Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why i love alcohol Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    You think smokers don't know about lung cancer? You think drug users don't know you can get hooked? You can inform people all you want about the dangers, they will still do it. Back in 'days of yore' the entire population would drink alcohol because water was not an option. It's deeply embedded in our society, it's not just going to stop.
    No, I don't think any of those things you mentioned. There's a difference between being aware of something, and actually acknowleding it and being able to objectively asses the dangers. I drink alcohol, I smoke cigarettes, I smoke cannabis. I am probably more aware about the risks then most people. That isn't the point, really.

There are either 2 scenarios here:

1. People are aware, like you say, that alcohol is more dangerous then most other drugs, yet still do it anyway and say no to other drugs.

2. People drink alcohol and don;t do other drugs because they are not aware that is is more dangerous (or that other drugs are less dangerous, depending on how you look at it.)

People should be allowed to do what they want, if people want to drink alcohol go ahead. That isn't the issue on hand. It's the fact that people don't objectively assess the dangers of it in comparison to other drugs. People will say drugs are bad and never do drugs, yet they will get wasted the following Friday night. It's this attitude that alcohol isn't a drug just because it is so socially acceptable that is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    How about you go away and do some proper research before you start spouting utter bull**** figures pulled from the depths of your *********?
    i need to stop throwing away my rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    why should i not post this?
    if i posted meaningless rubbish about a drunk old dwarf, you'd applaud me
    are you threatened by this?
    You shouldn't post it because your stating the obvious.
    You don't see people going around stating random facts do you?
    Oh and I don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    YUMM! LETS LOVE ALCOHOL! LOOK AT ALL OF THE ADVANTAGES!

Features
    People tend to look at alcohol in an acceptable fashion but the fact is that alcohol is a drug albeit a legal drug. It is an addictive drug that people use and abuse every day. People consume alcohol for various reasons, such as to relieve stress, escape from problems or to fit in at social situations. Teenagers may start drinking due to peer pressure. Others drink because they are addicted.
    The same **** could be said for caffeine...
    Function
    Alcohol increases the risk of various health conditions, such as heart and liver disease. Alcohol works directly on the central nervous system, impairing brain function. Over time, excessive alcohol consumption can destroy brain cells, resulting in various degrees of brain damage.
    The key words being....Over time....excessive alcohol consumption.....can...so basically being an alcoholic over some time can possibly destroy brain cells....no ****?!?!
    Effects
    Alcohol affects the way people behave. For instance, some people become more violent. This can lead to an increase in crime. People experience a decrease in mental alertness when drinking alcohol and may make poor decisions. Alcohol dulls the senses and alters one's perception of situations and surroundings. Alcohol also affects memory.
    Some people become more reserved and even calmer after a few. People who suffer from slight social anxiety come out of their shell after a few. People who are dicks when they are drunk....are usually dicks when they're not drunk. As far as memory goes....it's a good thing you can remember the munter you pulled the night before.
    Considerations
    Alcohol often causes people to shed their inhibitions. This can lead to more promiscuous behavior. People may have multiple sex partners, which can lead to an increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases. Women who become pregnant can transmit diseases to their unborn children. Women who drink alcohol when pregnant may have babies born with birth defects due to fetal alcohol syndrome.
    People may have multiple sex partners....alcohol involved or not. If a guy is so **** faced that he doesnt use a condom, it's unlikely he'd be able to do the deed anyway. Women who drink when pregnant deserve a slap.
    Significance
    People who drink alcohol and drive risk their own lives and the lives of other people. People who drive under the influence of alcohol are not capable of driving with their full mental and physical faculties intact. Alcohol impairs coordination, motor skills and judgment. A person who has consumed even a small amount of alcohol will have slower reflexes and reaction time than one who has not consumed any alcohol. Many lives are lost each year due to drunk drivers.
    Seriously....a person will usually decide before drinking whether or not he will be drink driving tonight. It's not the alcohol that decides whether or not the driver actually drives. It's that person's own stupid fault for actually driving. A smart sober person would have keys no where near them when they're drinking.
    Potential
    People often suffer physical injuries after consuming too much alcohol. The decrease in coordination and mental alertness can cause staggering, swaying and double vision, which may lead to falls and other injuries. Loss of consciousness can lead to head injuries and other serious conditions. Loss of consciousness due to excessive alcohol consumption may also occur when a person is driving, which ultimately leads to an accident.
    Hehe...I had a fall a week ago when I was drinking.....that was the ice's fault though. And again.... it's the stupid sober person who decides to drink and drive.
    Warning
    Alcohol can cause problems in a person's family life and work situation. People who suffer from alcoholism may have difficulty retaining a job. Friendships and romantic relationships can suffer due to excessive drinking. Family relationships can become strained. Children of alcoholic parents often suffer from low self-esteem and emotional disorders such as anxiety.
    This is really more about alcoholism than alcohol itself.....isn't it

Aww, do you still want to drink? even against your own intuiton? Why - is that logical? It's as if something, some enemy you can't see, is instigating you to drink alcohol

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Alcohol? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4569634_wh...#ixzz18xEeDgtW

More of a 'why I hate alcoholics' thread isn't it.
    Stupid people will do stupid things. Don't ruin the fun for all of us responsible people that enjoy a few bevies here and there ...

