Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't lose weight, need ideas please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    This. Don't eat under 1600 preferably.

You lost 3.6lbs a week? Please don't advocate this, it's not healthy at all.

In bold could be perhaps some of the worst advice given on these forums, i've ever seen.

OP, DO NOT cut out carbs under any circumstances. Unlike what viksta says here, your body will not turn to fat for energy. It will turn to the next source, which will most likely be protein. The only time when your body burns fat as an energy source is when you do exercise on an empty stomach, however, this isn't recommended either, as it may hinder your metabolism early on in the morning.

Viksta's second point is close to the truth. You do need protein, but ultimately, you need more carbs. Because when you run out of carbs, your body will turn to the protein for energy, and the protein will be used for energy rather than muscle recovery after working out. The sources he's said are right however. Fish and lean meats are preferred, however, there's nothing wrong with a nice steak or a bit of beef. Cottage cheese & egg whites are also good source, but don't overlook peanut butter. It provides protein, and healthy fats, yes, healthy fats.

Third point isn't worth talking about, as it's that badly put. Admittedly, the more fibre you eat, the more you'll "go" if you get what I mean. However, it won't speed your metabolism up at all. What speeds your metabolism up, is more muscle, not a food source.

Viksta's fourth point may actually hold some truth. I remember reading somewhere that a colder shower in the morning helps burn fat, but again, I woulden't recommend it. 1/2lb may be 1/2lb too much.

Without carbs, if you manage to do a 15-30 minute run, i'll eat my hat. Seriously. What's your body gonna use for energy? You'll feel lathargic and energyless. For cardio, I recommend HIIT. 20 minutes should be enough. 1 minute sprint, 1 1/2 minute walk, rinse and repeat. It gives your metabolism a boost afterwards.

Retaining muscle mass is important, but muscle mass is mostly maintained with a high enough calorie intake. Losing weight should be a very slow process if done properly which will gain better results. At most 1lb-1.5lbs a week should be lost.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/modules....rticle&sid=119

Read that article, but ignore the weight gain part to work out your BMR. Eat only about 300 calories below this.

Getting your macronutrients throughout the day is important. 0.5g of fat per lb of bodyweight is needed. Do not think of fat as bad. Because it isn't. You need it.
    Well its up to you what you want to believe, but it worked for me

Firstly your body will not turn to protein as fats are there simply in cases of lack of carbs, it is out reserve fuel tank, if you up your protein intake and combine your diet with weight training, not only will you lose weight and maintain mucle mass, but you could even build muscle mass!
    SEE THIS LINK ABOUT HOW CARB FREE BURNS FAT!
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq...tisketosis.htm

Your second point pretty much agrees with my point, but again i must stress, fat is simply there as a reservce fuel tank in the lack of carbohydrates

Third point: agreed entirely, muscle does contribute to metabolism, however so does how much you eat, as your body is like a machine, if you feed it more, it becomes used to eat, and if what you feed is calory free, you are increasing your bodys 'want' for food, without putting on weight

As for your link, it takes us to a bodybuilding forum, and i must stress that this thread is about losing weight and not building muscle

At the end of the day, you may 'um' and 'ah' over my proposed diet, but 1. Many dietition claim a carbs free diet works and 2. It worked for me, 13.8st to just under 12st in around 7/8 weeks is quite phenomenal, so you can see why im so passionate about this diet plan

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    This is what is known as 'broscience' and it's mostly rubbish.

You don't need to cut all carbs, eat loads of fibre and drink ice cold water. It won't help. Just exercise, watch the calories and eat a varied diet. If you are patient and consistent enough, you will get used to eating less and you won't realise you're losing weight.

The emphasis is really on cardio for someone who is struggling to lose weight. Adding a weight regime is hard work, requiring extra motivation and is really only for bodybuilders who need to maintain their god-like physique whilst they cut for a competition.
    You probably don't have much muscle to maintain as you haven't built any, so don't worry about that.
    Well diet plays a large part not only during a diet phase, but also in general life. If your diet does not allow you to maintain a certain weight i.e. you eating too much for your specified weight, then exercise will have to be increased, the alternative is lowering you calory intake. You've also written 'watch the calories' so you agree with this point, however what do you mean by 'watch', im guessing you mean 'dont consume too many' or 'cut some calories' in which case, what calories are you going to cut? cut protein, i think not? cut fibre, has barely any calories? so it falls on carbs once again!

