Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Preppy, rah, etc I'm not too keen - all the girls at my school that wear it are just rah-wannabees so I steer clear! They do have some nice hoodies though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Lol you take rep seriously...that's a bit pathetic. Personally, I don't care what anonymous strangers think of me, but hey ho.

My mannerisms and personality? What would they be then?

Also, how is this relevant to Jack Wills? You've gone really off topic, trying to distract from the fact that you stereotyped everyone for wearing it.
    No , it was an observation. I am jealous and take rep seriously, you really do jump to things don't you.

You are right though, this has derailed the thread a bit, but i am in a mood today and usually i just read something else instead of replying to what ive read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    No , it was an observation. I am jealous and take rep seriously, you really do jump to things don't you.

You are right though, this has derailed the thread a bit, but i am in a mood today and usually i just read something else instead of replying to what ive read
    It's not really jumping to things, it's making a logical deduction from what you've said. Lol fair enough. I read your description of a rah by the way...that's highly stereotypical, but anyway, what's so wrong with that? These 'rahs' aren't hurting you, so yeah, what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    A Rah for me personally is a girl from a pretty well off family, gone to private school and lived in a massive bubble her entire life. Everything she has is bought with Daddy's credit card, she has bought for her a brand new mini with a personalised number plate. She has fake blonde hair and is relatively pretty ( although wearing so much make up you might find she is very plain in reality) she wears Jack Wills clothes/ abercrombie/hollister and all is bought with Daddys money. She doesnt have a job, goes travelling with daddys money, been on a gap "yah" to asia probably with her best freinds " harrie and georgie"
    There is no " value" in anything and there is a snobbish attitude which really is the key issue here

This is a HUGE stereotype, but you get the picture....the alarming thing is that i have met far too many girls who meet this! I wish it wasnt so
    Okay I know its a huge stereotype but it's not right to judge someone one the life they have and have had, the clothes they wear, the language they use. You should judge them on their personality.

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Preppy, rah, american. I'm not too keen - all the girls at my school that wear it are just rah-wannabees so I steer clear!
    Jack Wills is not American :'). It was started in Salcombe and its slogan is "Fabulously British"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's not really jumping to things, it's making a logical deduction from what you've said. Lol fair enough. I read your description of a rah by the way...that's highly stereotypical, but anyway, what's so wrong with that? These 'rahs' aren't hurting you, so yeah, what's the problem?
    I did mention it was a huge stereotype, but so are all labels.
    As for what is wrong with them, nothing. I would prefer a rah anyday to someone who is violent or who breaks the law. I get on well with almost everyone in life, despite what i have said here, i do my best to be as freindly to the tramp on the street as to the queen. The issue is that many "rahs" really are horrible to be around, many people (an alarming amount) i have met look down on other people, and even completely blank people who do not match their background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    Okay I know its a huge stereotype but it's not right to judge someone one the life they have and have had, the clothes they wear, the language they use. You should judge them on their personality.

Jack Wills is not American :'). It was started in Salcombe and its slogan is "Fabulously British"
    Yes i compeltely agree...the thing is , poor personality and the rah background, from my experience, seem to go hand in hand very often.

ReputationRep:

God, I'm an idiot. I am SUCH an idiot. It is all over their website and stuff. I should have know that :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I did mention it was a huge stereotype, but so are all labels.
    As for what is wrong with them, nothing. I would prefer a rah anyday to someone who is violent or who breaks the law. I get on well with almost everyone in life, despite what i have said here, i do my best to be as freindly to the tramp on the street as to the queen. The issue is that many "rahs" really are horrible to be around, many people (an alarming amount) i have met look down on other people, and even completely blank people who do not match their background.
    Thankyou! Someone who prefers rahs to chavs. I understand what you're saying, but I just think you were a bit hard in your original post.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i compeltely agree...the thing is , poor personality and the rah background, from my experience, seem to go hand in hand very often.
    I don't think they do. I would say that about 1% of my college is like how you described - rah background and poor personality together. I'm at a very middle class 6th form with a majority of students being ex-private school kids. The majority of the wealthier kids are extremely nice and it's the poorer ones that want to be like them that have that snobish personality as a defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Thankyou! Someone who prefers rahs to chavs. I understand what you're saying, but I just think you were a bit hard in your original post.
    Ah well maybe so, its not my place to offend anyone, its just frustrating that people react to others wholly based on class, and look down on other people

