Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    You really love this emoticon don't you?

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with this... although there are others who come very close...

Nick Drake: beautiful, solemn lyrics; wonderfully talented guitarist

Gil Scott-Heron: His proto-rap poetry captured the political and social revolutions of the 70's and early 80's. Look no further than H2Ogate blues, The revolution will not be televised and Johannesberg.

Edit: There are another 30 who I'd say come close, but, I just can't be bothered to name them.... those 2 are particular favourites. To be honest, right now I'm listening to the Stones, and there is no denying Jagger and Richards have written some classic rock and roll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Yeah, people always seem to hate his voice. I can see why people don't like it, but you don't necessarily need to have a great voice to sing good songs (look at Ozzy Osbourne). :h:
    I don't hate it/ not like it. I just recognise it's probably not the best example of a great singing voice.
    I can't imagine him with another voice - in fact I actually like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    I don't hate it/ not like it. I just recognise it's probably not the best example of a great singing voice.
    I can't imagine him with another voice - in fact I actually like it.
    Great photo.

I'm really looking forward to watching I'm Not There & No Direction Home (both films about him). Got the DVDs off one of my housemates, who is on my side of the music taste rift we have got going on in our house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    I adore the Beach Boys, but he isn't the greatest songwriter ever.
    Agree, lyrically their songs are nothing special at all. I think the Beach Boys produce more admirable than enjoyable music. It's obvious there's a high degree of musicianship behind Wilson's work but I just can't feel his songs.

ReputationRep:
    its either Dylan or Nick Drake that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree - think Stuart Adamson was the best songwriter. The music is unique and interesting, and the lyrics are clever.

ReputationRep:
    Oasis fans are probably among the truest fans I've ever seen; once an Oasis never fan, always an Oasis fan that's my motto. Also, they're rock stars especially Liam what do you expect.

They'll live forever, especially in Manchester! :awesome: I don't care if they've broken America anyway. It's hardly the mark of a good musician.
    Michael Jackson, although talented is probably one of the most overrated stars ever especially when you compare him to the likes of Prince who is probably one of the most underrated stars ever don't even get me started in MJ. He didn't even write loads of his hits, he never played musical instruments and his dancing was just contrived.

Liam - legend.
    Noel - god.
    Go away.

ReputationRep:
    MATE, I don't bring this up often for obvious reasons but I was born in Wythenshawe. I WILL headbutt you to the ground if you insult me again.
    You're 16, are you? Let me tell you, you'll grow out of Oasis. And that silly nonsense of head butting people.

(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Agree, lyrically their songs are nothing special at all. I think the Beach Boys produce more admirable than enjoyable music. It's obvious there's a high degree of musicianship behind Wilson's work but I just can't feel his songs.
    Whilst I don't think Wilson is the greatest songwriter to grace this earth, Pet Sounds is without a doubt one of the greatest works of art in the 20th century, unparalleled some would even say.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where you can listen to his studio-recorded songs online without download? None of his songs are on youtube. I tried uploading a few myself - within an hour, they get taken down.

Yes. Yes, he is.

You missed 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right'.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Warrior King)
      Actually Michael Jackson did write a lot of own music and you can hardly call him overrated when you look at the amount of number 1 hits he amassed worldwide, his record sales and the fact he was respected and adored the world over.

Oasis won't live forever in Manchester. Infact the younger generation couldn't give two hoots about them. They never topped WTSMG and just remained stuck in 1995.

Michael Jackson was racking up hits by the age of 10 and was consistently a world-class performer. And I think he did play the piano.

And you can't seriously call Michael Jackson overrate and then fix godlike status onto the Gallaghers.

And actually if you claim to be a good musician or amongst the best, then you'd tend to have worldwide appeal. Oasis didn't have that and as I said nobody cared when they split up but the world mourned when Michael Jackson passed away
      You're effectively saying he had good marketing behind him, and I will give you that, he did.

What are you on about the younger generation don't give two hoots? Do you know anybody who doesn't know the words to Wonderwall sunshine?
      Michael was racking up hits because he was a good singer (but they're a penny to a dozen) but at the end of the day, marketing and the corporation got to him and the rest is history.

Also, I've just checked and WTSMG did actually reach number one in pretty much every country and in the US number 4 which you can hardly hold against them. We all know the slack jawed morons in the US find it hard to appreciate anything without auto tune/lip sync attached to it.

You can hardly compare a band splitting up to someone dying m8. I guarantee you once one of the Gallagher brothers pops his clogs this nation will go into mourning and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
      He sure is.

Love Minus Zero/No Limit
      Hey Mr. Tambourine Man
      It's Alright Ma...
      Visions of Johanna
      A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
      Ballad of a Thin Man

- all lyrical masterpieces + many more, of course.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Inversion)
      Great photo.

I'm really looking forward to watching I'm Not There & No Direction Home (both films about him). Got the DVDs off one of my housemates, who is on my side of the music taste rift we have got going on in our house.
      I can't say I've seen Im not there, but your not likely to be dissapointed with No direction home, I wasn't
      Lucky you, everyone I know laughs at my musical tastes :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      Yes. Yes, he is.

I am mesmerised.

ReputationRep:
      Wait are Oasis still making music? They're such garbage - silly teens with their Oasis phases.

MJ all the way :cool:..made the biggest impact in music.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      Yes. Yes, he is.

Ah yes! I've just realised I missed out "Tangled Up in Blue", such a very reflective and reminiscent song. I think it captures lost love and how life goes on sublimely.

Same with Positively Fourth Street, the bitterness is incredibly visceral. I love to listen to this one if I'm annoyed with someone.

Also "Masters of War", biting polemic against gung-ho leaders, warmongering and the military industrial complex. The hatred in there is so intense, just as relevant now as it was when it was written.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MoanyLisa)
      You really love this emoticon don't you?
      It's lovely_me's trademark smiley. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Warrior King)
      Typical of a Wythenshawe native.

Isn't it something like Europe's largest council estate? It should be flattened to the ground to construct an extra runway for Manchester Aiport if you ask me.

It's not like Wythenshawe or its people would be missed particularly.
      Don't insult Wythenshawe in my presence.

It's a lovely place, essentially a craphole, but lovely.

You're 16, are you? Let me tell you, you'll grow out of Oasis. And that silly nonsense of head butting people.
      You're a patronising little one, aren't you dear.

ReputationRep:
      It's lovely_me's trademark smiley. :rolleyes:

Don't insult Wythenshawe in my presence.

It's a lovely place, essentially a craphole, but lovely.

You're a patronising little one, aren't you dear.
      You're 16. 16. Of course it's going to sound patronising to you.

ReputationRep:
      I adore the Beach Boys, but he isn't the greatest songwriter ever.
      Yeah that question is massively subjective... but I am bias in my BB/BW obsession

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.