easy route (which would be seem as doing no work and not deserving it, getting a place when her friend didn't even though her friend was better educated and a better applicant) snobbery is clearly rife.
      Asians associated with violence? Maybe it's because I'm not truly middle class myself but that is not a stereotype I come across often.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WhuTom)
      I agree. I'm guessing she failed the degree or did poorly in it too.

She did the 6 year EMDP which accepts people from deprived backgrounds to gain an MBBS Medicine degree - the same as any medical school nationwide - with entry requirements as low as A-level BBC. The drop out rates for this degree program are substantially higher than the normal 5 year Medicine degree at KCL. If anyone gets BBB or BBC in A-levels they're just not good enough to do medicine, and one of the sources said she failed a 2008 exam. I don't really buy the story.
      So you have yet to attend university or receive your A level results. Congratulations.

I got BBC in my A levels in 2004 (oh by the way I bombed them the year before). I've never failed an exam in medical school, I was in the top quartile blah blah. To summarise. I'm going to be a doctor in 6 months. I've done fine. You very clearly understand nothing about medical admissions and the way the course works.

Back to the case in hand. I don't know if this girl is telling the truth. But I know a number of people who did the EDMP course. I also had an offer for it but turned it down to do the equivalent at Southampton. At times both of them felt like they were treated differently because of the course they were on, by peers and staff at KCL. They also said there were issues related to ethnicity. This was a long time ago so things may have changed but I don't find all of the claims to be outrageous based on what I have heard.

(Original post by veux)
        "A middle class snob isn't going to care if the girl in the lecture with her is the daughter of a rich asian who speaks like her and went to a reputable private school - if she's a working class girl"

If the daughter of a rich asian who went to private school in what ****ing universe does it make them working class?

Or do you think that regional accent = working class?

Way off base.

(Original post by Sarky)
          So you have yet to attend university or receive your A level results. Congratulations.

I got BBC in my A levels in 2004 (oh by the way I bombed them the year before). I've never failed an exam in medical school, I was in the top quartile blah blah. To summarise. I'm going to be a doctor in 6 months. I've done fine. You very clearly understand nothing about medical admissions and the way the course works.

Back to the case in hand. I don't know if this girl is telling the truth. But I know a number of people who did the EDMP course. I also had an offer for it but turned it down to do the equivalent at Southampton. At times both of them felt like they were treated differently because of the course they were on, by peers and staff at KCL. They also said there were issues related to ethnicity. This was a long time ago so things may have changed but I don't find all of the claims to be outrageous based on what I have heard.
          Ah but you got BBC back in the day when people used to get below an 'A' old bean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.