ReputationRep:
    Ah well maybe so, its not my place to offend anyone, its just frustrating that people react to others wholly based on class, and look down on other people
    I've always found it's the poorer people who are more snobby...I wouldn't have a problem being friends with anyone providing they're nice, but sometimes, people automotically judge me and call me stuff like "posh tw*t" "stuck up w*nker" before getting to know me, solely based in their own prejudices. Inverse snobbery is a lot more common than snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they do. I would say that about 1% of my college is like how you described - rah background and poor personality together. I'm at a very middle class 6th form with a majority of students being ex-private school kids. The majority of the wealthier kids are extremely nice and it's the poorer ones that want to be like them that have that snobish personality as a defence.
    This this this.

ReputationRep:
    it's not low quality!!! do you own anything from there as proof?? Seriously, it's all really good quality stuff. Lasts yonks. Doesn't go out of fashion either depending on the items you buy.
    My friend has one of them green 'fabulously wills' jumpers and I was gonna buy one cos it felt dead cosy and looked good - but like two months later most of the lettering had come off. For £70, that's preeeetty low quality. I'm glad I didn't buy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikoghoo)
    It's been around for a while.
    Top brand, high quality, reasonably priced in my opinion. People are just used to cheap clothing these days.
    isn't it made in the same ****holes where other cotton garments are mass produced? Surely it must be, otherwise their profit margins wouldn't be so great...

Or is it made in GB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    My friend has one of them green 'fabulously wills' jumpers and I was gonna buy one cos it felt dead cosy and looked good - but like two months later most of the lettering had come off. For £70, that's preeeetty low quality. I'm glad I didn't buy one.
    I got a pair of trackies - my first ever item I think - in.. 2006, with the same type of lettering on, it started to peel a bit, but I'm still wearing them today with the same faded/peeled look.
    All my other items, (I don't tend to buy the named things any more) are in perfectly good condition after years of me wearing them.. I don't even look after them that well.. most of my clothes live on the floor unless I love them enough to hang them back up in the wardrobe :')
    Maybe it's the wash setting your friend put them on.

Also, I know it's not Jack Wills but I got a jumper from AF 3 years ago - my first item again, and I remember within a few weeks it had got small tiny rips in the cuffs and by the zip, and i though gosh this is bad, but 3 years on I still wear in the exact same condition - the small rips you can hardly notice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I like some of the stuff and would be willing to spend the £70-100 odd on those items, because they are really nice and I know that I couldn't find it in Topshop or whatever. The hoodies and gilets are lovely - I can't think of a lower priced shop that does them in the same quality or those items. However I just couldn't spend £30-60 on a t-shirt or Oxford shirt when I could just go to River Island and get the same thing for half the price.

Oh another thing that annoys me - when people wear it head to toe. It just looks stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    contrary to what is said above, Jack Wills USED to be what was really fashionable at public schools, when it was this small company which just sent out catalogues to the boarding houses of good schools.

Now most don't touch it because it is pretty much the brand for people who desperately want to look like they go to a public school instead of the local comp and wannabe social climbers.

Many of their customers buy it becuase it is what they think 'posh people' wear.
    Exactly, well said!

ReputationRep:
    I like Jack Wills, but i do think it is getting actually looked down by people in public schools, especially if you own loads of Jack Wills stuff as they think they are "too flash" and i think the general popularity now overall has put people off buying the product as many use to see it as a "small club" as not many people knew the brand but now is very common

ReputationRep:
    lol. That would cost around £20-£30 if it didn't have the branding

ReputationRep:
    Its a lesbian's make along with g-star.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.