In the time it took to read that, i could have downed 3 stella's and beat my wife up.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Steezy)
      Do you think I'm talking about hash? Because I'm not. I'm talking about weed. The type of stuff that if you plant a seed in a warm area & just let it grow. Not sprayed with all types of **** like skunk is. Hash is filthy, please don't insult my intelligence.

And you can become mentally addicted to weed. I have been addicted before. So opinion is valid.
      Ok, opinion is slightly valid. Sorry, just thought you meant street hash which makes me sick whenever I'm near some crack head who decides to choose it over real weed.

Although I still disagree about becoming addicted to marijuana, I have smoked everyday for the last 2+ years and I have no troubles giving it up. Although, I usually smoke after dinner but I'm sure that doesn't really change anything.

ReputationRep:
      Alcohol makes me sober

ReputationRep:
      Dude, you need to live a little. It's fun, and harmless in moderation, so who the hell cares?

It's fun. You're just a boring whore.

ReputationRep:

Features
        People tend to look at alcohol in an acceptable fashion but the fact is that alcohol is a drug albeit a legal drug. It is an addictive drug that people use and abuse every day. People consume alcohol for various reasons, such as to relieve stress, escape from problems or to fit in at social situations. Teenagers may start drinking due to peer pressure. Others drink because they are addicted.
        Function
        Alcohol increases the risk of various health conditions, such as heart and liver disease. Alcohol works directly on the central nervous system, impairing brain function. Over time, excessive alcohol consumption can destroy brain cells, resulting in various degrees of brain damage.
        Effects
        Alcohol affects the way people behave. For instance, some people become more violent. This can lead to an increase in crime. People experience a decrease in mental alertness when drinking alcohol and may make poor decisions. Alcohol dulls the senses and alters one's perception of situations and surroundings. Alcohol also affects memory.
        Considerations
        Alcohol often causes people to shed their inhibitions. This can lead to more promiscuous behavior. People may have multiple sex partners, which can lead to an increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases. Women who become pregnant can transmit diseases to their unborn children. Women who drink alcohol when pregnant may have babies born with birth defects due to fetal alcohol syndrome.
        Significance
        People who drink alcohol and drive risk their own lives and the lives of other people. People who drive under the influence of alcohol are not capable of driving with their full mental and physical faculties intact. Alcohol impairs coordination, motor skills and judgment. A person who has consumed even a small amount of alcohol will have slower reflexes and reaction time than one who has not consumed any alcohol. Many lives are lost each year due to drunk drivers.
        Potential
        People often suffer physical injuries after consuming too much alcohol. The decrease in coordination and mental alertness can cause staggering, swaying and double vision, which may lead to falls and other injuries. Loss of consciousness can lead to head injuries and other serious conditions. Loss of consciousness due to excessive alcohol consumption may also occur when a person is driving, which ultimately leads to an accident.
        Warning
        Alcohol can cause problems in a person's family life and work situation. People who suffer from alcoholism may have difficulty retaining a job. Friendships and romantic relationships can suffer due to excessive drinking. Family relationships can become strained. Children of alcoholic parents often suffer from low self-esteem and emotional disorders such as anxiety.

Aww, do you still want to drink? even against your own intuiton? Why - is that logical? It's as if something, some enemy you can't see, is instigating you to drink alcohol

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Alcohol? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4569634_wh...#ixzz18xEeDgtW
        Go away you patronising cow.

ReputationRep:
        This thread is a bit pathetic.

Killjoy much?

ReputationRep:
          OP clearly doesn't get invited to the bar on weekends. Have fun riding the high horse alone.

ReputationRep:

Features
          Function
          Effects
          Considerations
          Significance
          Potential
          Warning

Listen yeah; alcohol is part of our way of life, it is part of british culture and if you don't like our culture, don't preach to us. Pubs are essentially british and we love alcohol, we love getting pisssed and not knowing what happened the night before.

We don't need your uppity moral values.... we love alcohol, it is part of the BRITISH CULTURE!

don't like it, go to a country which bans alcohol, one of those muslim countries!

ReputationRep:
          If I was to decide against drinking alcohol it would be because I couldnt afford to wake up in Cambridge, because I dont want to wake up in a police cell and because I dont want to wake up on a hospital bed having pissed myself. Not because of any of your sh**** reasons!

ReputationRep:
          You mislead me, misleader!

ReputationRep:
          Some people can, and do, control their alcohol intake so that they don't become violent or become of any harm to other people. Of course there are lots of exceptions; but this thread makes you sound really up yourself, so I just thought I'd disagree with it.
          • PS Helper

actually, a small amount of alcohol has a cardioprotective effect.

ReputationRep:
          x
          So you're making a massive generalisation based upon... what, exactly?

I'd hate to hear your opinion on the recreational use of drugs, you probably think anyone who even thinks about doing drugs is hellspawn.

ReputationRep:
          or am i negged for opening your eyes?
          are you terrified you had to think about alcohol
          are you feeling stupid and wondering why you ever tried to drink such a drink
          it's like drinking posion
          so what even attracted you to it?
          I can't claim to drink a lot because quite simply I don't, but do you not think that people know what drinking heavily does? Or do you want to control peoples' lives just because you claim you know better?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
        AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.