Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe the car you drive speaks volumes about your personality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would say that they show more about your lifestyle rather than your personality. Saying that though, the more expensive cars will show that you're affluent and also something about your personality.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is 100% false. You drive a car which falls in your budget and is comfortable and luxurious at the same time. If you go around looking for one that suits your personality..you are going to have a bad time thinking of a personality for yourself and then buying a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insiya)
    I think it is 100% false. You drive a car which falls in your budget and is comfortable and luxurious at the same time. If you go around looking for one that suits your personality..you are going to have a bad time thinking of a personality for yourself and then buying a car.
    I think you are 100% false. Maybe you drive a boring car which falls in your budget yet is 'comfortable and luxurious' at the same time. Probably a Citroen, Peugeot or Renault. Amirite? I prefer to drive a car with a little more flair personally.

I think you can tell a lot about someone by the car they drive. Maybe not so much their personality, but that comes into it a lot. If someone drives an interesting car then I'll probably like them, but unfortunately most teenagers drive boring french things which is a shame really You can also tell a lot about the condition the car is in. The interior tells you if they're a clean freak or if they do a lot of living in their car. The exterior tells you how vain they are. The mechanical condition tells you how much they enjoy driving in general. Of course all of this is a general statement, but it applies to most cars and most people.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    to start with no- i think people just buy whatever they can afford. later on though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I think you are 100% false. Maybe you drive a boring car which falls in your budget yet is 'comfortable and luxurious' at the same time. Probably a Citroen, Peugeot or Renault. Amirite? I prefer to drive a car with a little more flair personally.

I think you can tell a lot about someone by the car they drive. Maybe not so much their personality, but that comes into it a lot. If someone drives an interesting car then I'll probably like them, but unfortunately most teenagers drive boring french things which is a shame really You can also tell a lot about the condition the car is in. The interior tells you if they're a clean freak or if they do a lot of living in their car. The exterior tells you how vain they are. The mechanical condition tells you how much they enjoy driving in general. Of course all of this is a general statement, but it applies to most cars and most people.
    I aint talking about "cheap" cars. But cars dont tell everything about the personality too. I disagree with you. The interiors and the exterior of the car should obviously be tidy and not messed up because that shows how caring the person is about the car. But you dont need to buy cars that suit your personality..buy any you feel happy in.

ReputationRep:
    I aint talking about "cheap" cars. But cars dont tell everything about the personality too. I disagree with you. The interiors and the exterior of the car should obviously be tidy and not messed up because that shows how caring the person is about the car. But you dont need to buy cars that suit your personality..buy any you feel happy in.
    You don't deny it which probably means that yes, you do indeed drive a boring french hatchback :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that one buys a car to 'suit their personality', rather that a car ends up showing you a lot about a person. A car does not obviously need to be tidy inside and out to show that an owner cares about their car - I have a month's worth of empty drinks bottles and food packaging in mine and all the carpets are dirty and worn thin (in fact, I believe there is an oreo crushed into the carpet in the back somewhere :awesome:). The exterior has badly faded paint, a dent in the rear wing, a slightly buckled back bumper, a wonky aerial and chipped wheels but damn do I love my car. I fill it up with petrol, top up the engine oil (almost as often) and fix it when it breaks and he returns the favour by being reliable and starting every time. I don't take pride in my appearance and my car reflects that, but it's also a little bit insane but then again so am I.

Whether you realise it or not, a car tells others a lot about you. The same way a watch does. Sometimes a negative can tell you as much as a positive.

ReputationRep:
    No I work on Million/billionaires cars every day. A super car is not very piratical to leave in tesco car park is it now? So most of them drive average cars like R32 Golfs and use their super cars for the summer/holidays which is the correct way to do it.

You can't assume because someone drives a certain car they are rich,poor,posh or whatever else!

