Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being single over Christmas/New Year .... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    ...... is horrible. This is one of the loneliest times of the year I feel. Not having someone to buy really nice presents for, to be with over Christmas. To kiss at Midnight on New Year. Argh, I really do hate being single sometimes
    Mate, chin up. Think about all the stuff you do have, and the people that are always there for you. Yes you'll feel like nothing matters. But the people that put a smile on your face, they're the one's that matter now. Have a good christmas mate, Just remember there are people a lot worse off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calamitysarah)
    oh i love being single over christmas actually..
    It's fun going out celebrating with friends and not having to worry about meeting someone nice :s I think the fun of new years eve it's not knowing who you're going to end up kissing..
    lol at your sig. i have tried so many times after stupidly putting my real name as my account name :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I really care. I am a very independant person, and the more money I have to spend on myself, the better

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad.
    You could easily argue that it's just one less person to buy a present for, one less person to have to make time for at christmas.
    I like counting down the new year with my friends

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time I HAVEN'T been single over christmas. How is it bad? I survived 19 Christmasses so far with no one, this time I just have more presents to buy...

ReputationRep:
    Be happy while you're single, you'll have lots more Christmas/New Years with a special someone

ReputationRep:
    I don't know... it's not great, but just enjoy being with your family and friends at this time of the year. Also, don't get hung up about kissing someone at midnight on NYE. If you become obsessed with it and it doesn't happen, you'll be that much more disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it makes a difference at Christmas, because then I'm with my family. New Year is normally rubbish, so it would be nice to have someone special to spend it with.

ReputationRep:
    First time with a boyfriend over christmas and new year. Won't be much different really as we won't see each other over christmas and I won't get to kiss him at midnight on new years as he might be going out with his friends

ReputationRep:
    I'll be single this year and I was last year too. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I still have friends/family to spend it with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    :hugs:

Chins up singletons Have a Merry Christmas! xx
    Merry Christmas to you too .

What I don't like is when friends choose to have "a quiet one in" with their boyfriends....instead of seeing you on New Years =/.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first Christmas/New Year that I've been in a relationship for a long time. However, he isn't actually going to be here for Christmas or New Year (LDR - he's coming in between) which, in my opinion, is worse than being single. I can't even find someone new at New Year. I'm GUARANTEED no kiss at midnight. I win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mint123456)
    Merry Christmas to you too .

What I don't like is when friends choose to have "a quiet one in" with their boyfriends....instead of seeing you on New Years =/.
    Me and my boyfriend are hitting the town with all his friends coz theirs nothing WORSE than staying in New years, hehe

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help and advice and of course the banter :P

Christmas was really good with all the family and New Year's looking to be pretty good as well

Still it would be nice to be in a relationship but there's always next year
    Hope you've all had a fantastic Christmas whether your single or in a relationship

And ...

(Original post by vilage_idoit)
    Off topic: war studies sounds well interesting, obviously it's about war but what specifically?
    Its a pretty good subject, its a combination of Military History and a militaristic view of International Relations. I'll link you to the Uni of Kent subject page for it
    http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/underg...jects/war.html

ReputationRep:
    it's worse when you've just broken up! I wouldn't mind if I'd been single for about 6 months, but 4 weeks, when you had already made plans, now that sucks but never mind, things happen for a reason aye!

Imagine being ill over Christmas/ New Year.... There are far worse situations to be in than not being taken!!

ReputationRep:
      I'm enjoying my first single Christmas for years. I'm staying with family in a part of the country where I don't know anyone. So its not even like I'm likely to meet someone over the festive period. I'm enjoying spending time with my family though, I'll have plenty of time for romance at other times. Although it is kind of weird that /everyone/ in my family is coupled up. Literally every single person. They are all married even, except my brother, but he his girlfriend have 3 kids. I am the only single person here. Lol. Still perfectly happy, though.

ReputationRep:
      Hey, im single too, girlfriend led me on and broke up with me in november but im ok during this time, i have friends and family to keep me company had a brilliant christmas and i will have a good new years day, just take your mind off it and be with friends and family.

ReputationRep:
      I think being single over new years/xmas is fine, I spent most time over xmas/new years with my family

Plus you dont need to buy presents for your partner over christmas if your single :lol:

ReputationRep:
      Spend time with your friends / family, it gets rid of that loneliness.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.