As for combining weights, i never said 'oh do 1000 sets of 1000KG dumbbells blah blah blah'. Combining weight exercises could just to do 20 sit-ups a day and 20 press ups the next. At the end of the day, you will need to maintain if not build some muscle mass in order to increase your metabolism and muscle is what breaks down starch and glucose into 'energy'

As for the sledge at the end...nice attempt at some humour there, however assuming that i recommended combining weights, i think its comprehensible that i inadvertently 'built' some muscle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)

Firstly your body will not turn to protein as fats are there simply in cases of lack of carbs, it is out reserve fuel tank, if you up your protein intake and combine your diet with weight training, not only will you lose weight and maintain mucle mass, but you could even build muscle mass!

Carbs are needed whatever the circumstances. Don't think i'm not talking from experience as well. I started out fat. I did exactly the same thing you did. Cut out carbs, they equal fat right? No they don't. Extra calories equal fat. Your body needs fuel. That fuel is carbohydrates. All your simply doing by providing your body with more protein instead of carbs is giving your body an alternate energy source. Instead of being use for muscle recovery, your body is using protein, you don't want that. Carbs are equal to protein in calories. 1g of carbs&protein equals 4 calories. Yes, you need to reduce carbs, but not completely, that's just stupid. Eating too many calories leads to a weight gain, just like reducing them under your BMR leads to weight loss. Cutting out carbs is a waste of time to be honest. Especially when their equal in calories as protein is. Yes, your body needs protein, but by eating more protein than carbs, all your doing is providing your body with a different energy source. As long as OP has a calorie deficit she will lose weight.

Im well aware of ketosis. And it does work. However, it's extremely hard to carry off because you need to get the balance just right. I doubt OP has the time to bother with ketosis, or the money. Foods high in protein ultimately cost more than foods high in carbs. What's wrong with OP using a tried and tested method to lose weight instead of making it more complex? As long as you make a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Why change that?

Your second point pretty much agrees with my point, but again i must stress, fat is simply there as a reservce fuel tank in the lack of carbohydrates.

Your body will turn to anything else that's been eaten first. Being on a calorie deficit all day is not effective. You get tired and lethargic.

Third point: agreed entirely, muscle does contribute to metabolism, however so does how much you eat, as your body is like a machine, if you feed it more, it becomes used to eat, and if what you feed is calory free, you are increasing your bodys 'want' for food, without putting on weight.

Yeah, the more muscle you have the quicker your metabolism is. But your metabolism isn't unlimited. If it was, everyone would be thin. The simple idea that if you eat more it'll be quicker is wrong.

As for your link, it takes us to a bodybuilding forum, and i must stress that this thread is about losing weight and not building muscle.

If you'd read the webpage correctly, then you would realise that it isn't about body building. Its about working out your BMR. I mentioned to ignore the weight gain part. If you'd paid attention you'd notice that.

At the end of the day, you may 'um' and 'ah' over my proposed diet, but 1. Many dietition claim a carbs free diet works and 2. It worked for me, 13.8st to just under 12st in around 7/8 weeks is quite phenomenal, so you can see why im so passionate about this diet plan.

Phenomenal? I don't count losing 3.6lbs a week phenomenal. It's unsafe. The end result will not be good. It may have worked for you, but please never advocate fast weight loss on these forums. It's never recommended because by undereating that much, you can do yourself some damage. Believe me when I say this. Speaking from experience, losing weight quickly is not the answer. You get obsessed by food, one thing leads to another, and you've got a problem with food. That's never good.

Thanks
    My post was neg repped by you because you don't agree with it? How mature.

OP. Please don't try to cut carbs or anything like that. Make a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Well diet plays a large part not only during a diet phase, but also in general life. If your diet does not allow you to maintain a certain weight i.e. you eating too much for your specified weight, then exercise will have to be increased, the alternative is lowering you calory intake. You've also written 'watch the calories' so you agree with this point, however what do you mean by 'watch', im guessing you mean 'dont consume too many' or 'cut some calories' in which case, what calories are you going to cut? cut protein, i think not? cut fibre, has barely any calories? so it falls on carbs once again!

