Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School Uniforms: Looking at both sides of the argument Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should school uniforms be banned?
    yes, they should be banned
    20.00%
    no, but they should continue to be frowned upon
    11.43%
    other
    68.57%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I think uniforms are good- but don't like the way that some schools are branding their PE kits with logos to make sure that the parents HAVE to buy them from the school- just money making.

As a parent I would agree with this.Thankfully at my sons school their branded uinform is actually cheaper to buy from school rather than the local school outfitters.Uniforms are part and parcel of school life, I wore one everyday (well 5 days out of 7) and it was so much easier not having to muck around deciding what to wear.Good thing too because money was tight when I was a teenager and my parents couldnt afford to buy me the latest stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wangelo)
    The poll? You mean his whole post, its actually amusing.
    Haha so true! Shame really, i'm actually all for uniforms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Good thing too because money was tight when I was a teenager and my parents couldnt afford to buy me the latest stuff.
    This is exactly why school uniforms are great, you dont have people getting picked on because their parents don't buy them the latest stuff.

Kids are evil when it comes to this kind of stuff which is why uniforms are there. So unlike the OP said, Uniforms do prevent bullying to a certain extent.

As a current secondary school student, I'll give you my opinion:

I think for the greater good, we should have a school uniform. Sure, some might argue it's expensive but what's one expensive a uniform, or buying 50 different outfits for the whole year and mix-and-matching them etc etc?

Also if there were no school uniform, I guarantee you that people will be more concerned about what they wear as opposed to what really matters - what they learn. I know people who have missed examsdue to picking what to wear. In addition, if we can wear whatever we want, do we literally mean, whatever one wants? E.g. low cut tops in the summer and huge fur coats in the winter? These items are highly inappropriate.

Also, you're in school for only a few hours a day! After that, you can wear whatever the hell you want to! You're not in school to demonstrate yourself as a wannabe catwalk model. It's about learning. Get real.

ReputationRep:
      Your first point...people work better in their own clothes....I dont know about your schools but when it is non-uniform day in school not an ounce of work gets done all day!

ReputationRep:
      School uniforms are a good thing, although they can be taken too far.

At my school we had to wear a school jumper (which was cheap) a white/grey/black shirt/polo shirt, black/grey trousers/skirt (not jeans), and black trainers or shoes. It was pretty relaxed, oh and P.E. kit was white polo shirt and navy shorts, so again, pretty vague.

My cousin had to wear a different uniform at lunch and break to the one they wore in lessons - which is pretty crazy... oh and a seperate p.e. kit, all of which had to be the official kit.

ReputationRep:
      We don't have school uniforms in Norway, and few private schools. (They don't use school uniforms anyway).... I've always kind of wanted one. It seems so much easier, knowing what to wear etc. But then again it costs money, isn't always practical etc.. So it's confusing and rather complicated .

ReputationRep:
      I'm for school uniforms for a number of reasons:

*It looks much smarter when all pupils are in uniform
      *Uniform creates a kind of unity between students
      *It prevents the whole judging thing that is so common in teenagers of one upmanship or looking down on people who can't afford certain brands or styles
      *It saves the hassle of pupils having to fuss around what to wear to school, when learning should be at the forefront of their mind. I know at my school non-uniform days for charity were the root of much speculation and chat about what we were all going to wear, that is fine as a one off but imagine it on a daily basis?!

ReputationRep:
      I think we should keep school uniforms. I generally performed better, worked harder and behaved better when wearing uniform, plus I didn't get so worried about what I had to wear etc. It also means that, once you finish school, you appreciate the freedom and being able to wear your own clothes more, rather than if you had worn your own clothes for your whole life.

ReputationRep:
      I think that wearing a uniform at school is a good thing, for the same reason that it is good for a businessman to wear a suit to his office. It maintains the idea that school is a formal environment to be taken seriously - not just a place for kids to hang out while their parents aren't home.

Apparently people are claiming that it has been proven that students perform better academically without school uniforms, but I have yet to see anyone provide a source for this?

ReputationRep:
      I like how the OP has named this thread "Looking at both sides of the argument" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I really like school uniforms lol.

They create a sense of school identity, make everyone look smarter, no judging people based on clothes, don't have to think what to wear every day.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.