Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WHY ON EARTH do you aim so high in your studies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Without hard work and discipline man is effectively an animal.

ReputationRep:
    welll....im an athiest, so life is like my one chance to make it, yeah?

without life, i would have nothing. NOTTHTINNG.
    so i choose school for hope for success and achievement so that i can be remembered after death, like my spirit will live on through the books i write or whatever. Like alexander mcqueen, hes still here in his clothes, and that part of him will be remembered.

achievment makes you feel worthy and without worthyness you lose the will to live because, i guess, you feel like you're nothing. so go out there, mate, and achieve something with your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student23)
    Hello all;

I've seen some people who are VERY motivated and commited to a high standard in their university studies..

Could you please share with us the reasons why you aim high in your studies?

Personal reasons? social aspects? employability prospects?

I need some 'motivation' to aim for a first class degree...

Cheers!
    If you don't aim high, you won't even get average. If you aim at something average, you are more likely to end up much lower than that.

ReputationRep:
    The same reason I do most things. Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Because i'm scared of failing . . .

ReputationRep:
    That horrific feeling in the pit of my stomach of being a total failure if I don't perform to the upmost of my abilities.

ReputationRep:
    It's all I have.

ReputationRep:
    a) brought up knowing that i'm in biiig trouble if I don't get the best grades ! (like...scary amounts of trouble!)
    b) this then made me feel like it wasn't good enough to get less than the best
    c) i know i can, if i try hard enough, and will be disappointed if i don't get the best grades/standards
    d) my mother got a 2:1 overall and i want to do better than her to prove i'm not completely thick and nothing else seems to work. apparently she won't be proud until i have a first.
    e) i really want a good job and money and a comfortable life-style
    f) it's interesting
    g) used to working hard, not an easy habit to give up completely! :P

ReputationRep:
    the truth is no one wants to be homeless

ReputationRep:
    Aim for A, you'll probably get a B.

Aim for a B, you'll probably get a C.

Aim to just pass, you'll probably just fail.

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Work hard now and it will pay off in terms of money and a career later.
    ... Or so they say :sneakydevil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Sounds like defeatist nonsense to me.
    by all means don't aim high then, won't affect me. look at all the successful people in the world and tell me that they didn't aim high

ReputationRep:
    I take pride in achieving well academically and I enjoy most of the work that I do. Ultimately, I want to be a teacher, so it's not like future investment bankers where I HAVE to go to the best uni and HAVE to get a first. I just want to challenge myself, learn a lot and hopefully become the best possible teacher that I can.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I hate looking back knowing that I could have done things differently/better and having regrets about it. The easiest way to avoid those kinda situations is to do the right thing the first time round.

That's one of my general life attitudes. I really hate regrets. So I work as hard as I can, so that I don't end up looking back thinking "you could have done better than that" and kicking myself for it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Because I would love to carry on learning about the subjects I love (science and math), eventually to study medicine

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem high lol - I've read academic papers and I don't think producing academic work is above me at all.

Like asking a really hot guy why he wants to get with really hot girls.

ReputationRep:
    So they can buy Lamborghinings and Aston Martinings.

ReputationRep:
    because i can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    What the hell are you talking about?

You said if you aim for an A you'll probably get a B, and I'm saying that's defeatist NONSENSE. If you aim for an A, there's every chance you'll get an A.
    I meant it the other way around. It's not guaranteed that you'll get what you aim for, but the higher you aim the higher you get. Read my post properly next time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.