Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Evaluate my diet for its strength/mass building merit.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Even so, surely 200g of protein would be no overestimate for a 207lb man?
    It depends on his muscle mass - the higher his muscle mass the higher his overall protein turnover and the greater his protein requirement. If if we used his lean body mass as a guide taking into account that he's around 200lbs at a bodyfat percentage of 16% (rough estimate) you can adjust his protein intake down further to around 160-170g per day - that is what I've seen some (good) trainers do.

This almost certainly ties into the 0.8g protein per lb figure (rounded up to 1g per lb for simplicity) on most websites. Either someone made a concerted effort to adjust for lean body mass given that most people have a bodyfat percentage of around 20% some where along the way or it was inadvertent.

Depending on the intensity of his workouts of course.
    Think of it this way, say you're trying to build a house and you need 1000 bricks to do that. If I gave you 2000 you wouldn't be able to build the house any quicker than if I gave you 1000. How could you speed up the development? Hire more builders, pay your builders to work harder, etc or maybe you need more windows.

Your recovery capacity is not unlimited - there are many different rate limiting variables. You can flood your body with protein but you will get to a point where something else is limiting your capacity to recover, maybe you need more calories, more vitamins and minerals, more rest, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I used to follow a (fairly) high carb, high protein diet, but i found my waistline balloned, and i was taking on mostly fat and not muscle. Partly because carbs were cheap, I'd use them indiscrimanetly to gain weight, (making 1 cup pasta, 1.5 cups pasta, making 1 slice toast+2 eggs into 2 slice toast 2 eggs) it was cheap and easy to get an extra 500kcal in every day by using carbs.
    In the last 2 months I've been following my current meal plan, with much less carbs and more protein and I am making strength gains, without too much bodyfat gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    I used to follow a (fairly) high carb, high protein diet, but i found my waistline balloned, and i was taking on mostly fat and not muscle. Partly because carbs were cheap, I'd use them indiscrimanetly to gain weight, (making 1 cup pasta, 1.5 cups pasta, making 1 slice toast+2 eggs into 2 slice toast 2 eggs) it was cheap and easy to get an extra 500kcal in every day by using carbs.
    In the last 2 months I've been following my current meal plan, with much less carbs and more protein and I am making strength gains, without too much bodyfat gain.
    So you had to many kcals and reduced kcals, it doesn't reflect the energy source etc.

With carbs too it is variable on the type you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    So you had to many kcals and reduced kcals, it doesn't reflect the energy source etc.

With carbs too it is variable on the type you have.
    you mean its best to stick to unproccesed carbs? potatoes, brown pasta, brown rice, brown bread, lentils etc

BTW, does it matter too much whether i use pasta or rice? i know most diet plans advise rice, but it takes forever to cook...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    you mean its best to stick to unproccesed carbs? potatoes, brown pasta, brown rice, brown bread, lentils etc

BTW, does it matter too much whether i use pasta or rice? i know most diet plans advise rice, but it takes forever to cook...
    Yes, I eat alot of wholemean pasta so its all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    EDIT: Since you claim to be the biggest member, maybes you could advise me on something. I've been barbell benching uptill now, but my gym has a weights limit. I can only put 70kg on each side of the barbell. So, basically, would I be ok, switching to dumbell pressing, since they go upto 80kg each? Would I find it harder?
    Sorry missed this bit, no I'm not biggest I'm the strongest.

You will more than likely use less weight on a DB bench - if your goal is strength you need a less homo gym, if its not then DBs will serve to build muscle pretty well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.