ReputationRep:
    You don't deny it which probably means that yes, you do indeed drive a boring french hatchback :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that one buys a car to 'suit their personality', rather that a car ends up showing you a lot about a person. A car does not obviously need to be tidy inside and out to show that an owner cares about their car - I have a month's worth of empty drinks bottles and food packaging in mine and all the carpets are dirty and worn thin (in fact, I believe there is an oreo crushed into the carpet in the back somewhere :awesome:). The exterior has badly faded paint, a dent in the rear wing, a slightly buckled back bumper, a wonky aerial and chipped wheels but damn do I love my car. I fill it up with petrol, top up the engine oil (almost as often) and fix it when it breaks and he returns the favour by being reliable and starting every time. I don't take pride in my appearance and my car reflects that, but it's also a little bit insane but then again so am I.

Whether you realise it or not, a car tells others a lot about you. The same way a watch does. Sometimes a negative can tell you as much as a positive.
    Firstly, I dont drive boring french cars.

Secondly, I care a lot for my car. She is neat and tidy from the outside as well as the inside. She is strong and reliable. And she has some pride in the way she looks. My car isnt insane. Infact, I have one of the best cars in my group circles ( one of the many comments I receive of my car )

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I dont drive boring french cars.

Secondly, I care a lot for my car. She is neat and tidy from the outside as well as the inside. She is strong and reliable. And she has some pride in the way she looks. My car isnt insane. Infact, I have one of the best cars in my group circles ( one of the many comments I receive of my car )
    What do you drive then? A little bit of insanity makes life more fun. I pray to my car each morning asking him to start and he always does, but I always ask just to make sure. We both stopped having pride in our appearances a long time ago, life is too short to really put much of an effort into how we look. That's us in my sig, a boy and his car. The armchair doesn't really come into it other than it's really comfy and now lives in my room. The stories we can tell about the journey are far more exciting, and important, than the destination.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it does, for instance I find it hard to take someone seriously if they drive a ford KA.

ReputationRep:
    How would you judge someone who drives a standard black car like something Agent Smith would drive?

ReputationRep:
    I tend to looks at peoples' cars as an extension of the personality in many ways although it is regulated by budget, this is only for people who I know are into cars. Mine's a rover 25 in metallic with a sport engine and leather seats, (two years savings gone!) which all my friends say suit my personality. My boss has a blue ford fiesta with racing stripes and he's a kid in adults clothing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    False, it speaks volumes about the amount of money you have.
    i agree. i think it only expresses your personality if you have enough money to choose your car ie not the majority of students. i think if you ask someones dream car it probably would. for example, a yellow lamborghini driving wannabe dude is different to the 1970's camper van hippie.

out of interest my dream car is the smART car, what does this say about me?:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt look right in my fiesta at all! My Land Rover speaks loads about my personality! Loud, eccentric, a little cumbersome, full of flaws yet faithful, wants to just keep going and succeed.

ReputationRep:

Oi, leave the French hatchbacks alone! :p: I think a car can say a lot about it's owner, but most of the time it only says something to people interested in cars. It's things like whether appearance is more important than capability, or where you're prepared to compromise.
    Having said that, I love cars but currently drive a 306 because I don't want to spend more money on a car I still wouldn't be completely happy with (and because I'm gearing up for a scratch or kit build!)

ReputationRep:
    Only if you have the money to spend on one. For most students no, it's whatever is available at the time of wanting to buy one for the right money. I'm buying a car at the mo, I didn't get it beause it's my dream car, I got it because it's not too expensive, it runs and I can get it in time to drive back down to uni before term starts!

Though if I see a student with a Land Rover I do automatically think '****'.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Insurance is dirt cheap, with a top speed of 62mph I aint no boy racer! She would be tax exempt if it wasn't for the labour government freezing the year at 1972.

I have wanted one since I was 6 and saved up for years to buy it, why does that make me a '****'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    False, it speaks volumes about the amount of money you have.
    So if I'm a millionaire, and I'm driving my mums 1.0L fiat scienttooo car, it means I'm poor again so suddenly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.