As for combining weights, i never said 'oh do 1000 sets of 1000KG dumbbells blah blah blah'. Combining weight exercises could just to do 20 sit-ups a day and 20 press ups the next. At the end of the day, you will need to maintain if not build some muscle mass in order to increase your metabolism and muscle is what breaks down starch and glucose into 'energy'

As for the sledge at the end...nice attempt at some humour there, however assuming that i recommended combining weights, i think its comprehensible that i inadvertently 'built' some muscle
    Well losing weight isn't about eating certain foods that cause a weight loss, or stopping eating foods that cause a weight gain. No. It's about controlling calories. To be fair, calorie content is higher in certain foods like carbs and fats but we still need carbs and fats in our diet (key word, varied diet). Carbs are a vital source of energy and nutrients, cutting them out in the long term can lead to malnutrition and cutting them out in the short term will lead to unmaintainable results. You just eat less - its fairly simple.

The body can't build muscle and cut fat at the same time very well. In fact, your gains will probably be so little you may as well not bother. Instead, what happens is people bulk (build muscle, gain fat) then cut (maintain muscle, lose fat). What I was saying was that if OP has only ever tried to lose fat (ie. never bulked), it's probably not worth wasting time maintaing any muscle as he hasn't got any to lose! Cardio will be fine to maintain what muscle he has. When he has cut down sufficiently first, he can then think about bulking.

I would always suggest cutting first if you are not happy with your current physique because if you bulk straight away, you will only be more unhappy when you put on a bit of fat and you will most likely stop and waste time and money.

There's no need to be an ******* about it. What you're suggesting is based on broscience (which is made up) whereas what I am suggesting has been proven and is recommended by Doctors worldwide. I win.

EDIT: Just found out some research proving your advice is *******s: New England Journal of Medicine, 2003; found that people on the Atkins diet did not lose weight because they were eating less carbs, but because they were eating less overall: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...lossmyths.aspx (number 7)

ReputationRep:
    My post was neg repped by you because you don't agree with it? How mature.

OP. Please don't try to cut carbs or anything like that. Make a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.
    Haha he did the same to me

I'm saying the EXACT same thing as you as well. That guy is an idiot...

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight is ridiculously easy. Run, run and run some more. And eat less. Simples. Gaining musle is a real challenge. Working all your muscles and torturing your stomach so it nearly bursts.

ReputationRep:

SEE THIS LINK ABOUT HOW CARB FREE BURNS FAT!

Your second point pretty much agrees with my point, but again i must stress, fat is simply there as a reservce fuel tank in the lack of carbohydrates

Third point: agreed entirely, muscle does contribute to metabolism, however so does how much you eat, as your body is like a machine, if you feed it more, it becomes used to eat, and if what you feed is calory free, you are increasing your bodys 'want' for food, without putting on weight

As for your link, it takes us to a bodybuilding forum, and i must stress that this thread is about losing weight and not building muscle

At the end of the day, you may 'um' and 'ah' over my proposed diet, but 1. Many dietition claim a carbs free diet works and 2. It worked for me, 13.8st to just under 12st in around 7/8 weeks is quite phenomenal, so you can see why im so passionate about this diet plan

Thanks
    Of course it works you moron, you're cutting out the body's main source of energy! No one is denying that it works, we're saying it's unhealthy - which it is.

Read any medical journal on healthy, maintainable weight loss and it will tell you that the best way to lose weight is by changing your lifestyle to become more active and eating healthily, with a calory defeceit.
    It will also tell you that crash diets DO work, but only in the short term, and do not offer guarantees of a maintainable weight. If you consistently do crash diets, you will become very ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?
    Definitely going to work - gym. Put the rowing machine on the highest setting, and go fast enough to do 500m in under 2 minutes. Take a short break and repeat. Most people don't push themselves, and just do "okay", which is why they don't lose weight. Good luck.

ReputationRep:

I know. He's making something so easy seem to difficult.

Like you said above, of course he lost weight. Practically starving yourself and depleteing your body of energy will result in weight loss. However, 9 times out of 10, it kills your metabolism and you end up dreadfully thin with no muscle mass.

However, his idiotic reply is overshadowed by the 2500 calorie exercise guy. Dear god. That's all I can say. :headfire:

ReputationRep:

errr, first of all, i dint neg rep anybody

and secondly....guess we'll just agree to disagree, I think we all made valid points, I was just speaking from experience of how I lost weight, and if you guys disagree with that, then so be it...

ReputationRep:
    I know people are saying to cut carbs and that's fine if it works for you. I live off pasta and if I once tried cutting carbs out after 5 and it didn't last a week haha. I lose more weight eating carbs, depending on what it is. I do slimming world and it's great just limit yourself to two slices of bread a day essentially and not mixing pasta/potatoes with meats. That is essentially the basis of the diet and it's always worked for me even when I haven't stuck at it religiously. It's great because you can try new recipes and save up your 'syns' (like a points allowance) and then treat yourself so you feel rewarded for your efforts whilst still sticking at the diet. Other people have mentioned great ideas though for losing weight if a diet like this isn't your sort of thing, it honestly depends on motivation, self awareness and lifestyle . Also, exercise is key to weight loss and I know you are doing it but maybe change your type of exercise now as what you're doing isn't effective. I don't understand all the science behind it but interval training is really good and I use Hannah Waterman's Body Blitz dvd which uses interval training. Yes she's annoying, but bearable. Also I am not a believer in celeb fitness dvd's but my mom got this one and it really works. Plus you can do certain sections as I always do two of them and this normally takes me about 35/40 mins. How about weighing yourself as well and recording weight loss weekly and do the same with body measurements. This way you'll be able to see a difference and it will make you feel good and motivated more. Good luck though, my diet starts again monday but I'm exercising this week so weigh day on sunday doesn't completely depress me after xmas haha.

ReputationRep:
    errr, first of all, i dint neg rep anybody

and secondly....guess we'll just agree to disagree, I think we all made valid points, I was just speaking from experience of how I lost weight, and if you guys disagree with that, then so be it...
    Mate. I get your point. I really do. I lost 5 stone, doing exactly what you did. I ****ed up. I got down to a horrendously low weight, and i've had to slowly build myself up again. Cutting carbs over a long period of time is a bad thing to do. Trust me.

ReputationRep:

Absolute rubbish. Seriously man. Don't give out advice like that again. What exercise burns 2500 calories a day? Jesus christ.
    it.

of course not you idiot its just a example to illustrate the point, ******.

seriously two nobs have quoted this use some common sense, get off your high horse

anyway... rage aside

FOR THE ****ERS...

..a better example would be..

2hrs of aerobics can burn anything up to 1200, so to lose weight eat 2000 or whatever you require (yes more than 1200 cos you have to factor in general living/ movement, eg: idle you would need say... 2000 calories + 1200 aerobics= 3200), so to lose weight you would need to eat less than 3200, healthy calories depending on how quick you wanna do it. But eating a huge amount less then you currently do is bad for you,... take it steady Eat less. do more.

ReputationRep:
    Consume less calories than you burn.

ReputationRep:
    Eat less and run like ****. simples

ReputationRep:
    Here's something I found in my email:

Here are 10 fat-burning tips for people on the go:

1. When you first wake up commit to 10 minutes of continuous exercise.

Choose only three movements and perform each in succession without stopping for 10 minutes.

For example, Monday you can perform modified push-ups, followed by crunches for your abs followed by stationary lunges.

On Tuesday you can perform free-standing squats with hands on hips, double crunch for abs,

and close grip modified push-ups (hands 3" apart) for your triceps. Just 10 minutes! Just take a quick breather when you need it.

2. Perform timed interval walking in your neighbourhood or at lunch. If it takes 10 minutes to walk to a certain destination near your office

or in your neighbourhood, try to make it in eight minutes. You can also do this first thing in the morning before work as well as on your

lunch break.

3. If you have stairs in your home or in your work place, commit to taking the stairs a specific number of times.

Tell yourself that you'll take the stairs six or eight times (no matter what).

4. While seated, perform some isometric exercise to help strengthen and tighten your muscles. For example, while in a seated position,

simply contract the abdominals for 30 seconds while breathing naturally. You can also tighten and contract your legs for 60 seconds.

Perform about three sets per area. You'll feel your muscles get tighter in just three weeks if you perform this a few times per week.

5. For about £10 you can invest in a pedometer. It's a small device you can carry that records the amount of miles you walk per day.

Each week simply try to add just a bit more to the mileage. For example, let's say you walk one mile total during the day in the normal

course of activities. Simply try to make it two miles total the following week. Just make a game of it. You'll burn more calories.

6. Tired at night and just want to sit in front of the TV? Try this technique: take periodic five-minute exercise breaks and perform

some muscle stimulating and calorie burning exercise. For example, take five minutes and perform only ab crunches.

Then, when it's time for another five-minute exercise break, perform modified push-ups for five minutes.

Then for a final five-minute break, perform stationary lunges.

Try to do as many as possible in 5 minutes and try to beat your amount of reps during each subsequent break.

It won't seem daunting because it's only 5 minutes at a time, split over a 30 or 60 minute timeframe.

Instead of rest breaks, you'll take exercise breaks. You don't really need to watch that new advertisement, do you?

7. How about performing one exercise movement per day for 7 to 10 minutes? For example, Monday: free-standing squats for 7 minutes. Tuesday: chair dips for 7 minutes. Wednesday: crunches and hip lifts off the floor for 7 minutes. Thursday: modified push-up for 7 minutes. Friday: stationary lunges for 7 minutes. It's quick, simple and teaches consistency.

8. Want things even simpler? Take the longest route every time you have to walk somewhere - even if it's to a co-workers office.

9. Double-up the stairs. Every time you take the stairs, simply take a double step or every other stair.

It will be just like lunges and the Stairmaster combined. Great for the legs and bum!

10. Perform any of the above with your partner or a friend. I'm sure you can find someone who is in the same situation.

The support will give you more motivation and you just may find that you can create even more workout time for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Singleton)
    of course not you idiot its just a example to illustrate the point, ******.

seriously two nobs have quoted this use some common sense, get off your high horse

anyway... rage aside

FOR THE ****ERS...

..a better example would be..

2hrs of aerobics can burn anything up to 1200, so to lose weight eat 2000 or whatever you require (yes more than 1200 cos you have to factor in general living/ movement, eg: idle you would need say... 2000 calories + 1200 aerobics= 3200), so to lose weight you would need to eat less than 3200, healthy calories depending on how quick you wanna do it. But eating a huge amount less then you currently do is bad for you,... take it steady Eat less. do more.
    Slightly better put this time. However, it's far to easy to assume that OP's BMR is 2000. She'd have to be **** big for her BMR to be that high.

first of all, it's really not worth arguing about, i believe different things work for different people, and it's up to the individual what method you use.

thank you everyone for your advice though, it's much appreciated ishall take most of it into consideration haha, and do my best

(Original post by purplesky)
    I agree with everything you've said here. People always say cut out fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate etc. and I personally rarely eat those things but people just think it's that easy. I have PCOS too (diagnosed myself through google as well lol) and luckily I don't have any of the "nasty symptoms" except the trouble with losing weight. I was eating about 300 cals a day at one point when I was really frustrated about dieting for 2 months and losing nothing and I only lost a couple of pounds which was obviously temporary. I'm not super-overweight or anything but it's v. frustrating...Out of interest, did you take medication and did it help with weight issues? Because since I was diagnosed the doctors haven't bothered doing anything about it really.

Sorry, OP for going a bit off-topic but you never know, there could be an underlying cause (unlikely but possible) - don't worry about it but just be aware of other things which might not be right with your body in case they are linked. I never would have been diagnosed if I wasn't a bit of a hypochondriac lol.

Good luck
    i googled PCOS too, and i have a couple of friends with it, i didn't realise the weight was a symptom! forgive my ignorance haha. i don't have that, and don't think it would be an illenss, but if nothing works in the long run it may be worth asking a doctor.

i've not taken a proper medicated diet pill or anything, someone gave me some of the acai berry tables that everyone was raving about a while ago, and they did absolutely nothing at all haha!

ps. i'm not **** big haha! :P but what's BMR, i've heard of BMI lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rishz)
    Here's something I found in my email:

Here are 10 fat-burning tips for people on the go:

1. When you first wake up commit to 10 minutes of continuous exercise.

Choose only three movements and perform each in succession without stopping for 10 minutes.

For example, Monday you can perform modified push-ups, followed by crunches for your abs followed by stationary lunges.

On Tuesday you can perform free-standing squats with hands on hips, double crunch for abs,

and close grip modified push-ups (hands 3" apart) for your triceps. Just 10 minutes! Just take a quick breather when you need it.

2. Perform timed interval walking in your neighbourhood or at lunch. If it takes 10 minutes to walk to a certain destination near your office

or in your neighbourhood, try to make it in eight minutes. You can also do this first thing in the morning before work as well as on your

lunch break.

3. If you have stairs in your home or in your work place, commit to taking the stairs a specific number of times.

Tell yourself that you'll take the stairs six or eight times (no matter what).

4. While seated, perform some isometric exercise to help strengthen and tighten your muscles. For example, while in a seated position,

simply contract the abdominals for 30 seconds while breathing naturally. You can also tighten and contract your legs for 60 seconds.

Perform about three sets per area. You'll feel your muscles get tighter in just three weeks if you perform this a few times per week.

5. For about £10 you can invest in a pedometer. It's a small device you can carry that records the amount of miles you walk per day.

Each week simply try to add just a bit more to the mileage. For example, let's say you walk one mile total during the day in the normal

course of activities. Simply try to make it two miles total the following week. Just make a game of it. You'll burn more calories.

6. Tired at night and just want to sit in front of the TV? Try this technique: take periodic five-minute exercise breaks and perform

some muscle stimulating and calorie burning exercise. For example, take five minutes and perform only ab crunches.

Then, when it's time for another five-minute exercise break, perform modified push-ups for five minutes.

Then for a final five-minute break, perform stationary lunges.

Try to do as many as possible in 5 minutes and try to beat your amount of reps during each subsequent break.

It won't seem daunting because it's only 5 minutes at a time, split over a 30 or 60 minute timeframe.

Instead of rest breaks, you'll take exercise breaks. You don't really need to watch that new advertisement, do you?

7. How about performing one exercise movement per day for 7 to 10 minutes? For example, Monday: free-standing squats for 7 minutes. Tuesday: chair dips for 7 minutes. Wednesday: crunches and hip lifts off the floor for 7 minutes. Thursday: modified push-up for 7 minutes. Friday: stationary lunges for 7 minutes. It's quick, simple and teaches consistency.

8. Want things even simpler? Take the longest route every time you have to walk somewhere - even if it's to a co-workers office.

9. Double-up the stairs. Every time you take the stairs, simply take a double step or every other stair.

It will be just like lunges and the Stairmaster combined. Great for the legs and bum!

10. Perform any of the above with your partner or a friend. I'm sure you can find someone who is in the same situation.

The support will give you more motivation and you just may find that you can create even more workout time for yourself.
    This is really good advice! Even I might try this :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    I agree with everything you've said here. People always say cut out fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate etc. and I personally rarely eat those things but people just think it's that easy. I have PCOS too (diagnosed myself through google as well lol) and luckily I don't have any of the "nasty symptoms" except the trouble with losing weight. I was eating about 300 cals a day at one point when I was really frustrated about dieting for 2 months and losing nothing and I only lost a couple of pounds which was obviously temporary. I'm not super-overweight or anything but it's v. frustrating...Out of interest, did you take medication and did it help with weight issues? Because since I was diagnosed the doctors haven't bothered doing anything about it really.

Sorry, OP for going a bit off-topic but you never know, there could be an underlying cause (unlikely but possible) - don't worry about it but just be aware of other things which might not be right with your body in case they are linked. I never would have been diagnosed if I wasn't a bit of a hypochondriac lol.

Good luck
    When I talked about this (before being diagnosed) with our sixth form's doctor (free treatment and felt more condifent to talk about it to someone who has young patients all the time - talking to someone really old man would be a bit awkward for me), she gave me pills for 6 months. They weren't normal ones because they had more of some hormones in them. They helped with my periods, my skin, my hair (I had sooo much hair falling off during the day) and my body (I had apple shaped body where all the fat was on my stomach area and that's typical for males. The pear shape where the fat is on hips, thighs and bum). My periods are now fine and my skin is looking better. My skin used to be really oily, I had to put powder on my face after every lesson. But now it's not oily at all. My hair isn't falling off anymore and my body shape has clearly changed.

If there are any insulin problems (I had MANY blood tests done) they may give you medication for that. I don't know if there are the same medicine brands so I can't say anything about that. If you would like to know about different medications just google "soulcysters forum" or "pcos support forum". You'll find few different forums from there. If I remember right, metformin was quite popular medication for these problems on the forum. I can't remember what my medicine's brand's name is but my doctor said that they are all basicly the same (when I had my first appointment I had a paper that told all my problems, all the tests I want and what medication I would like to have. Haha I sound really neurotic and controlling, like Sheldon. But I have had really bad doctors so I want to be sure.)

"The fat" doesn't look so bad anymore when it's on my bum and hips. My body looked worse when I didn't have a waist. But I'm not gaining weight now even though I'm eating quite much compared to my 150-1000 kcal menu. I haven't even been exercising lately (damn cold winter in Finland, I would love to walk for hours but not in a snow storm) so it's a miracle to me because I used to gain weight really easily. I have lost a few pounds but I try not to look at the numbers on the scale because they made me crazy last time. I bet when I eat less and have my normal exercising routine back I lose a lot of weight.

If you aren't happy with your doctor, choose another one. Check those forums and maybe write some medicines' names down. You can always ask your doctor if s/he could write you a prescription for any of these. Had you any blood tests done?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.